1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Centre 200..OTT upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by giantteabag, Nov 20, 2004.

1. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I currently have KEF Q55.2's, Q95c, Q15's (rear) & REL Strata III.
    Amp is Yamaha 750se.

Thinking of upgrading centre speaker...is the 200 overkill?
    Wan't to buy new so a 100c is not an option.
    Timbre match of 200 should be ok as it uses 4th gen soft dome tweeters like in my existing set up...or am I wrong?

Advice please?
    Thanks.

2. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi -

Is it the 200c you're referring too?. Actually I don't think that model is still in production either, so it would be a second hand purchase.

I've also heard that recent KEF designs have a much brighter more forward balance, so I'm not sure either the 100c or 200c would be a perfect match for your other speakers. Having said that I recently bought a used Model 100c to go with my very bright sounding Mission 753's and it fits in nicely. Its also a great sounding unit - clear and punchy without sounding forceful or fatiguing. The best centre I've owned and throughly recommended. I hear the 200c is more of the same, so it should sound fantastic!.

3. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, if it's the 200 then it should fit in fairly well. Also, if you could find a second hand 100, they are also very good. www.unilet.net did have some brand new 200's in stock. KEF recently made a batch of the 200's so you should still be able to find the odd one....

If however your referring to the 202c (which is in wood finish) then as good as the speaker is, I wouldn't pair it with your current setup. It will be way too bright for the fronts. The 202c is something really only to be paired with the reference series speakers. By all means try it though as you may like it but I don't think it will fit in too well...

I tried a 202c with my fronts (RDM2's) and as much as I loved it, it really showed up the RDM's. I can't fit the 200 on the stand either so I have to stick with 100! :(

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  5. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool - I didn't realise the 200c was still available new. In that case, I would say just buy one :thumbsup: !!.

6. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. If the money is not a problem I would say buy it without hesitation. When I got mine, it made such a dramatic effect, it was like I had upgraded all the speakers! So impressed was a friend with its performance, he bought one too. I can honestly say this was one of the best upgrades I ever made. Its a stunner.

regards FRANC

7. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I concur with everything that has been said here, if you buy the 200,it`s wide dispersion characteristics will transform your whole sound. It is one of those types of speakers that makes you think that it could run the whole front sounstage by its`self! Also, it has a lovely punchy,rich dynamic balance that is very easy on the ear. Meanwhile,the 202c sounds fresher,more open & lively & really needs to be partnered with top notch electronics to hear it at it`s best.In particular,vocals are just stunning through the 202c but like i said,you better be prepared to fork out for the amps to go with `em.
    My feeling is that with the rest of your system(if you can afford it) is to go with the 200c, you will never look back.

Dan :)

8. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what exactly is the deal with KEF still producing batches of this speaker?. Was I right in my first post - the 200c is now officially out of production?. I'm begining to wonder why they started manufacturing a completely new model, what with all the glowing testimonials this unit is getting!. Its begining to sound like it just can't be beat....

What about other KEF speakers - ie stereo main pairs?. Does the company occasionally knock off a few of these aswell?.

Sorry if this sounds like I've hijacked the thread.....

9. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think it was just a one off Chrisp1.... They had an order in and so produced a batch of them for cost reasons I guess. Good news for us though!

10. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - the low cost has made me wonder about flogging my 100c and one or two other bits so I can purchase a 200c of my own. I've already spent quite a bit just recently though.....hmmmm!.

11. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have seen the 200 go for as little as £250 on e-bay which is ridiculously cheap, so keep watching. If any one else is considering the 200c/202c, dont forget the 202c contains a hypertweeter for multi-channel hi-res playback. This could be a usefull feature for the forthcoming Dolby Digital/Dts high res codecs.

Dan :)

12. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danny,
    My amp is the Yammy 750se...100W per channel.
    A retailer said it is too small to handle the 200c...is this correct?
    Also you mentioned new DD hi res codecs...are these for films (via blu ray etc) & hi def tv ?
    Cheers.

13. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60

I Used to run the 200c on the end of a Kenwood Thx integrated (110w) & it sounded great,so i dont see why you should have any problems. The guy i sold the 200 to partnered it with a Yammy 3090 & it sounded superb,so my advice would be go ahead with it,if you want one. I dont think this is a difficult speaker to drive . with regards to the new DD/Dts codecs,yes they will be incorporated into films,giving you Dvd Audio quality sound on movies.

Regards Dan

14. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dan,
    Dolby Digital Plus, could therefore persuade me to wait untill its available & then upgrade my whole system to the next KEF range with hyper tweeters, (can't remember its name).
    What do folks think about this & how long before the standard is rolled out?
    Thanks.

15. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do remember that the 200C is a 4ohm speaker which is far from efficient. With flutuations in soundtrack dynamics the demands on the amp will increase.

regards FRANC

16. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yes Franc,i forgot it was 4ohm. For some reason i thought it was 8ohm like the 202c.One possible way to alleviate the strain on a low powered amp would be to set the centre channel configuration to "small" on your processor,oh & dont crank it too hard!! :D

Dan

17. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My thoughts exactly, Daniel.

As we all know, its the bass drivers that are the greedy buggers. :devil:

regards FRANC

18. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding impedence ratings generally - how much difference does this actually make?. I'm currently using an HK AVR 630 which is only rated at 75w per channel, but I'm told its a high current (?) design. Would going from 6ohm to 4ohm speakers make a huge difference?.

19. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If my amp can't handle the 200c, could it cope with the 6 ohm KEF 100c?
    What would be a good price for a s/h good quality one?
    Thanks.

20. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My receiver sounds great with the 100c. As I mentioned earlier, its only rated at 75 wpc, but it goes plenty loud and dialogue comes through very loud and clear with no harshness to the sound.

My 100c was an ebay purchase for £130.00. I've seen several others go for about the same price recently. In fact there's one on ebay right now that looks immaculate - complete with original box and instructions. Good luck if you bid!.

21. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm probably going for the 200c...all your comments give me confidence its the right move. furthermore Yamaha says my amp will handle it no problem.
    Those of you with one...does watching TV progs sound better as well as in 5.1? My Q95 sounds a bit fuzzy at times on high end when watching some progs. Is this a fried tweeter or the prog. If the latter will the 200c be the same?

Finally I notice the 200c tweeter is a 1" not 3/4" as in the Q Series, even though they are both 4th gen. Does this influence the high end performance?

Sorry about all the Q's but I could buy tomorrow!
    Cheers.

22. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Switching over to the 200 will improve your listening pleasure in every dept. Because of it`s smooth /rich delivery it is especially good at making poor sources more listenable. Buy with confidence,as i said before, i have run the 200 with amps more or less on a par with yours & always had great results. Unless you are going to run it in an extremely large room at ridiculous levels,your Yammy should give you no problem. Also,what cables are you using as it sounds stupendous with AudioQuest Midnight+ (£15/m)

Dan :smashin:

23. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using QED Silver Aniversary.
    Thanks for the help.

24. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danny,
    Have just ordered a new 200c for £499!
    Have not yet told the wife...might try to sneak it in & claim the 95c was always that long!
    Bye.

25. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Ha Ha ,dont think you can fool a woman with regards to length!! : ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Let us know how you like it

Dan

26. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my new 200c for 2 days now & all I can say is WOW!!

It blends perfectly with my Q55.2's & adds a solid feel to the front sound stage.
    Been watching mainly TV & sky movies in 5.1 & have noticed that tv dialouge siblance is handled much better by the 1" tweeter compared with the 3/4" one in the old Q95c.
    No problem aesthetic wise...sits on my Soundstyle av table..very neat. As it's the same shape & colour there was no 'she who must be obeyed' issue...not even size mattered!

The only problem I have found is me searching on ebay for mint Ref 3 or 4.2 front pairs!! My Q55's would then become the rear pair. However I recon wife hassle will kill that idea for some time to come!

To conclude, all your advice was correct. The 200c is a purchase well worth the £499 paid.
    Cheers.

27. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Glad you liked it :thumbsup: If you ever do manage to get round the missus & go for Model 4`s (i think you should do really ;) ) bear in mind that the Model 4 is EXACTLY (sonically) the same as the 4.2.But not so with the Model 3 & Model 3.2 (in the 3.2,Kef toned down the bass)

Happy listening,Dan