1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 5005 advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by machu, Jul 23, 2004.

1. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    What would sound batter (IYO)?

KEF 5005 (5.1) Price: £1200

or

2 * KEF 9000 (fronts) ~£1000
    1 * KEF 5005 (center) ~£150
    2 * Bose Acoustimass 5 (rear) - my old stereo system £0
    1 * KEF sub ~£350

I know the second selection is strange, but I can't afford a complete 9000 system. I already own Bose speakers so I figured I could use them for surround. So, what are your thoughts?

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For mostly movie use / multichannel audio and occasional 2 channel music I would go 5005 all round, also if no future upgrades are envisaged I would go for the matched package.

Mainly 2 channel music then the 9000 mismatch option or better still full range floorstanders if it's an option to not go for a lifestyle type speaker.

If budget allows how about the 9000 / 5005 / Bose now, then buy either 2 more 5005's later on or better still replace the 5005 center with a 9000 and add another 5005 to replace the Bose rears later on.

Gus

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    machu

Do you have a longer term game plan? I guess you do otherwise as 337gus suggests you'd probably be better served by a matched system within your current budget.

If yes where do you aim to take the whole system?

If the systems mostly for movies then you need to put more money into a better centre channel - its doing far more work than your Front L/R a lot of the time.

Aim for a better matched front array than you've proposed!

You don't say what's driving the proposed loudspeaker set up - no sense spending a bundle on loudspeakers if you cant drive them properly.

Best regards

Joe

4. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be using Pioneer VSX AX5i-S. The system will be used 99% of time on movies and TV. I guess I will go with a matched 5005s...I can't imagine myself spending over £1500 as temporary solution, in my book it's just too expensive to shell out £3000 (1500 now and 1500 for future buy of three remaining 9000s) on a speaker set. Thanks for your insight guys.

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The AX5i and 5005 should be a tremendous combination. I run a 2011 (forerunner of the AX5i) with Kef 2005.1 and it is very good as a movie playback system. By all accounts the 5005 is a considerable step up and should serve you well for years. TV via PLII is a real winner.

Regards

Gus

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    machu

I've not got my KEF price list handy so cant do the sums at present but if your keen to possibly go for the more upmarket set up in the long run how about:

1 x KHT-9000 for the Centre
    2 x KHT-5005 Front L/R
    1 x PSW 2500 Sub
    2 x Bose L/R Surround

And then when budget allows you can either add in another set of the KHT-5005 Satts for the Surrounds and put the Bose to the rear for 7:1.

Or if you have more budget add in a pair of the KHT-9000 at the Front and move the KHT-5005 to the surrounds and again the Bose to the Rears [until you add in some more KHT-5005 :)]

Best regards

Joe