KEF 7.1 Eggs and Denon 3802 Most popular setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garrad, Mar 1, 2002.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can tell you my Denon 3801 and Kef "Egg" 7.1 setup is very nice, but it sounds like I don't even need to say that, everyone else has the same setup :p but I don't need to say that.

I set my speakers up as Large which pumps more bass to the satalites and set the sub at 80 for cutoff. Twist phase around just past half (but it doesn't make a huge difference) an volume at full.

What do other people have as there amp settings? :confused:

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting speakers to LARGE only gives good results (sometimes) if the speakers can reproduce good bass below 80hz, KEF eggs are rated at about 80hz so the speaker setting should be set to SMALL and bass sent to sub.
    Setting them to large will not pump more bass to the eggs as they can't produce bass below 80hz.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the eggs don´t have much energy under 120 hz, so you should set all speakers to small, and the crossover to 120 hz on the receiver (bass to sub only), also the crossover to maximum, fully clockwise on the sub...

Phase on the sub, you start from zero (should be ok if the sub is close to the front speakers), until it sounds louder. Volume on the sub (probably around the middle), you play a CD with lots of bass guitar and big drums and choose the setting you like most.

Then sit back and enjoy... :D

4. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Following some posts yesterday, I did lots of experimenting with my 3802 and Kef Eggs (the power of magazine reviews...) last night and I ended up with the exact settings Lowrider states. Obviously change the phase if your sub is further away from the front sats.

5. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I tried this out and your right it is a much better setting. The speakers are supposed to go down as low as 80hz, but at louder volumes it just doesn't sound right.

Cheers for the help.

6. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    i've got the denon 3801 amp,but how do you set the amp to 120 hz?

dvd

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    DVD - I have a 3801 - Sub settings only become available if you set your speakers to LARGE - I believe the 3801 uses a sub crossover of 80 if you leave them on SMALL - I suppose you could set the speakers to LARGE just to check that out and then as it says above change them back to SMALL(?)

8. csx

csx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it has to be small. These little babies just can handle below 120 to 100HZ. I demo'ed them today and I was dissapointed with there response compared to my KEFQ range speakers. I was gonna buy them but will have to keep looking.

9. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    hi paulboy,
    sorry to be a pain,but when i set it to large i can't see the sub settings.

thanks

dvd

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd...........you won't see any settings, with the 3801 when you select speakers to small the crossover on the amp directs all frequencies from 80hz and below to the sub, when you select speakers to large (this only applies to the main fronts) in the speaker configuration another menu pops up called subwoofer mode, here you can select LFE or LFE+MAIN.