1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef Centre 100 or 200?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mikeaitch, Apr 26, 2001.

1. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi Guys
    Has anybody heard the Kef reference 100 centre vs the 200c?

I'm trying to upgrade my front 3, currently 55's 95c, L/R will probably be ref 1,2s but the centre will be upgraded 1st as I think it's the most important. Ive been offered a 200c at a very nice price,but will it give me anything more than more bass? your opinions would be much appreciated!

2. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recomend you go with the centre 200 as it will better match your reference fronts, expecially if you plan on running the fronts full bandwidth as the centre 100 as excellent as it is (i own one) doesnt have the bass response to match those fronts. also the impedence is the same as the reference series, 4ohm's.
    I also recomend you give a listen to the thx centre (i own one of these too) its the best centre channell i've ever heard, it matches the reference series nicely and its probably cheaper too. also its a 4ohm'er as well, bear in mind though, that it has a limeted bandwidth due to its THX design. dont let this put you off an audition as it really is excellent.
    as always though the only correct answer to your question is listen to them and make up your own mind
    good luck.

3. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks Titan,I guess I'll have to find a dealer who can arrange this, although it won't be easy near where I live(Stoke)Am I right in inferring that the only real difference between the 100 and 200 IS the bass? and if so could the sub (rel strata iii) make up for this? Sorry for repeating the question but if I can't find a dealer with all three centres in stock, I guess I'll have to rely on guys like you to help me decide. If the 200 really is that good I'll have to bite the bullet and risk the wrath of the wife.....it's pretty big!

:rolleyes: null

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am a very happy 200 owner. I have not heard them next to each other since the original demo over 3 years ago. The 200 was significantly better and not just in the bass, BUT everywhere. The 100 and 200 are some of the best centres avaialable (along with the excellent Paradigm 350 but Richer Sounds). There only problem is that they were ahead of their times and have therefore been around for at least 6 years and therefore don't get reviewed anymore but they are fully competitive and still at the top of the pile. Buy the 200 if you can afford it, a sub will always help a system but not for the centre bass issues. I actually have my 200 set as small in my processor, despite it better bass capabilities, because it sounds BETTER.

Hope this helps.

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Kef 100, along with the REL Strata and Kef Ref 4's. When I auditioned the 200 I didn't feel the difference warranted the upgrade. Yes, the 200 has more bass extension, but in my opinion still requires a sub, but that's just me, I don't consider that the Ref 4's bass extension is good enough and supplement those with a sub as well (home made sub based around Kef TDM45 sub amp).

If I were in your position, and wanted to buy a manufactured option I would go for the 100 (second-hand if possible) and buy a replacement Uni-Q driver for it from Kef (the one used in the Ref 4, NT25 SP1353) and partner it with a good sub. As I own a Rel Strata I would not recommend that as a partnering sub. Yes, it's a very good sub for the money, but to Quote Adire Audio (the manufacturer of the Shiva subwoofer driver, considered to be one of the finest available), 'there's no replacement for displacement'. Go for something with a bigger driver (say 15") and if possible in a bigger box, all things being equal the bigger the box the deeper the bass.

The reason you want to replace the Uni-Q tweeter in the 100 is that the Ref 4 tweeter is an order of magnitude superior to the standard tweeter, IMO it puts Kef up there with the best (Seas, Scanspeak, Morel) and only costs £18! (Actually, it's well worth checking with Kef which tweeter is fitted to the 100, my 100 is quite old, the newer models may already be fitted with the better tweeter).

Now, if you want to be adventurous, you may want to consider building you own centre speaker. About a month ago I visited Wilmslow Audio and listened to a wide range of driver combinations from the worlds best driver manufacturers. The combination I liked most (in other words the sound closest to the Ref 4, which is considered to be one of the best speakers available for under £5k) was the Scan Speak tweeter D2905-9500 combined with the ATC SM75.150/150S midrange. This would be coupled with an Adire Audio Tempest 15" bass unit to round off the package. However, being an owner of Kef Uni-Q technology for the past 3 or 4 years it came as quite a shock to me that the 'sweet spot' for standard speakers was so narrow (left, right, or up and down by more than about 12"). So, for me, the decision is made, I've ordered 3 Uni-Q drivers (Ref 4 quality) and 3 Tempest 15" bass drivers and am going to build matching L/C/R speakers that will give me the sound of the Ref 4's with the bass extension of the sub all in a single cabinet eliminating the need for a separate sub. You may want to have a go yourself, Wilmslow Audio have a wide range of fine sounding loudspeaker kits along with several other companies.

6. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks guys
    I guess its now a question of how far I want to take this quest for aural nirvana. My diy skills are somewhat unimpressive, although changing drivers is a distinct possibility. The tv in question is the (notorious)Toshiba 40WH8OB, or at least it will be when it arrives next week- will the 200/100 sit on top of the set, or am I better buying the 100 and putting it in the optional cabinet, leaving the glass off obviously,& changing the driver if necessary? The cost of the cabinet would pay for the difference in price between the two!

7. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find that the centre 200 has better mid bass response than the 100 and better top end as well, this tends to happen with 3 way units over two way as the driver doesnt have to pruduce such a wide frequency range. changing the driver on the centre 100 is a uique idea but this could extend to the centre 200 as well (though it would be my bet that this already has the same uni q driver as the newer reference 4's) also dont discount the potential difference the differing loads on the amplifier can make to the sound, setting levels can be a little difficult if the impedences are different (depends on the setup capability of the amp, though i'm sure you have great equiptment to go with those reference speakers.)
    the speaker is large but i think it will fit on the top of your television though (couldnt say if the centre 200 will fit inside the cabinet or not you should check the measurements)i always like to have the tweeters at ear level rather than pointing up or down, though this may not be possible in you case.
    it might pay too see if you can get some frequency response graphs for the reference fours and the two centre channels and check how they match up. a similar response above 80hz is desirable if you are going to incorperate a subwoofer but a matching response below this if you are not. theres nothing worse than having bass drop out as something moves accross the screen.
    well whatever you do just make sure your happy with the sound and audition the centres with the reference speakers of choice or at home and dont rush into anything.

[ 01-05-2001: Message edited by: titan ]

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I also have the 200c and Im very happy with it. It does lack in base a little so I also have my amp set to small so all bass frequencies go to the model 2's and a StrataII. Overall they make an excellent sound system,well worth the money.
    You wont be disappointed with the 200c but you might with the 100. I personally wouldn't take the risk, buy the best you can afford to avoid another upgrade later on.
    Even if you buy the 100, youll always have the 200c in the back of your mind.

Heres my Home Cinema www.KevsDomain.co.uk

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    This is exactly the thread I'm looking for.
    I've been searching for the Model 100 (hence other posts) and am looking at it as an upgrade from my 80c.
    I'm not going to the 200 standard, as the 100 is more than enough.
    I just want to know what you bought in the end Morpheus and did you make the right choice? :)
    I'll be partnering my centre with Q15's so, going 'better' than the 100 is not on at the moment. :(
    The alternative is the Q95, but I believe the 100 would be the best option.

And if you bought the 100 Morpheus, how much did you pay and where from?