1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 6000

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pinoy, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Pinoy

Pinoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone demod KEF 6000 ? Any thoughts on this new speaker ?

2. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bump. Anyone?

3. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have. I listened to it on a morden amp (dunno what the model was though). The star wars ep1 pod race.

HOly fruitcake batman! amasing! the sound is really really nice. I demo'ed the m-cubes the week before. The 6000's blow the m-cubes out of the water. I realise that there is a bit of a price difference but there is a whole lot more speaker there. i'm probably going to get them and either the denon 3805 or the Marantz SR-8500.

One thing i am slightly worried about is that i am buying because they are sort of "lifestyle" speakers and i dont really want to blow £1650 (inc stands) for the five speaker set when i could get something a whole lot better.

its all very frustrating.

4. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought the KHT6000's this weekend with stand less the sub (i have a rel Q150e already).

I also bought a denon 3805.

The speakers havent turned up yet so when i do i'll set em up and tell you how they are.

5. Pinoy

Pinoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Frustin . . . been waiting for a long while, been planning/thinking to buy same set up as yours in two months time . . . Please update us . . .

6. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should be arriving tomorrow (damn it i thought they'd be here today) so i wont get to play until about 20:00 (when i get home from work). *grumble* Will keep you posted.

My only two concerns at this stage is are:

a) the sub isnt going to be right for them,
    b) and/or the room accustics are going to be rubbish for my speakers (i have a brick fire place that covers one side of my room).

we shall see.

7. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are here (though i wont be able to get them out until 2000 this evening). one, quite large, snag: no stands! 7oaks informed me today that although the speakers are in, Kef have a stand shortage, looks like another couple of weeks.

8. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha! Speaker stands turned up today at 7oaks! I'll put them together tomorrow (i want to wire it all in properly).

9. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent about 4-5 hours checking lengths of QED silver aniversary, making sure all speakers are in the correct place with plenty of slack for manuver this evening. I've never been so anal about something.

Tomorrow i have one more speaker to place and fit for wire then i can start to use those wire clip things to nail it into the wall.

I also have to remove those little cap things that are stuck in the ends of my speaker terminals on my 3805 so I can insert my banana plugs.

10. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there, i didnt get to demo the 6000, but saw a pair at creative( they were waiting for the rest, I think?), so didnt demo

I recommend demo'ing the JM Sib XL set as an alternative they have 2 x 5" and are about the same size.

a month later after buying the set im very happy

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    What's the latest verdict?

12. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fit the QED on Sunday and removed the plugs out the back of the 3805.

The banana plugs are a bit rubbish (the threads on them suck, where can i get good ones? plugs i mean, not threads).

Fired up the speakers with bog standard terrestrial TV. Compared to the TV speakers i have been using for the past year? F***ing brilliant! I didnt have time to sit there reading the manual (i got called up by work) and tuning it in. Managed (just) to get the auto setup working using the mic that you get with it. Sounded better.

Tonight (tuesday) when i got home from work i got down to business. I got out my Radio Shack analogue sound meter (the one from the Avia DVD) and started to really tune it. I referenced a 74dB level and got all the speakers running at that level. I found that the distances that the mic that came with the denon measured the sub incorrectly (about 1.5meters too far away in fact) apart from that everything else seemed to work fine.

Using the sound testers from the Avia dvd, the one that makes the sound that goes around and around your room, i found that the surround speakers are not quite right, not sure how to explain it, but the sound doesnt quite go _right_ around. I think i need to do a bit more tweaking (which i will do tomorrow).

Even so, I watched End of Days this evening and was blown away by the sounds (even after my rough (quick and impatient) set up). I had to turn up the volume on the sub, a touch to get a bit more rumble. Or is it my Q150E isnt enough?

So far the speakers are impressing. They look good, they arent at all imposing (even though they are tall) in my small front room. The sound is shockingly clear and precise. So far so good.

Does anyone know how to alter the speaker levels on each, without having to turn on the test tone on the 3805?

13. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any more feedback for us, Frustin? I think I am about to take the plunge!

Many TIA...

14. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had a busy week last week i was to tired to spend laborious hours tweaking my speakers. This weekend, I did! Oh my! They are now sounding beautiful.

Originally, I said that i used the mic that comes with the amp. Do not use it. Its rubbish! All the settings were wrong. The dB's for each speaker were set completely incorrectly (all set to about 10dB +-3).

The mic distances setup were fairly accurate, apart from the subwoofer which it thought was nearly 5 meters away (in a room that is about four). Its partly my fault i am sure. I read that the reference dB levels that they use in industry is 85dB. I dont recall setting it that high.

Anyway all is well. I set all the levels on the amp to 0dB for everthing. Starting with the center speaker I turned up the master volume until it reached 85dB on my sound meter (which is pretty loud for a white noise test signal). I turned the sub's LFE level (cant remember if this is the actual name, what i do know is it turns up the volume) to about half way.

So i now have my reference level set up. I then ride through each speaker altering the level (on a per speaker bases) until it reaches 85dB on my meter. The sub was the most difficult. The needle bounces around all over the place for that so i just put on a film that had a lot of banging around (bad boys 3, chase scene) and turned up the level until it sounded right for me.

Now everything sounds right! I put some music later on and it sounds amasing. i had a big cheesy grin on my face the rest of the day. Let me tell you, if you buy these speakers and have them set up properly you will NOT be dissapointed.

15. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Loved these speakers at the Bristol show and have been awaiting their release - time for me to retire the missions me thinks!! :D

How well do the KEF's integrate with the Rel? as I will have a similar setup to yours (albeit with a different Denon amp)

...time to splash some cash...again! :thumbsup:

16. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had the AVC-A10SE before the 3805.

Sub intergration seems to be working fine. best thing is to get the speakers and give it a whirl. i did test in shop (on a quake). seems to work fine anyway.

The sound is ****ing amasing. I just recieved House Of Flying Daggers today, looking forward to giving that a whirl, LOUD!

17. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    cheers frustin! :thumbsup:

18. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had a party last weekend. played them loud (5/7 channel surround), after a few hours the amp got so hot (i couldnt touch the top) it cut itself out. I am not sure how normal this is but its got me a bit worried. there's no fan on the 3805.

EDIT: it should be noted i had a couple of MX1's mounted in Zone 3 which i was using at the same time as the KHT6000's.

19. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Frustin....

Have to ask (and really don't want to p on ur partee)....

Saw (heard?) the 6000's at the Sound nd Vision last week. Sounded fab (I have eggs).

Talking to rep about all sorts -cabling came and they advised do NOT use Silver wire on KHTs. Reason they gave was metal speaker dome is "bright" - silver cable is bright - result is too "bright".

I am looking to get 6000 centre and leave eggs as other 4 (for time being - again KEF advice) and will ahve to re-wire.

If you havent compared I know its hard to ask but ahs anyone else thoughts on this?

Evan

20. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Frustin, still happy with the speakers? Am thinking about adding them to my shopping shortlist and it helps that the are wf friendly :clap:

21. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, still happy. There was a post where someone said that kef said that silver cable shouldnt be used as it makes the sound to bright. That may be correct it might be a load of balls, cable is cable, good cable prevents loss in signal i am not sure how it can alter the sound apperance.

I have silver annerversary all the way round, and the sound is quite bright, but on the other hand the speakers are still new and not worn in.

I am not sure how you could try this out, unless the company you buy from will let you try it out.

22. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Please to say I bought a set (in black) with Velodyne SPL in black as well.

Looks so good, going to buy another set of extenders.

My only complaint is that the speakers were darned hard to install on the extenders :(

23. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hard to install on the extenders? i didnt find that. i did find that you had to give them a good push for them to click in to place.

How is the Velodyne SPL? How much and where from?

24. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    the problem is getting the standard bases out to fit in the extenders. One of the plugs is stuck :(. Spoke to KEF today and they suggested a screwdriver or send back to them.

On the Velodyne, I think its a matter of preference because I find it blends seemlessly with the KEFS but I think those who want a lot more boom may find it lacking. Given that I live in flat...my neighbours might have issues :). They certainly did with my gigaworks sub!

On how much...its hard to say because I bought everything in a single package exl tv and of course Mark Grants cables and its all black :devil:

25. mla003

mla003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, saw that you bought a KHT6000, I am planning to buy just the centre speaker. May I know if you still feel the same about the speakers? Would you know if it will work good with B&O speakers? I am only missing a centre speaker and would greatly appreciate your opinion....

Thanks!