Kef 9000 ACE

C

cwoj

Hello

I have asked this once before, but they were new to the market then, so i hope that this time i will get more feedback. (i only hope tho) :D

Has anyone bought the kef 9000 ace speakers? if so do you have any opinions about how good or poor they are? Do you know how they compare to the cheaper kef 5005? Do you know where i can find any reviews on the speakers? I have had a demo, but the room was full of other people chatting in the background and it was with a high end pre amp and dvd player...

Any info would be greatly appreciated, i am after life style / wife friendly speakers or many are not an option to me, but if any one else has any recommends i would be grateful of the info!!

Also what’s sort of price would i expect tp pay for them?

Cheers
Chris

:thumbsup:

Hi cwoj,
I bought the 9000's a month ago and wired them to a Yamaha Z-9, deciced to take the
plunge on a gamble. I was also looking for a lifestyle speaker but seriously considered
other options ( I mean at 500 notes apiece )......however one month on, and i am still
absoluetly amazed at these speakers, they have by far exceeded my expectations.
As for the 5005's i'm afraid I have'nt heard them, I myself upgraded from 2005.2 eggs
and think it would be crazy to compare them to the 9000's.
Also read the www.docdvd.com review, I am sure that will be more help to you than my
opinion......Good luck Tills.

I'm also thinking about the 9000's, hoping I can get a demo at a local shop next week. Any comments on using them with a straight stereo music source?

Can anyone recommend a dealer in the SE or London area?

Darren

Well I've had mine for just over a month now and think they are stunning both in looks and performance.

I have three 9000's for the fronts and due to space, and money, two 5005's on rear duties. This is backup up by a Rel Strata 5 sub all running from my Denon 3803.

All of the speakers have been wall mounted...by myself.

Now my previous speakers were nothing to shout about but these Kefs are stunning.

Stereo sources sound like they are comming from much larger speakers and, without the Rel, have a decent amount of bass - and with the sub in the loop...well I just find myself listening to music in a whole different way as it's just so captivating.

For movies this just get better.

Anyway, go for a demo if you can.

Cheers, Lee

As for price...well they have an RRP of 500 notes each which includes the wall bracket. The small stands are about £150 with the larger stands about £200.

What you actually pay will depend on the dealer you buy from.

I bought three 9000's, two 5005's, about 35m of QED Silver Aniversary cable and the Rel Strata 5 sub for £2.2k.

Cheers, Lee

loonatic,

Did you have any problems wall mounting them?? They seem ver heavy and i onlf have plaster board walls with timber joists..

also where the cheapest place to buy them?

Wall mounting is not difficult...just a bit of a pain.

Basically the wall brackets are in two pieces. You fix one part to the wall and then attach the other to the speaker. Then you have to slide the speaker onto the part fixed to the wall.

The nly problem I found was that the part fixed to the wall wanted to fig into the wall and would not allow the other part to slide on. To solve this I used a washer between the wall and the bracket to leave more space.

They are very heavy but mine are fixed to an internal brick wall so not a problem.

As for cheapest I don't know...I did not shop around but rather went to my local dealer whom I have dealt with before. Kef do not allow their kit to be sold on the Internet AFAIK.

You could try KrishAV (www.krishav.co.uk). They might be able to sort you out and cab be pretty cheap.

Cheers, Lee

loonatic

Thanks for the info, i will have to try some stress testing in the wall, i juts hope it doesn't fall down as the wife won't be too happy!!

Do you have any pic's of your installation?

Hi Chris,

I am still finishing my new room and I am still waiting for carpet and still have some things to finish but the front looks like this at the moment.

kef.jpg

As you can see I still have to put the front of the skirting board back on which will hide all of the cables as well as painting the shelves in the AV unit.

Cheers, Lee

Loonatic,
I wall mounted my front 3, and when running the calibration through the yammy it
showed a fault, when checking the wire connections found that where you have to
slide the speakers down onto the mounts, it had nearly cut the cable in half, the problem
was the cable....(QED silver ann.)I think because it is quite rigid cable and was hard to
shape to connection and keep clear.
This was matched to uneven walls( not terribly, just an older house) which made
it worse..the speakers need a clean gap at the back to slide down......did you have any problems? the other four I stand mounted, not as nice to look at but a damsight easier!
I got mine from KrishAV, but spoke to John today and he said he is having problems
getting stock now.....due to kef policy, but my advise is haggle, believe it or not you can
get a discount.......good luck Tills.

Yeah I had a similar problem with one of my fronts...when I slipped the speaker onto the bracket it pulled one of the cables out.

It's not a very well designed bracket really and the QED SA cable is about as thick as you can go.

Had the same problem with the dodgy walls/wall paper hance the use of a washer as a spacer...worked a treat.

So you have seven of the buggers...now that's just being greedy :eek:

What sub do you have ? and what size room ? I think that 5005's make for good rears but 9000's must sound the dogs :censored:

Cheers, Lee

Hi Lee,
it,s :censored: greedy I know, still justifying it to myself,as well as waiting for the lashes
on my back to heal....and believe me, she hits hard, but seeing as 10 of the best it had
to be, I made sure I had two MJ acoustic Ref 1 mk2 in oak to be laid across on punishment day!........And don't think I'm joking. As for the room it's 16x14 ft.
To be honest until more films come in true 6.1/7.1 become available I might use two
kef's in another room.....but 7ch stereo keeps stopping me.

cheer's Ed.

loonatic,

Great pic thanks, i think the kef are for me, i have heard about the tight wall bracket on another review, so i guess i may end up getting some stands.

:smoke:

What sort of price should i be able to haggle / lever out of a kef dealer?

I have 5 9000s and upgraded from 4 Q1s and Q9c. I am very very pleased with that upgrade which I can thank my wife for as she wanted better looking speakers that could fit on the wall, and my criteria was they couldn't sound worse than what we had so we ended up with 9000s. I bought them even without listening to them (January) as no dealers had them (I live in Norway) at the time.

I use the yamaha 2400 with them and get a message that some of them are out of phase? is that the same problem some of you encountered? I didn't bother check the cabling as I read the yammies report phase errors sometimes even when there's not. But I guess I better check the cables are not cut then.

It was a bit of a hassle mounting them on the walls....(a few swear words were said that evening, my wife can confirm that :laugh: ). Mine are mounted on plaster walls (not sure what it's called in english, but think it's plaster) and I used expanding plugs which can take 10kg each, and 4 of those on each speaker can hold 40kg so I don't worry about that.

Last comment, after i got them, I had to watch a few movies again because the sound is now amazing compared to what I had before. They haven't failed to impress anyone who has visited me and listened to them yet.

Thats great, this was the sort of feedback i was after. You you find its worth the extra buying 5 9000's, as oppossed to 3 9000 and say 2 x 5005?

Not sure if it's worth the extra, you could buy 4 5005s instead of 2 9000s to get a 7.1 system. But if money is no problem i'd offcourse buy 9000s instead. They are in a different league. If you intend to listen to multi channel music i guess having the same speakers all around makes it a better listening experience.

I heard these at the Bristol show and thought they sounded good I woundered what they would sound like in a home set up :)

I have a Pioneer AX10i which is the amp they used to demo them.
Will have 2 have the stands for the front 2 and i think you can get a desk top stand for the center, as this would have to sit on top of the TV, :smashin: would love 2 rears also wall mounted.

What do these sound like with music, as i will be using them to listen to music sometimes but mainly for DVD,& Sky

Hi Steve,

The main reason I upgraded from my previous Sony sub/sat package was due to their poor stereo performace - they sounded fine for moives but stereo music playback was very lacking.

The 9000's sound fantastic to me when playing music...I have been spending a lot of time revisiting old CD's and being amazed at how fresh they sound.

They sound like much larger floorstanders and really fill my room with sound - okay it's only 4m x 4m but still. On their own they have a decent bass output but combined with the Strata 5 they really come alive.

Movies, especially DTS soundtracks, are really involving. If I had the space, and cash, I would have gone for 9000's are the rear but sadly no room - the 5005's do a good job though.

Harol makes a good point about multi-channel music being better with matching speakersbut I have yet to find more than a couple of SACD's or DVD-A's that I like.

Anyway, I am well pleased with mine :smashin:

Cheers, Lee

Found a deal for these speakers £2500 (9000 ACE x 5 ) plus 11m QED XT400 speaker cable plus 12 MK1 Airlock Plugs for front.
20m QED XT300 speaker cable plus 8 MK1 Airlock plugs for rears.
Dose this sound a good deal :smashin: :thumbsdow

steve k said:
Found a deal for these speakers £2500 (9000 ACE x 5 ) plus 11m QED XT400 speaker cable plus 12 MK1 Airlock Plugs for front.
20m QED XT300 speaker cable plus 8 MK1 Airlock plugs for rears.
Dose this sound a good deal :smashin: :thumbsdow

I think creative audio are doing that sort of deal, although its only an instore price. I've heard from a dealer that they buy the units in at around £400.00 ex vat :oops:

Cheers
Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom