1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Ci 130 Qs sound tinny

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Marcus Wood, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought a pair of KEF ceiling mount Ci 130Q speakers today. Just to check they sound OK before cutting holes in my ceiling I connected them up 'loose' (i.e. as they come, out of the box) to my amplifier.

The problem is, they seem to have virtually no bass. They have roughly the same amount of bass as my Sony travel alarm, which has 1" speakers. I've heard them in a shop and they had quite decent bass there, as I remember.

Surely this can't be right? The spec quotes 75Hz-20kHz +-3dB. Possibly installing them would result in more bass (due to the ceiling void) but I can't imagine it making a huge difference.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think yo'll find they have to be mounted in an enclosed cabinet ie the ceiling recess, to respond as they should.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Also bear in mind that 75Hz aint particularly low anyway. A small sub like a REL Quake might help too.

4. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John, I guess you're right that the ceiling void will change the sound, but it just seems hard to believe that it's going to make a huge difference, especially as the celing void in this room is quite a large volume (about 6 inches deep and 13 ft x 15ft).

I would have thought 75Hz is reasonably low - not really deep bass, but bass all the same. At the moment there just doesn't seem to be anything resembling bass at all. You even notice the lack of bass in dialogue with male voices.

I thought about getting a (REL) sub, but I live in a flat with plasterboard party walls and no soundproofing, and I'm worried that it might annoy my neighbours. Also my main speakers (Proac Studio 125s) go pretty low anyway, and I'd rather avoid using bass management, so I'm not sure a sub would be the answer.

As I said, when I listened to the Kefs in a shop, the bass sounded fine.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I have Kef Ci speakers all round, they need to be installed to hear them properly.

Take the mid driver out of your Proacs and hear the bass dissapear from them ;)

They will be fine.

Would still get a sub though :)

6. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with no box the back wave of the driver is out of phase with the front wave - this cancels the sound, causing no bass. When you mount the speaker in the ceiling there is no chance of the waves cancelling each other out - bass how it should be.

To get an idea of how they'll sound try listening side on. seriously....

Rob

7. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes - I didn't think about the cancelling effect. Just taking the cardboard protection off the sides gives more bass - they sound a lot better now, so hopefully they'll be OK.

I have a couple of queries about installing them though:

I got what seem to be OEM versions which come in a plain brown box without instructions - anyone know where I can download instructions?

Does it matter how far from the corner or wall they're mounted (they'll be in the ceiling)?

8. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ben - thanks for that. Is there anything more detailed though?

I think I've worked out how to fit them, but I can't see any way to remove the grille once the speaker has been installed. Presumably you would have to remove the grille to remove the speaker.

The grilles need a fair bit of force to push them out from the back, and when they're installed, I can't see how there would be any way to apply that force without damaging them.