KEF 3005SE Setup

EvertonMonkey

Hi, I have the Sony STR-DA5300ES with the KEF 3005SE speakers, could anyone help me with what to set the cross over frequency to ?

Also the old sub cable I have with my Kef 2005.1 system seems to be loose fitting on the new HTB2SE amp, have sub cables changed in the last 5-6 years ?

Any help appreciated.

VoodooDoctor

Hi, I have the Sony STR-DA5300ES with the KEF 3005SE speakers, could anyone help me with what to set the cross over frequency to ?

Also the old sub cable I have with my Kef 2005.1 system seems to be loose fitting on the new HTB2SE amp, have sub cables changed in the last 5-6 years ?

Any help appreciated.

I have mine at 80Hz. Manual for the sub recommends 120Hz. Tried both couldn't really tell the difference but I was advised that 120Hz might lead to a bit of directionality (word?) for the bass so I knocked it back down to 80Hz.

Don't think subwoofer cables have changed at all. Should probably get a new one if it's not making a decent connection.

EvertonMonkey

I have mine at 80Hz. Manual for the sub recommends 120Hz. Tried both couldn't really tell the difference but I was advised that 120Hz might lead to a bit of directionality (word?) for the bass so I knocked it back down to 80Hz.

Don't think subwoofer cables have changed at all. Should probably get a new one if it's not making a decent connection.

Cheers voodoo,

Will try that, the sub cable used to fit into one of the red and white phono cables on my old amp, the new amp seems slightly smaller, may it's just my memory :)

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
The crossover frequency depends on the spec of your individual speakers and your sub. If your main speakers only go down to say 120 Hz and your cross over is set to 80 then you'll have a 40Hz hole in the sound, or thats the theory anyways. If the manual states 120Hz I'd try that first and only alter it if your not entirely happy. Remember, if the manual states a crossover of 120Hz then they have designed their sub and speakers to crossover at this frequency. Directionality shouldn't be to much of an issue, just listen and if you can pinpoint the direction the bass is coming from and it bugs you then drop the frequency a bit if you prefer, but I'd be supprised if you could to any noticable degree.

80Hz is the specification reccommended by THX, but this assumes your speakers, sub and to a lesser degree your amp are THX certified and your main speakers will reach down to 80 Hz, something alot of HT speaker dont really do ( I think yours go down to 70 HZ, but at that freq. will be so wuiet you can hardly hear them which is why you need your sub to crossover a little and compensate). Not to say this wont work, alot of manufacturers dont want to pay for THX certification or have different ideas but this frequency could still work well for you.

IMO try the reccommended 120 Hzfirst, if your not happy then switch to 80Hz or try going in between at say 100Hz. Let your ears be the judge in the end, although if your like me it takes about 2 weeks of listening to decide its not quite right:(

EvertonMonkey

The crossover frequency depends on the spec of your individual speakers and your sub. If your main speakers only go down to say 120 Hz and your cross over is set to 80 then you'll have a 40Hz hole in the sound, or thats the theory anyways. If the manual states 120Hz I'd try that first and only alter it if your not entirely happy. Remember, if the manual states a crossover of 120Hz then they have designed their sub and speakers to crossover at this frequency. Directionality shouldn't be to much of an issue, just listen and if you can pinpoint the direction the bass is coming from and it bugs you then drop the frequency a bit if you prefer, but I'd be supprised if you could to any noticable degree.

80Hz is the specification reccommended by THX, but this assumes your speakers, sub and to a lesser degree your amp are THX certified and your main speakers will reach down to 80 Hz, something alot of HT speaker dont really do ( I think yours go down to 70 HZ, but at that freq. will be so wuiet you can hardly hear them which is why you need your sub to crossover a little and compensate). Not to say this wont work, alot of manufacturers dont want to pay for THX certification or have different ideas but this frequency could still work well for you.

IMO try the reccommended 120 Hzfirst, if your not happy then switch to 80Hz or try going in between at say 100Hz. Let your ears be the judge in the end, although if your like me it takes about 2 weeks of listening to decide its not quite right:(

Thanks for the info I will begin my testing now :clap:

EvertonMonkey

Did anyone manage to use banana plugs on the KEF 3005SE speakers ?, I couldn't find anyway to remove the ends to get to the banana plug sockets.

On my amp, do I have to set the cross over frequency for each speaker, i.e Left Centre Right and surrounds ? If so should the cross over frequency be the same for each channel ?

EvertonMonkey

I have the HTB2SE sub switch set to auto, but sometimes it does not turn on automatically, if I switch it to manual the low frequency sounds are coming from the sub, but does anyone else have this problem on auto / know how to make it work correcty when set to auto ?

Also, anyone using the banana plugs on the 3005SE's ?

Event Horizon

Did anyone manage to use banana plugs on the KEF 3005SE speakers ?, I couldn't find anyway to remove the ends to get to the banana plug sockets.

On my amp, do I have to set the cross over frequency for each speaker, i.e Left Centre Right and surrounds ? If so should the cross over frequency be the same for each channel ?

hi!!
there is a thread on the forum somewhere that mentions that you are able to push the plastic caps out they will indeed accept the plugs i think the thread included a photo to. i have nt yet done this to mine but will do some time in the future when i get some plugs.
best regards
nick.
i used a 3mm allen key to tap the plastic plug out i think this will then accept a 4mm banana plug.

goatherder

Standard Member
I have made an half baked attempt at fitting banana plugs to 3005se's. Those speaker screws and pretty tough. Good to get confirmation that it can be done. :) Will have another go

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom