1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 5005 question - Have i been conned?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GazTheHat, Apr 5, 2005.

1. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi All,

I bought just before xmas, some Kef Eggs 2005.2 and a Kef 5005 centre (or so i thought). The centre speaker started to droop, so i tightened it up and the thread broke! :mad:

Is this something that i can get exchanged on warranty, or do i have to source another one? If so, just the shop i got them or is there somewhere else?

* Whilst i was lOOking on eBay/Kef etc, i noticed in the 5005 kit, you get:

1 x HTC5001 UNI-Q centre channel speaker and 4 x HTS5001 UNI-Q satellite speakers.

I was told the Kef eggs are not good as a centre speaker, so he recommended a 5005 centre he'd got lying around. Although now lOOking more into this, i have a HTS5001 sattelite speaker, not the HTC5001 centre speaker. :thumbsdow

Would this make a difference? As i thought centre speakers were different and dedicated to being centre speakers. Just thought i'd ask the "real" experts before shouting my mouth off at this clown.

Any help appreciated....

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HTS5001 AND HTC5001 are the same, apart from the HTC having the KEF badge positioned for horizontal and the lack of a threaded hole in the base.

The HTC is only available if you buy the whole package...

It sounds like you installed the wall mount upside down as when it is installed with the bolt pointing to your left as you look at it, the whole assembly tightens as the speaker tries to droop.

If you mount the speaker wall mount the wrong way round, the whole assembly loosens as the speaker drops.

I know this as a good mate of mine has the KHT5005 and KEF advised to install the bracket so it was facing his left as it was installed.

3. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the reply. That's good to know there's no technical/shape differences in the speakers, i can live with the bad on it's edge. So the only clown might be me :D

The mounting plate the way i have it, has the bolt pointing to the left, as you say. So the speaker slides on from the left to right. After 3 months it drooped, like i said and has now snapped. :(

4. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Contacted the shop, they're exchanging the bolt tomorrow. Simple! Guess i was too anxious and paranoid then about the whole thing. Worried me when the speaker was a different model #. GazTheHat Cinema will be up and running again as of tomorrow... :thumbsup: