KEF E305 5.1 speaker package Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Ed Selley, 29th June 2013. The E305 still mimics many of the attributes of a hot hatch and like the evergreen Golf, it is still the design that everyone else should be looking to beat. It might cost a little bit more but it really is worth it.
Read the full review...

very good review....many people were waiting for it...since early may !!!

We debated over KEF e305 vs MASS but now it seems there is a clear winner;

question regarding movies only and taking into account only the satellites what package is better ? it seems like it is a tie...

also the KEF 305 sounds "warm" and the MASS...according to review is not "that bright" ? its that right ?

Last edited:
Looking forward to trying these out on the weekend, for me the mass are not an option as they are pig ugly and would stand out like a sore thumb in my living room, plus I've owned the first keg eggs and was more than happy with the sound they produced , given that these are a significant improvement I'm on to a winner.
Will probably end up changing that sub though;)

you could just wait a few days to buy the KEF E305 5.0 version with no sub!!!

some store have already the product on preorder....

on a side note i never understood people that but a/v gear on how they look...but then again who understands human behavior....

you could just wait a few days to buy the KEF E305 5.0 version with no sub!!!

some store have already the product on preorder....

on a side note i never understood people that but a/v gear on how they look...but then again who understands human behavior....

That's all very well if you have a dedicated room but in the families living room you want kit that blends in without looking ugly, that's the whole point of these lifestyle systems.
You can buy speaker's that easily out perform these for the same price if looks don't concern you.

Hi,

Says the guy who definitively decides which speakers are better than others based solely on reading reviews & not hearing them for themselves - you are right - who understands human behaviour - yours included!!

Suave!

I'm wondering how well the E305 compares to Cambridge Audio Minx 21? The E305 has a lower cross over frequency compared to the Minx which is a good thing - less location.

What I understand is that the Minx has a wide sweet spot compared to ordinary speakers which tends to focus at one spot. I've had a chance to hear the older Minx 20 and wasn't that impressed. Someone mentioned that the newer Minx 21 is better?

I'm thinking of a sat - sub system for the apartment.
Steve

I'm wondering how well the E305 compares to Cambridge Audio Minx 21? The E305 has a lower cross over frequency compared to the Minx which is a good thing - less location.

What I understand is that the Minx has a wide sweet spot compared to ordinary speakers which tends to focus at one spot. I've had a chance to hear the older Minx 20 and wasn't that impressed. Someone mentioned that the newer Minx 21 is better?

I'm thinking of a sat - sub system for the apartment.
Steve

I can't comment on the Minx or the E305, but what I can say as a Kef 2005.2 owner is that the Kef Uni-Q drivers (the latest version of which is used by the E305) offers very wide dispersion i.e. a very wide sweet spot, much more so than convention driver arrangements.

To be honest, the lower crossover frequency of one satellite speaker compared to another doesn't mean anything; the ability to 'locate' lower frequencies all depends on the quality of the subwoofer and in practise you may prefer using a higher crossover anyway. For example, I use a 120Hz crossover with my Kef 2001.2 sats (the speakers themselves are rated down to 80Hz), but since I use a good quality subwoofer (KK DXD-808), it is not possible to locate the lower frequencies produced by the sub.

Edit: To echo some other posts, I've never been impressed by the sub in any of the Kef egg packages, with the exception of the E305 as I've not heard it. If you like the E305 package then personally, I would save up for a sub upgrade, or just buy a 5.0 package plus a different sub if funds permit.

Last edited:
I think there is the desire to review a Minx pack of some description but it won't me that does it as I still have a close relationship with Cambridge Audio that might be seen to affect my impartiality.

From the packs that I have reviewed, this is probably the best all rounder. I really like the Cabasse but it isn't as well made, nice to look at or as easy to get up and running as the KEF. The sub isn't the most ballistic thing going but it isn't bad and quite a convenient size.

Hi All,

Thanks for a great review! I am not surprised these new KEF's sound good due to KEF's strong tradition of making good sub/sat combinations but as I suspected, it seems the sub is the weak element. I have not heard them & hope to do so soon - congrats to KEF for what appears to be another successful product!

After owning a number of sub/sat systems, I currently have the Cambridge Audio Minx Min21/20 system & have to say, for it size, it really is an amazing system & one of the very best I have heard in it's price range - the BMR Driver is very special. Only issue is that they do need a high crossover & a large amount of breaking in before they start to shine.

I too would like to have a Minx Min21 & X500 review for comparison purposes - how about a sub/sat shoot out review of a number of systems like in the old days?

Suave!

...how about a sub/sat shoot out review of a number of systems like in the old days?

A shoot out between the Min21, e305, MASS and M1 would be awesome as well as useful for those like me who are wondering which one to get.

Steve

Looking at the price of these individually, you could get five speakers and a bk xls 200 for £940 which for only 40 quid more sounds like a really good option.

Would anyone be able to advise the per unit price of an e305? I'm thinking of just getting the satellites.

Steve

seems you did not bother googling....i found them many weeks ago on preorder for 250£...

I wonder how these compare to the Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.0 which can be coupled with their Seismic 110 sub. I know the sub will be better but what about the performance of the sats ?

Anyone had a chance to listen to both and compare ?

Given that the milleniaone is more than double the price you would expect it to be a lot better.
For the price though I think the e305 are excellent and I can't wait to buy a set.

Thanks Gingerone, would be nice to hear from someone who has had a listen to both systems or an owner of the MilleniaOnes who has recently heard the new KEF Eggs.

You may not find anyone other than reviewer's who have heard both, they are in totally different price brackets so people will tend to demo packages in a similar price bracket I would have thought.
I've demoed the e305 and thought they were excellent, are you looking to buy one or the other?

It's the sub I am most concerned with, the option of an XLS200 or XXLS400 has to be the best bet, but the review highlights the handoff between satellites and sub, and it's something I wouldnt want to compromise by introducing a different sub.

Saying that, having owned a BK sub before they are serious quality, so hopefully any seamless integration of sound between satellite and sub would be as good with a BK unit.

It's the sub I am most concerned with, the option of an XLS200 or XXLS400 has to be the best bet, but the review highlights the handoff between satellites and sub, and it's something I wouldnt want to compromise by introducing a different sub.

Saying that, having owned a BK sub before they are serious quality, so hopefully any seamless integration of sound between satellite and sub would be as good with a BK unit.

I was thinking the same but as mine are going to be in the living room the more low key sub will probably be a lot more wife friendly, it certainly seemed to have enough kick for my little room when I had a demo.

I am planning to get the KEF E-305 with RX-A1020. I am quite a newbie and wants some expert comments. I have a 5m*3.5m room. I am in an apartment so cant have/dont need loud sound but looking for clarity. Main use is movies (netflix and blueray/dvd) and playing music via airplay/dlna.
Please advice if this combo is good enough.:lease:

the kef 305 is one of the best small packages around....and that yamaha is one of the best AVR...so yes it is a good combination. But since you are a noob in surround...why buy such an expensive AVR ??? do you really need all those options ?? i don't think so !!! just get a 400£ AVR !

the kef 305 is one of the best small packages around....and that yamaha is one of the best AVR...so yes it is a good combination. But since you are a noob in surround...why buy such an expensive AVR ??? do you really need all those options ?? i don't think so !!! just get a 400£ AVR !
I just thought of that as i dont want to change the amp anytime soon. As of now I have my Panasonic Plasma TX-P55ST50, NAS and xbox to connect. Which 400£ model do you suggest and what will i be missing out?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom