Kef 9000ACe

Ricky22buk

Standard Member
Just after xmas I'm going to invest in the full system I've been reseraching over this last year but on a final note would like anyones opinion on the following :

Getting quoted about £3000 for five KEF 9000ACE speakers and one HTB2 sub. Ideally all speakers to be mounted on the wall and driven by a Denon AVC - A11XVA. So my question is, would you buy this setup, or can you buy better for the same money ? I like the modern look of these buy the way and this 'look' suits our home !!!! Floor standers are an option as long as the rears can be mount on high stands as they have to suit our sofa configuaration !!!

Cheers !

Helicon

Banned
All speakers to be mounted on the wall and driven by a Denon AVC - A11XVA. So my question is, would you buy this setup, or can you buy better for the same money ? I like the modern look of these buy the way and this 'look' suits our home !!!! No floor standers as they dont suit our sofa configuaration !!!

The HTB2, as good as it is for £500, isn't good enough for the 9000's. You'll need to be looking nearer the £1k mark for a sub for them. The HTB2 is really suited for their cheaper packages.

You will get better for home cinema, and you'll get better for music, but if the 9000's really suit your room, you like them, and you like the way they sound, go for them. But put a little work into finding the right sub. If you want to stick with Kef, they have some new subs on the way soon.

gonesuper

Novice Member
I'm in the same boat as you. Got the denon avc-a1xva and looking for a wall mounted speaker package. Been told that the PMC wafers blow the kef 9000s away.

For 3 grand you should have enought to buy them and squeeze in the svs sb12+ sub its £450 for forums members and gets nothing but good reviews

See crustyloafers posts for info on the wafers

Ricky22buk

Standard Member
Anyone have any experience or could comment on these speakers below ????? Browsing the net to find the right speakers for myself and as soon as I find something new I'm adding them to this post for your comments !

http://www.thebaj.com/npf/linn_2005_07.htm

http://www.mission.co.uk/model.php?model_id=3&range_id=1&type_id=1&sector_id=1

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/default.../stoneaudio/products/details.asp?product=1672

From what I'm reading floor standers are the way to go for the best in sound. So basically I'm asking what is the best slimline speakers I can buy for between 3 & 4 grand that have that 'modern black look' ? The front will be floor standers and the rear either on the wall or mount high on stands !!!!!

Thx !!!!

Helicon

Banned
It's been a long time since Linn produced anything stunning.

The Missions are ok, but a little behind the competition now.

Just don't cut it. £1800/1900 for a pair of floorstanders? Go for more conventional looks and you'll get something 20 times better for the money. Also getting long in the tooth like the Missions.

From what I'm reading floor standers are the way to go for the best in sound.
Whether a speaker is floorstanding or standmount doesn't mean it's better than the other. A well designed standmount has the opportunity to sound more 3-dimensional and vivid than an equivalent priced floorstander, but throw enough money at the floorstander and you can achieve the same result with extra weight. With a sub in the system you don't need floorstanders. Why do dedicated home cinema packages all comprise of satellite speakers? Because for various reasons this is the type of setup the films are mastered on. Having a Miller & Kreisel setup myself, it's weird how i have noticed how some films sound so much better than others, only to find out in the credits that M&K were used in the mixing/mastering.

So basically I'm asking what is the best slimline speakers I can buy for between 3 & 4 grand that have that 'modern black look' ? The front will be floor standers and the rear either on the wall or mount high on stands
Is this for music AND films? Or just movies?

Ricky22buk

Standard Member
Mostly movies mate but will use it for music too !!!!!

Appreciate all your replies guys !!!!

Helicon

Banned
Ok. Nothing will beat the M&K's for movies, it's what they're designed to do. If you like the more 'studio' presentation for music (balls out), then you might like them when partnered with the right amp. The only way to find out is to hear them for yourself at a good dealer. Most people are suprised how good they are and are very happy with their performance. Looks are a matter of taste, but now most are in gloss black they're much better than they used to be.

I'm not saying they will be perfect for you, you may not even like them, but they should be on your shortlist for a serious home cinema.

T

Togun

Infinity Cascade should be a good match for the KEF 9000 ACE.
I am currently doing research for the same kind of speakers, only thing I am almost settled on is SVS sub :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom