Kef Ci50R or Kef Ci130ER ? Which one would be a good match with Kef T101's as surrounds

Atarioldskool

Hey all

I have decided to use Kef T101 as my surrounds in a 5.1.2 Atmos set up due to limitation of space and speaker positioning.

I am now looking for in ceiling speakers for the Atmos and I thought I would keep to Kef as my surrounds will be Kef.

I have narrowed it down to the 2 models shown in the subject header.

Out of the 2 which would you guys choose / think would be a better match with the Kef T101's

Currently my fronts are monitor audio R90 series 1 but I "may" look at swapping these for the Kef T301's

Input on deciding which ceiling speakers to go for would be much appreciated

Thanks

Gasp3621

I would pick the CI130ER without doubt, i dare say most people here would do the same cause the Ci50r are just too tiny. If the price isn´t issue by all means pick the more capable one (130ER) which is on sale at RS. The 10 owerns reviews there are very positive.

Remember to mount the T101 tweeter around seated ear height or just tad higher so you get some separation between surround and overhead speakers!

If you have more space at front you can pick anything you want, no need to stick ultra slim or very small speakers. What ever works best.

Atarioldskool

I would pick the CI130ER without doubt, i dare say most people here would do the same cause the Ci50r are just too tiny. If the price isn´t issue by all means pick the more capable one (130ER) which is on sale at RS. The 10 owerns reviews there are very positive.

Remember to mount the T101 tweeter around seated ear height or just tad higher so you get some separation between surround and overhead speakers!

If you have more space at front you can pick anything you want, no need to stick ultra slim or very small speakers. What ever works best.
Hi thanks for your reply.

You would think the Ci130ER would be superior compared to the Ci50R due to the size.

I was looking at the Ci50R because my surround speakers T101 aren't exactly like a proper bookshelf speaker so I thought the Ci130ER would possibly be too over powering compared to the rears
So I thought I would go with the Ci50R to give a more of a Ballance sound between the top Atmos speakers and the surrounds
But at the same time I don't want the ceiling speakers to sound more tinny compared to the surrounds

I would like to achieve a good overall Ballance and sound between them all

Does this makes sense ??

And thank you regarding positioning of the T101 speakers.
I was thinking to go 12-17" higher than ear level when sitting down
Does it have to be measured from the tweeter of the speaker ?
If so can I install them upside down so the tweeter is at the bottom - so the speaker could be installed a little higher due to the height ?!

Gasp3621

Hi thanks for your reply.

You would think the Ci130ER would be superior compared to the Ci50R due to the size.

I was looking at the Ci50R because my surround speakers T101 aren't exactly like a proper bookshelf speaker so I thought the Ci130ER would possibly be too over powering compared to the rears
So I thought I would go with the Ci50R to give a more of a Ballance sound between the top Atmos speakers and the surrounds
But at the same time I don't want the ceiling speakers to sound more tinny compared to the surrounds

I would like to achieve a good overall Ballance and sound between them all

Does this makes sense ??

And thank you regarding positioning of the T101 speakers.
I was thinking to go 12-17" higher than ear level when sitting down
Does it have to be measured from the tweeter of the speaker ?
If so can I install them upside down so the tweeter is at the bottom - so the speaker could be installed a little higher due to the height ?!
I wouldn´t worry about the size as the 130ER is not really large and it´s in-ceiling speaker so bit limited aswell. The recommendation is to install surrounds close to seated ear height as you don´t want both channels being too near each other, would work against others. Mount it as low as you can then, if you have higher ceiling the better! About turning it upside down some member mentioned the speaker wire comes underway the speaker so not sure how it´s going to work. Talk with dealer also. There is no reason to pick such small model as the CI50R, it´s for some bedroom/kitchen/toilet for background listening.