1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 45B THX Subwoofer, Set up advice required!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bal Singh, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Bal Singh

Bal Singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired a lightly used Kef 45B THX Subwoofer. It is a very big speaker which weighs a ton and has a very big 15 inch driver fitted. In spite of this I am a little confused with it's (lack of) performance.

As far as I know it was a very well rated and strong performing model.
    Since I have had it I have been rather underwhelmed by its performance, friends subs who are much smaller, cheaper, less sustantial, less well rated models seem to out perform it in most respects.

I am aware that it is a sealed box design and these are more fussy in their placement and operation but any advice on this model would be most appreciated.

Regards, bal

2. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Bal.

I had one of these for a couple of years and found as you have it was a little underwhelming. I found it best when hard up against a wall, about three feet from a corner with the driver pointing directly at the listening postion. It also seemed easy to blow the saftey cut out fuse (the start of Toy Story 2, Phantom Menace), so i'd get some spairs before you turn it up.

Now have a SVS and find it delivers much more low end fun. :D

3. Bal Singh

Bal Singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input frozendexter, I think replacement of this sub is probably the best option here, Mine has blown a few fuses as well.

Not one of kefs best offerings I think..............

Regards bal