KEF Ci5160RL-THX, Ci3160RL-THX, Ci200RR-THX thread

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lovingdvd, Jul 19, 2015.

1. lovingdvd

lovingdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am seriously considering the KEF Ci5160RL-THX, Ci3160RL-THX, and Ci200RR-THX speakers for an Atmos 9.1.6 or 11.1.6 setup. I'm looking to use 3x of the 5160 for the L/C/R, 6x of the 3160 for the Wide, Side, and Rear surrounds (or possibly 8x if I do separate side surrounds for each row instead of one shared between the rows). The room will be about 30' L x 17' W x 7.75' H and the MLP will be 12.5' from the LCRs (behind an AT screen) with the second row (low priority) 19.5' away.

I am interested in hearing feedback from any owners of these speakers, particularly if used in an Atmos setup. There is very little feedback, if any, on the 5160 and 3160 that I can find on AVForums or AVS Forums, or really anywhere on the net besides the KEF website. No professional reviews either. There are a few owners of the Ci200RR that have had great things to say about that, so that is encouraging.

One possible downside for some people with these speakers is that they may not be able to play at reference levels, depending on the room size and setup. These speakers are rated with a sensitivity of 90dB, however that is at 2.83V / 1M. So when comparing this to speakers that are rated at 1W / 1M that 90dB is actually lower. In my case I will have the 5160 in a baffle wall which will add some SPL and likely get me close to or right at reference for my front row. Since my 2nd row is low priority, and since I do not like to listen at reference levels anyway (usually my MV for movies is at -10dB at the most) I am able to overlook this.

I did have a chance to audition these KEFs in a dealer showroom about 2 hours away in a 7.1.4 Atmos setup. Very similar to what I want to do, except they had no Wides, they used a 3160 for the center channel and had 4 instead of 6 ceiling speakers. It really sounded quite incredible. That said, the Atmos material was quite limited - only had the run of the mill Atmos demos. I plan to return to get another listen and will bring a few Atmos movies with me. I also watched a fair amount of "Titanic" with DSU engaged which sounded great as well.

Although by far the main reason for the room is movies, I like to listen to music so that is a big consideration for me as well. I must say that in a 2.1 setup with the 5160 music sounded incredible and the AT screen they were behind did not seem to have any impact (as would be expected).

Before finding this dealer I checked out the KEF R700 in a 2.0 setup because I was told that the Ci3160 and Ci5160 use the same exact driver and Uni-Q tweeter as in the R700, with the only primary difference being the number of drivers (R700 has only two) and that the sonic signature would be nearly identical. I spent quite a while listening to music in this 2.0 setup and was very impressed.

The sound stage and imaging from the R700 was incredible. There was some other manufacturers speaker in the center of the room, which was off, but I was almost certain the music was coming out of this speaker - that's how precise the imaging was for vocals and other instruments directed to the center. A couple of times I even walked up to the speaker and put my ear up to it just to make sure it wasn't playing (it wasn't). The sound was very wide at times (when it was supposed to be, I presume) and at times it sounded like there was a full speaker array playing that went from my direct left to 180 degrees to my right. All from just those two R700 speakers. So if indeed the R700 and Ci5160/3160 have the same sonic signature and voice then indeed I think the Ci5160 and Ci3160 will be great for my tastes, being excellent for both movies and music.

Of course, nothing is better than feedback from owners that have these speakers in their own home and have lived with them for a while, so I'm hoping to hear from some of you - if there is anyone out there??? For such an amazing sounding speaker that's been out for about 2 years now it seems a bit odd that I cannot find any owners talking about these. Hope to hear from some of you - if you exist! :D

2. Manni01

Manni01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi Ric,

Can't help re these speakers, but if you go back to this Atmos setup with Atmos discs, make sure you bring Atmos soundtracks which are actually using the top speakers, like Unbroken or Gravity (the US diamond edition with native Atmos), or even Expendables 3, and not tracks with little height use like Transformers 4.

3. lovingdvd

lovingdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Manni! Great point. I hadn't even considered that some Atmos tracks may not make good use of the ceiling speakers. In fact I was planning to demo Transformers so I appreciate the heads-up. I just bought the Atmos edition of Gravity and will take that with me whenever it is I get back up there to spend some more time in the demo room.

4. tractng

tractng
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Home Forums > Home Audio Video Forums > Audio Forums > Speakers >

I started doing the same. I was thinking about going 5160 for L/R and 3160 for center building a false wall to house the speakers and hide the projector screen. Spent hours and did not find any user reviews. Please update us.

5. lovingdvd

lovingdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Its probably just fine to use the 5160 for L/R and 3160 for C. That's what they did in the room I heard the 7.1.4 setup. In my case I will use a 5160 for the C for no other reason than it being the most critical speaker in the whole setup and the more balanced it is from where the center channel sound is coming from (vertically) compared to the L/R the better. The difference is cost is something like $500 roughly so in the grand scheme of things its not a large premium to go with the 5160 for the C.

Still apparently no owners out there of these 5160/3160 speakers in an Atmos setup that have spoken up. Will be great to get some feedback before purchasing.

6. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    They're still relatively new, and won't really come to the public eye until they're reviewed and promoted. Of the small number of people that buy this type and level of speaker system, an even smaller number actually use forums...

I was informed the other day that an end user was trading in his MK Sound S150 system for a full in-wall KEF THX system.

7. lovingdvd

lovingdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks. I was just thinking earlier today how it has been several weeks since I posted this and a similar message on AVS Forum and had still not found a single person out there on either forum with this setup. While at the same time the forums are overflowing with Procella and Triad users.

Do you have any background information on this user that is switching to the full in-wall KEF THX system? For example, did he hear these speakers in a demo and if so what were the details on that. Or is he just purchasing it blind, etc.

Even though I think these speakers sound great and will likely be moving forward with them, its a big leap to do so given the cost and commitment I will be making to do so, including an full professinoally engineered acoustical plan optimized specifically for these speakers. So if it turns out these speakers are not the right choice for me after the fact, not only will I have to remove the speakers but will have to remove the fabric stretched walls and modify the treatments. That's a big deal. Sure would be nice to get some more confidence from other users, but doesn't seem like that's going to happen prior to the point of me needing to commit to these speakers if going in that direction.

8. ronyc32

ronyc32
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have been trying to find info on these speakers. Very hard. I want 3 Ci5160RL (LCR). 2 of the Ci3160RL for surrounds. As far as subs go, I read on this one site the used 5 Ci3160RLb. They said the bass was good. The subwoofers use the same 6.5 woofer as the other speakers. Not really sure how the bass would get low with a 6.5 woofer. Anyway as far as my 4 atmos I want to use Ci200RR. My set up will be a 7.2.4. Since I don't have a rear wall I was thinking of adding two more Ci3160RL on the side of the wall or using 2 of the Ci200.3QT in the ceiling they are motorized 8". Other subs could be ML balance force 210.

9. Hatlesschimp

Hatlesschimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Ok, so I finally moved house and I've been torn between keeping my set Q-series speakers (Q900, Q900, Q300 & Q600c) and the newly purchased Ci5160's and Ci3160 that are still in box un openned. Well today curiosity got the better of me and I unboxed one of the Ci5160rl-THX speakers. Straight off the bat this thing gave me a double hernia! It feels heavier than one of my Q900's! Its the near on same length too! I love the finish of them. They look way better in real life! I read somewhere that they made it out of thick aluminium so the plate doesnt flex like other in wall speakers. Im not sure if Im lucky or not building a new house and now knowing how heavy and solid these speakers are. I really dont know if two sheets of 10mm plaster is going to hold these vad boys!!!!!!
    Here is a bunch of pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. xsnv

xsnv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +717
    Thanks for the pictures. Was quite keen on these but the lack of a back-box put me off a bit. Planning to build a dedicated room?

11. ronyc32

ronyc32
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for sharing those pictures. I want those speakers myself. Can't wait to hear your take on them. This thread was dead for a while. It might be back.

12. ronyc32

ronyc32
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's funny because the 1st and 2nd pictures with the x under them showing how not to lay out the speakers and subs, is exactly how I seem them laid out at some shows and online

13. Tjsmith

Tjsmith
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for posting those great photos of the KEFs - they look beautiful. I just bought three KEF Ci5160RLs for my left, right and center channels and intend to power them with an Anthem MRX 720. Having them installed in July - will post a couple of photos when they're in and will let you know how they sound.

14. zorax2

zorax2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you installed these yet? I'd love to hear how everything turned out.

15. Tjsmith

Tjsmith
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not yet. Framing is complete and having the cables run on Monday. Won't be fully installed until July/August. Will let you know how it turns out.

16. zorax2

zorax2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be putting in Ci200RR-THXs as rear top speakers by the end of July. I'm very excited to hear how they sound with ATMOS and DTS: X. I'm currently running Kef Reference 203 mains, 202c center, 201 surrounds and Q300 front heights. I absolutely love the sound of Kefs! With the Kef's great imaging, every seat feels like a main listening position. I'm hoping to build a full custom theater in the future which is why I'd love to know how the full Kef Ci THX setup sounds. I imagine it will be fabulous and beat all the other offerings out there for small to medium home theaters. I'm just looking for confirmation from someone who's actually installed them.

17. Hatlesschimp

Hatlesschimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just building a new house with dedicated room. Frame and roof have just gone on. uploadfromtaptalk1468714252045.jpeg uploadfromtaptalk1468714261218.jpeg

I have 4x Ci200rr-thx for Ceiling Atmos. I Also have 2x Ci5160rl-thx and a single 1x Ci3160rl-thx. I dont know what to do now because I can find a 3rd Ci5160rl-thx anywhere for a centre only Ci3160rl-thx are available. Should I just buy two more ci3160rl-thx and run thr ci5160rl-thx as front left and right with the rest ci3160? Or should I just buy some r300 or r800ds for the rest of the surrounds?

My back window is awekward. Its 600mm in height but right in the position i want me rear speakers.
    uploadfromtaptalk1468714596148.jpeg

18. ronyc32

ronyc32
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  19. zorax2

zorax2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did install my Ci200RR-THX for tops and absolutely love them. I'm not sure I'd use the dipoles for any of your speakers. Where are you placing your ceiling speakers? Top front, top middle, top rear? You may want to mark locations in the ceiling for a location that you can use in the future if the AVRs allow 6 ceiling speakers which will give even better panning effects.

If you're in the US, PM me as I've got a great dealer who should be able to get your speakers for you at a great price.

The 3160 will work fine but given everything you're doing in terms of the quality of your speakers and a dedicated room - I'd try to hold out to find a Ci5160RL-THX for your center if at all possible. I'd probably use the 3160s for your side and rear surrounds if you can get good placement options for them. If not, any of the R series speakers should do just as well.

20. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,729
    We are now authorised dealers for KEF in wall/ceiling speakers.

21. doublewing11

doublewing11
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just had to reply to this thread, therefore joined avForums...........

Seems strange I didn't sign up sooner as I have family near Tolleshunt Major.......:)

Longtime AVS member and completed my dedicated theater three years ago.......updated room by adding four KEF Ci200rr-thx speakers for Atmos. Don't know if a "newbie" can post pics but will try.

In a nutshell, these KEF Ci200rr-thx are best option IMHO for in-ceiling speakers specifically for multiple rows/seats for Atmos. I evaluated/listened/measured 30-40 candidates with these Kef's winning the battle for off axis FR/dispersion. F3 value well below 80 Hz, and flat frequency response. There's not a better in-ceiling product for Atmos.

Yes, had to build 20 liter backer boxes due to speaker being inside soundproofed shell. Nothing but Baltic Birch.......went together quite easily.

As far as sound quality and timbre match to my Triads? Absolutely splendid! Couldn't be happier! :clap:

22. amandeep18feb

amandeep18feb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello folks,
    I am considering buying 5160s and 3160s for my home theater. I was wondering if anyone in the thread has gone ahead with the purchase and installation and would like to share his view on the product?
    Also, how much money did you guys pay for them? I know they retail for $3000 in US but was curious if you guys were able to score any deals?

23. Hatlesschimp

Hatlesschimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Where are from?

24. amandeep18feb

amandeep18feb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey, I am from Washington state in the US.
    I read your post above and must tell you that you were my motivation to go and try them and seriously consider them for buying.
    I was able to demo them at one of the studios here and they are amazing. I am setting up a 2.1 system for my family room and probably go with 5160's and then for starters, setting up a 7.1 system in my home theater. I am thinking of going for either 5160s or 3160s for L,R and C and 3160s (if i choose 5160 above for L,R and C) or 4100s (If i go with 3160s for L, R and C) for surrounds.

25. Hatlesschimp

Hatlesschimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Im still yet to hear them lol, so take what I say with a pinch of sugar and salt. Ive heard all the other kef speakers make and I wanted in walls for the theater room. There is a lot to think about with these speakers. Ive had some distractions this year and havent really focused on the build and could have done somethings better. At the moment Im trying to decide if I go the ci3160 as surrounds or just use ci200rr-thx for everything other than the LCR thats all ci5160.

26. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Why not ask the retailer who did the demo for you? He took the time to demonstrate the system to you, and has invested in the product to out on demo in store, so really you should go back to them. If everyone auditioned at one retailer and bought elsewhere, that dealer ends up closing down, then no one gets to hear anything. In this age of faceless purchasing, there'll be plenty of retailers out there who will probably offer you a good price for doing no work at all just for a quick sale, but if that's how they are, how do you know what sort of service you'll receive after purchasing from them? Look after local retailers with demo facilities - once they're gone, they're gone.

27. Hatlesschimp

Hatlesschimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    No one in my state has them setup. Also most competitive price was interstate. Floorstanding and Bookshelf speakers are easy to demo to customers. Installing inwall speakers and ceiling speakers is different kettle of fish.

28. doublewing11

doublewing11
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Before using 200rr-thx for side surrounds, I would check with Kef engineering to make sure driver suspension is ok in vertical alignment rather than horizontal. After using 200rr's for more than a year, I would have absolutely no hesitation using other Kef's in same lineup

29. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,729
    There won't be any issue using the 200rr-THX mounted vertically.

30. amandeep18feb

amandeep18feb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Guys,
    How would you recommend using Ci200QL as surrounds?