Bargain Kef Centre Speakers available at really cheap price (Q200 @ £130 and Q600 @ £160)

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by jimster99, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I have just bought a KEF Q600 centre speaker and wanted to share it with the forum because it seems like a fantastic bargain and in case anyone knows of a better option I've missed. The Q600 is discounted to only £160 (with free delivery). The smaller KEF Q200 is also available at the even cheaper price of £130. This is a huge saving on the normal prices and it is because these speaker models have been discontinued. I assume there is only a very limited supply as these same speakers are sold out at all other UK retailers that I checked and only limited colour options remain. Black is already gone (so I got walnut).

The Q600 will perfectly match my existing KEF Q700's - although not sure how exactly I'm going to fit the 600 in to my set up as it's pretty huge and too tall to fit in the appropriate slot! I may have to look into a stand. I had actually decided not to get a centre speaker because I believe that stereo speakers properly positioned sound just as good or better, but as this is so incredibly cheap I thought it'd be fun to experiment to find out whether my theory holds up in practice.

Here are the links:

KEF Q600 KEF Q600C Centre Speaker
    KEF Q200 KEF Q200C Centre Speaker

PS just to confirm that I have no connection with Peter Tyson apart from having ordered a Monitor Audio home theatre speaker set from them previously in 2012 (which I stupidly never got round to setting up and is currently sitting in a crate in a storage depot waiting to be shipped to my new home...).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    As an update, DPD delivered the speakers to the wrong address and the lady who accepted the delivery then rolled the speaker box down the hall when i sent someone to pick it up (i.e. lift it up by the long end, drop it over onto the other side, and repeat until you've rolled it down the hall).

She presumably did this on receipt, too.

I can't check the speaker for another 6 weeks. Any idea if this is likely to have caused damage? I've had speakers broken in the box previously, so it'd be very annoying to happen again...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. meagabyte

meagabyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    That could not have done the speaker any good at all. Not at 14Kgs either. I would have been mortified and start a claim sooner rather than later. As in before the box Is opened as its not your fault they delivered to the wrong house.
    160 for the Q600 is a cracking price, I assume clearing stock due to the new Q650 coming in.

4. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I rang Peter Tyson and let them know. They are fine with waiting until i can open the box (which won't be until the end of Feb). And I agree, high chance of damage! But the box is supposed to be designed to handle a certain amount of abuse, so Hopefully it will be OK.

5. rlench

rlench
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Keep checking the Peter Tyson eBay page as they regularly get Kef q500/700 availability. I got a pair of q700 a few days ago and they sold out immediately. It looks like they only get about 10 pairs at a time and they’ll go within a few hours.

6. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Apparently they've now sold out and won't be getting any more stock, so fingers crossed that the speakers are OK. I'll be able to check in the next few days.

If there is damage, I may consider reclaiming the cost of buying the Kef Q650 (as the closest acceptable match) from my credit card company or the delivery company, as I have Kef Q700's as my front stereo speakers and really wanted to get the matching center speaker to go with them. I'd be very disappointed to have to choose something else...

Sigh.

7. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    So, I now have the Kef 600 in hand but have not tested it yet. The cardboard box has a few dents on it but doesn't look too bad - but it's what's inside that matters.

Is there any reliable way to test that the speaker is working properly, other than listening to it and looking for physical damage? For example, is there a test tone that I can measure with an SPL meter that would show if it is not performing to standard, or any clever tricks?

It's a single centre speaker and can be bi-amped, so one neat idea I had was to bi-amp it to the left & right outputs of a stereo amp and then switch the output between the left and right channels - which should allow me to check the bass and mid/high range drivers separately and spot any issues more easily.

But I can't think of any way of making the mid and high range drivers play a tone separately - maybe playing a test tone at the middle of the stated mid-range driver frequency and then another at the middle of the stated tweeter frequency?

This might sound a bit OTT, but I'm taking the speaker on an 11 hour flight so would like the peace of mind that it's OK as far as possible, before going to all that effort.

8. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I would do what you are suggesting - play low and and frequency test tones to test the cross over and drivers are working OK.

I would be more concerned about the 11 hour flight if you are checking the speaker in as luggage. Having seen the way airline luggage is handled, that is a much bigger risk to damage than any handling by your neighbour.

If you trying claiming back from your credit card or delivery company, don't expect anything more than the cost of the speaker unless you have some form of new for old insurance associated with your credit card.

9. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I've taken quite a few speakers on flights as carry on and checked baggage and they've not been damaged yet, but I guess it could happen.

As for claiming from the credit card company or courier company, I don't believe any of the statutory defences that apply to say the post office cover private courier companies so a claim for replacement costs under a contract / tort claim may be available. I'm not an expert on litigation - but I am a lawyer so am not (completely) making it up :)

10. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    So I've opened the speakers up and they seem to work which is great - BUT - the foam packing was broken (!) in one place and there is very slight damage to the speaker itself. It looks like the front fascia of the speaker has shifted maybe 2mm to the right and is not fully aligned with the main body of the speaker, presumably from being chucked on the ground too hard. The rubber surrounds around the speaker cones also seem to be similarly very slightly misaligned (although it's hard to judge).

This is quite annoying. Given that the speaker still seems to be working, will this slight misalignment be likely to cause any problems going forwards or subtly affect sound quality? I have run test tones and the woofer, mid-range and tweeter seem to play tones. I couldn't hear any scratching and the mid-range and tweeter cones move in and out smoothly when pushed gently by hand. The sound quality was maybe not not quite as clear as I was expecting but this could easily just be a placebo effect given that I spotted the damage.

I've attached pictures but the damage is very subtle and hard to capture:

Front left of speaker (the front panel is fractionally misaligned with the main body of the speaker - almost impossible to see in the photo):

IMG_6446.JPG

Front right of speaker (note that unlike the photo above, the front panel protrudes around 1 or 2mm, also with a very minor scratch to the body):

IMG_6447.JPG

Right speaker cone - the rubber surround appears to be very slightly misaligned, although this is difficult to judge:

IMG_6448.JPG

Here is the box - notice the broken foam! My heart sank when I saw this.

IMG_6449.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  11. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I'm wondering if I should open the speaker up to take a look inside. It seems to use a weird torx screw so not sure how I would open it (or if I'd be likely to break something).

12. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    And one final question - annoyingly the speaker is soooo deep it won't fit on my centre speaker shelf (I checked height and width but not depth...d'oh!)

Not a major problem as I can just put it on a stand on the floor. Any suggestions for a good stand source?

Thanks!!!!