Kef 5005.2 and onkyo 606/ tips wanted

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kunal_x, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kunal_x

kunal_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Just joined the forum and its great to see all you helping with this huge pool on info. i have learned so much over these last two days that i had to join it and offer my input.

No I have just bought the Onkyo 606 and Kef 5005.2 ( hope its good combi) I just fell in love when i heard it. I trialed the Mission cubes and B&W MT1 and didnt like em so much they just fall flat on face compared to KEF.

Anyway they havent been setup properly yet and thought i get some tips from you expert users. if any...

Some other things to do on my list are

1. Get 37"-42" LCD TV (plasma wont do) And dont want to spend over 600 pounds. Its just going to be a temp Tv before I buy proper one for the proper cinema system. any ideas.

2. I need those gorgeous Kef 5005 high gloss black stands. know where i could get good deal on it. £200 for a pair is a bit expensive for me now or i will have to cancel my holiday :suicide:

once setup i will be posting a proper review on the system, any help guys will be much appreciated.

K:smashin:

2. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    The 606 has an automatic set-up, as you probably know, just let it do its thing and see how it sounds to your ears.

When you get your proper telly, is that when your getting a plasma.....?:devil:

3. richpike

richpike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Kunal,

Good choice, I have the 605 and the kefs. I still smile when I listen to them :thumbsup:

1 What settings are you after? I set the sats to 100hz and the sub to 120hz
    then I used Audyssey to calibrate the speakers.

2 I have a Samsung 40" LCD (LE40M86 I think) - it's more than good enough for me, you can pick them up quite cheaply now. I spent an afternoon visiting comet stores etc to find the best tv, then found the cheapest price online.

3 The floor stands are nice, I plan to wall mount so haven't looked into prices. I'd try the classifieds on here before buying, you might find a bargain if your patient.

Let me know what you think of the kefs when you've set them up :clap:

Cheers

4. kunal_x

kunal_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the crude setup ( without audessey) and listening to them. and they are WOW!!!:clap: defo!

I am just impatient now to get back home and set it up properly. the first time i looked at them was 4 years ago and guess what they retailed at same price !!

Thanks for the tip on TV will try having a look. I am also tempted now to make a floating wall and hoist it up to the wall.

5. Hi-Def

Hi-Def

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    just waiting for these to come instock at the store then ill be buying these as a combo aswell

what did you manage to get yours for in the end?

6. kunal_x

kunal_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a great deal on cash, i kinda rushed into it. I bought the whole package for £1900 that includes onkyo 606, kef 5005.2, 2 QED HDMI cables, 1 QED oxygen free sub cable, 26 metres of micro silver anyversary and 10 banana plugs. I bought it from superfi in camden in london . who at the time were also offering £10 B&Q vouchers for every £100 purchase so thats kinda £190 back in vouchers. Plus 12 months interest free . so i worked out i can pay back £135 in 12 months and have the vouchers, so that i can build my floting wall. :cool:

7. Magslad

Magslad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Nice choice kunal - I've got the 606 and 5005.2's as well. Have been sitting upstairs for a month or so while I decided on which plasma to get, but now that it's arrived (installed it this evening :thumbsup:) my project for the weekend is to set up the Onkyo, Kefs and my BD30 bluray - am going to try the Audyssey setup and see what it's like, then play about a bit to see what difference it makes. I'll post back on this thread with my thoughts after I've done it.

richpike, is this the recommended settings for the 5005's, or is this what you arrived at after trial and error? Also, do you have the sats set to 'small'?

Thanks

8. kunal_x

kunal_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yah same situations , am still looking for my decent tv, and my room has to go through major refurb.

i have set my eyes on the sony bravia 40W4000. digital direct had it for £1050 then £980 then £950 and now £910.00 if it breaks the £900 barier i will just buy it.:clap:

I too will post my thoughts when i setup the kefs.

9. richpike

richpike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Morning Guys,

It's not the recommended settings - I couldn't find any, it is what I use based on the kefs specs. The sats will struggle below 95hz (based on kef spec), so I set the crossover to 100hz and above 120hz the sub will become directional.
    Yes, I set the sats to small.

Hope this helps.

Cheers