1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF 45B THX SUB sleeping.. please help!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jules, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I've had the KEF THX speaker package for some time now including the 45B SUB. (used with a Denon AVC A1SE).<br />The problem is that the sub goes into 'sleep' mode when I'm listening to music at a moderate volume.<br />Is there anyway I can make it stay on without increasing the overall balance of the system.

Also I'm looking at buying a 2nd one to help with phase consistencies in the room and to create a 'stereo sub' effect.<br />Can it be connected at both high and low levels without damage. (I intend to use the high level inputs for direct stereo, whilst using the low level input for surround sound).

Is this a sensible thing to do, or should I invest in a single bigger sub, lik a REL Stadium?

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Just picked up a 45B today and the sleeping thing is really annoying me too.

I can be listening to music at a volume level that is right below the "sleep threshold" and then a louder bass note will suddenly wake it up (and the sub makes a little pop.) It also pops when i mute my amp, or change sound mode (DD, THX and so on). Very odd.

Jules did you ever figure out a way to stop it?

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I could be completely wrong here and as yet I haven’t checked the facts but here it goes:
    I was in Middleton recently buying a second hand DVD player. The bloke happened to have an A1SE and a full KEF THX setup, including the 45B sub. Apparently he said that the volume coming out of the sub was less than when he had his old Yamaha A1. This was because
    "...the sub output on Denon amps is less than other makes. The way that the KEF sub works means that this low output is more critical than with a Velodyne or REL."
    Now, this could be a complete load of rubbish, but he had all the kit in the room, and had no reason to lie. Perhaps this low output is not strong enough to keep the sub "awake".

Russell

4. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does the sub have a seperate volume/gain control. If so, can you turn the LFE channel up on the amp and then turn the volume on the Subwoofer (a corresponding amount) down? That way the sub should be getting a 'higher' level signal which would prevent it from going to sleep. You might need an SPL meter to match the two changes though.

Mac.

5. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks for the suggestion Big Mac, my SPL meter should be arriving tommorow so will try it.