1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 9000 -V- B&W FPM 5/6

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by David Weller, Sep 29, 2004.

1. David Weller

David Weller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you had to choose between KEF 9000 (left, right and centre) or B&W FPM 5 (left and right) B&W FPM 6 (centre) which would you go for ? and why ?

Using Arcam AV8 and P7 amp.

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the KEF's.

They are a closed box design with 2 x 6.5" bass drivers and a 6.5" mid/tweeter "UniQ" driver that are found in the Q5 and XQ5 floorstanders. this ='s lots of "SLAM" from those "solid but not so little" cabinets.
    A closed box is also blessed with a 2nd order rolloff of 12db/octave, (just perfect for integration with a subwoofer). Ported on wall speakers can, and usually do sound "bloomey" IMHO.

The KEF's also use some pretty high tech engineering, That carbon stuff to increase the size of the enclosure without increasing it.

I am still saving for a full set of 9000's, My current floorstanders are taking up some much needed space in the room.

I demo'd the B&W's along side the KEF's and thought the KEF 9000's sounded cleaner with better transient response, they seemed to hit harder & stop and start quicker than the B&W's.

FWIW, They were being driven by a Pioneer VSX AX10I without any MCACC calibrations.