1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 5005 Center Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kootuu, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi There,

I was just wondering if the center for the Kef KHT 5005 system is any different to the surrounds, as is not the case with the 2005 eggs.

I currently have the MK1 eggs and am looking to gradually upgrade the speakers. Now Creative Audio sell them individually for £150 which is fine by me, but is the center speaker just a normal surround turned on it's side? Or is it a dedicated center?

I heard you can only buy the center for this system in a package deal so yea, that would skupper my plans if this is the case!

One more thing about the center - I'm not that impressed with the dialogue of the 2005 Mk1 "center" - does the 5005 rectify this problem of "thin" sounding dialogue. I would like something punchier and clearer. And also, do they produce any bass? The 2005 eggs do not so I just wondered if the 5005's do.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No 5005 owners out there? :(

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I don't have teh 5005 setup, but here's a shot in the dark:

The 5005 is likely to improve the centre channel in your setup as it is a better speaker than the MKI egg. However it is also likely that it will highlight the weakness in your other 2 front eggs and make the sound even more unbalanced.

It is a common bit of advice on these forums to get 3 front speakers that MATCH each other. Some people have tried different centres from Kef, eg. Q9C, etc but I suspect they will all upgrade the full front 3 at some stage soon anyway.

Save your cash until you can afford a new set up front adn they don't neccessarily have to be Kef's either. Two eggs at the back will fit fine with most speakers for films.

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for your help :)

I am sure it will highlight the weakness in my front two - eventually I plan on upgrading ALL of the speakers - all five. But I wanted to do it gradually, 1 center, then the 2 fronts and then the 2 rears.

My main concern is that the 5005's won't produce any bass alone - as in, without a sub will there be any bass? If not, will the sound be less "thin" and tinny that the eggs? I suppose this goes out to 5005 owners as only they will know probably.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Me again. :blush:

I suspect the 5005's aren't going to produce any more bass than the Eggs - neither are designed too. They are both sat speakers designed to produce frequencies above 80 hz. Going lower? That's what the sub in either setup is for.

The 5005 may produce a better mid-range and this is the frequency where the vocals in most films are found. The midrange on the MKI eggs has always been regarded as a bit thin, the 5005's should be better in this respect. :)

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Just happened to be in my local AudioT at lunchtime having a look at 5005s. I plan to do exactly the same as you - actually upgrade the 3 front speakers and leave the Eggs to do the rear and the sub.

There is no dedicated centre as far as I can see - its just a normal one on its side.

I've done an extensive search on the 5005s and everybody sells the complete set for £1200 and individually at £150.

7. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im interested in the 5005's as well. Im looking for a setup i can ideally use for music and films, but dont fancy loads of floorstanders and booksehlfs, as i would like some lifestyle speakers to keep things looking nice and tidy! Demo'd the Eggs and then the kef Q4 floorstanders with matching centre and two eggs at the rear today - Eggs were much crisper with the films, but the Floorstander set up beat it on music quite easily. So im thinking something in the middle of both might be good, and a 5005 set up at the front with eggs on the rears sounds appealing. Id be interested if anyone has a setup like this already, and if so, how does it work out?

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ahh right someone mentioned the mid-range to me, I'm hoping the 5005's produce a fuller sound :)

I want to upgrade the front 3 first, but also the sub - I feel this is VERY important as the eggs and the 5005's do not produce any bass, so it's good to have a nice sub - the 5005 sub sounded good from what I can remember - only heard onee, ages ago can't remember it well.

Any other 5005 owners want to say anything?

9. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm just interested to hear what your impressions of the 5005's were philipb? Where is your local Audio-T dealer out of interest?

Cheers,
    Chris

10. mikeywu

mikeywu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 5005 package setup in my home doubles both music and HT duty. I drive them with Yami RX-V2400 and I am very happy with the performance of the speakers. The center speaker is cosmetically slightly different than the 4 surround speakers: The KEF logo is mounted horizontally (no you can't rotate it) and it comes with a special stand in the back so the oval shaped speaker does not roll. It does provide a richer sound than the eggs but no more bass. Overall I think it is a great buy with an much more pleasing look than the eggs.

11. Rudkin

Rudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re: the centre speaker, the only difference, and I'm not joking, is the Kef badge is rotated to allow the logo to be viewed correctly when the speaker is laid horizontal. I'mm using the 5005's as sats in a 7.1 set up and the sound is awesome. Much more mid than the "egg" but make sure you set up the crossover correctly for the sub or the sound can become "muffled". Interestingly i used a Denon 3805 AV receiver in auto set up mode with its own microphone and it set the 5005's as large speakers. I've done some measuremnts and they work well down to 70Hz.