kef cresta 1 opinions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by spark, Jun 26, 2002.

1. spark

spark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering a pair of KEF Cresta 1's as rears.
    Kenwood 5050 amp.
    Mordaunt short front and centre.

Are they any good?

If so, what's the best way to mount them?

Cheers.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,915
    Hi

The Kef´s are great speakers for the money, but ideally you would have speakers from the same manufacturer for both fronts and rears.

You can standmount the speakers or wallmount with a bracket.

3. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the feeling on using the Cresta centre in a Cresta1 5.1 setup?

5x Cresta1:
    pro - all the same
    con - positioning the Cresta1 as centre above/below TV. Awkward geometry, and BTW are they magnetically shielded? (the Kef website doesn't say). Another con, you buy them in pairs so end up with an extra one to tempt you into buying a more expensive 6.1 amp ;)

4xCresta1 + CrestaC:
    pro - centre horizontal, fit more easily above TV, slightly higher power for speech
    con - any matching issues?

What do you think?

4. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Going on a previous thread about monitor damage, Id say they're not magnetically shielded!!

Dave

5. colinloves

colinloves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No shielding on the Cresta 1's. Of course there is shielding on the Cresta centre (but I guess that goes without saying)
    --(still looking into seeing of Kef do a shielding device for their speakers)--

6. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you could get a shielding device, would you rather use that than use the shielded centre? Is a dedicated centre so much to be avoided that it's worth the hassle? Could anyone with a Cresta centre comment on how well it matches the others?

7. Ron Locke

Ron Locke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We do not offer a shielding kit for the Cresta range, if you want to use the Cresta 1,2 or 3 (not shielded) as front L/R channels, then I suggest a safe distance of at least 18" from the TV/Monitor.

Of course using the Cresta 1 as rears is no problem at all, and for the price, you will get a lot of performance.

Best Regards

8. colinloves

colinloves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ron and thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I have a very small room and have to place my front right Cresta 1 next to my PC monitor (about 2 inchs away). So I really really need some kind of shielding device for it.
    Could you tell me what is the magnet power in the cresta 1's and what size/power magnet I would need to counter the speaker magnet. Im sure with a bit of DIY I'll will get around my little problem. Hope you can help in this matter. as I really cant afford to get a whole new bunch of speakers just to solve me little problem.