Kef Egg Alternatives

kev3

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a Yamaha RX-V640 RDS & a speaker package.

The Kef Eggs KHT 2005.2 was my first choice, but after hearing that people feel the centre channel is a bit weak. I would like to consider some alternatives for my £800..
Any suggestions please as i do have room for floor standing speakers.

Thanks.

Originally posted by kev3

If you have room for floorstanders then check out the Monitor Audio Bronze package here:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=MONB4AVBE

It comprises of 2 B4 floorstanders, matching centre, bi/dipole rears AND a nice little subwoofer. Very good value at £750 IMO.

If you don't want floorstanders then for £650 you can get the same package but with the smaller standmount B2 fronts.

If you want something a lot smaller then hifibitz also list the JM Lab sib/cub package at what seems like a good price. Don't know how they compare with the Eggs though.

Matt.

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself, but floorstanders are out of the question.

I have just purchased a Pioneer 812 and a REL Quake subwoofer. I intend to add the new speakers shortly. My current favourites are the B&W VM1's - anyone any opinions out there?

I listened to them back-to-back with the KEF Eggs and imho they were much superior - although i'll be the 1st to admit I'm no expert!!

The Kef Eggs KHT 2005.2 was my first choice, but after hearing that people feel the centre channel is a bit weak.

Kev3,
I'm in the same situation as you, except I don't have room for floorstanders. And I suppose I was one of the people who posted their concern about the KEF's centre channel. I stand by that concern, but I continue to wonder if the KEF's centre sound is something one just gets used to??? So many others seem to like their 'eggs'.
Anyways, other systems that have been suggested to me are the JMLabs Sib and Cubs (sold at Creative Audio for the same price as the eggs) - and in bundles with the receiver you want.
Also the Infinity Oreus system - though I don't believe it's magnetically shielded.
Another albeit cheaper system I'm considering is the Mordaunt Short Premiers or the Premier plus speaker packs. IMO, the Premier pack's sub is a bit weak (after hearing the KEF sub), which would possibly lead me to be interested in the 'plus' pack if I were interested in going down that road.
Other than these options, I don't know what to say. The Monitor Audio option is very strong in many people's opinion, if you have room. (Which I struggle with. :( )
Hope this helps. I'd be interested in anyone else's comments on these suggestions as well.
Cheers,
Jim

try the blueroom minipods and cinepod, but not the sub

There seems to be a few people in the same situation looking for a decent speaker package for their money, and i'm interested to know exactly what you guys decide on!

Had'nt seen the B&W VM1 Speaker System before, they do look good (the wife might approve!). Bit pricey thou what the best price you've seen? any other views on them?

I've ruled out the JM Lab sib/cub package cos their just to ugly.

I'm gonna go check out the Monitor audio and Acoustic Energy options now..

The Kef Eggs KHT 2005.2 was my first choice, but after hearing that people feel the centre channel is a bit weak. I would like to consider some alternatives for my £800..

Thanks.

I've not heard them or seen any reviews but you could check out Castle's new Compact sub/sat combo. castle speakers website

They look beautiful, come in a range of different finishes and are a tad bigger than the eggs. They are a little bit more than your budget (about £1000 I think). Sevenoaks in Manchester had some in, so their other branches should have as well.

Chris

B&W don't like people saving money over the net but i got my 6 vm1's plus 1 set of stands at 10 of normal price at practical hifi, you also get 3 years warranty as standard with them, (Practical Hifi)which i did'nt know when i bought them.Love the look but i'm still stewing over which sub to use with them. Rel, MjMJ ,Rel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom