1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef 9000 or Mordaunt-Short THX Avant System

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by subseageorge, Aug 2, 2004.

1. subseageorge

subseageorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which do you think would be best for my denon av 3805 ????
    I know which is the best price but i was thinking of sound, I am about to order a SVS sub olso.
    Thanks
    George

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Re you more interested in H/C or music? If I remeber the MS are better with H/C than music. Im sure TOF will put me straight if i'm wrong :)

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,227
    Sticking a THX badge on anything generally makes it better for films than music.

4. subseageorge

subseageorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mostly Movies but do enjoy music when im ****** heheh.
    Any help would be great and if the M/S wasn`t bad the 1500 saved over the 9000 would be handy to upgrade cables etc.
    George

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    £4000 speakers on a £800 amp?????? :lease:

The Kef's are very pretty and sound quite good, but "HOW MUCH????"
    The cheaper MS speakers should be more than adequate for your needs. Spend the difference on media, cables, beer, holidays, birds, etc......... :smashin:

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Agreed, I don't see how the 9000's can justify their price, I have heard them, they are good, but not worth the money imho.

Get the Mordaunt Shorts for a bargain £999 from Richer Sounds, and spend the money you save on an SVS sub :D

7. subseageorge

subseageorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers lads,
    I will take your advice .I am getting the sub anyway.
    The advice on here is great and i have learned quite a bit reading old threads,
    Thanks
    George

8. harol

harol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you don't care about WAF i'd say you will get better speakers for the same price. However not any speaker I know of that can be mounted on walls will give as good sound as the 9000's. I had 4xQ1 and Q9c before and was happy with those. However when i got my 9000's I couldn't stop smiling. But at the same price as the 9000's you'll offcourse get better sound than the 9000's, but they'll also take a lot more space.

And I wouldn't worry using a £900 surround receiver with the 9000's. I'm using the Yamaha 2400 and i'm well pleased with that.

9. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey, i have a 3805 with 5 x 9000's and they sound soo sweet...i am just waiting to get the cables chased into the walls so i can have them mounted in style. :thumbsup:

The amps a cracker :devil: ...i don't care what any one else says. For 800 quid you cover all your bases (apart from thx approval), have video up converstion, multiroom and a nice remote (although takes getting used to). The 9000,s are big heavy beasts...that sing like angels :D. Great for music and outstanding for HC. I to am saving for an SVS sub to go with my little lot....its gonna take longer cos i paid more for my speakers, but well worth saving for. Best thing to do is arrange a demo, with the amp that your planning to buy and the cables your going to use!!! You will never look back...unless its to smile at the sexy beasts on your wall!!!! :laugh:

Cwoj

10. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...just my tuppence worth but I demo'ed the 9000's last weekend and although they were good, I was very disappointed - as I expected to be blown away... not heard the MS's so can't comment but I certainly wasn't even remotely tempted to part with £3k for the 9000's...

Derry