kef 3005se and marrantz n1402 help please

Pinkinvader

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have the above combination, but am having trouble getting impressive sound from it. I realise that the amp is not top end but I was expecting better sound and definitely better base. Could someone please give me some tips on best settings? I have tried audessy setup and manual but there is either something I am not doing or the amp is just not up to it. My previous system was the kef five two which was loud and clear although 2.1. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks guys

Have you designated the speakers as being "SMALL" and assigned them a crossover within the manual speaker settings? I'd suggest a crossover of 80Hz for use with the 3005se speakers. I'd probably not have high expetations in terms of stereo performance while using satelite speakers as opposed to conventional cabinets.

Thanks for the reply, yes I have set them to small and crossover set to 100hz also have tried 80, do youthink it could be the amp not up to the job? I thought these speakers were great when reading reviews, also why am I struggling with bass, I have it set on lfe 120hz

Thanks for the reply, yes I have set them to small and crossover set to 100hz also have tried 80, do youthink it could be the amp not up to the job? I thought these speakers were great when reading reviews, also why am I struggling with bass, I have it set on lfe 120hz

The amp is okay, but not very powerful and not the best option for anything other than small rooms. Small sat speakers seldom perform as well as more conventional cabinet designs. The KEFs are what are termed as being lifestyle speakers and pay more attention to their aesthetics than their audio qualities. One of the major drawbacks asspciated with speakers of this size and type is their lack of bass and heavy reliance on the sub.

Have you correctly configured the sub prior to running the Audyssey setup routine?

Ok thanks for that, what do you mean configure the sub?

Prior to running the calibration, ensure that the sub's own crossover id set to its maximum setting or an LFE setting if present. Set phase onboard the sub if it has a phase option, to 0°. Turn its volume dial 1/3 to 1/2. This ensures the subs response will be at its optimum for the calibration. Do not alter these settings after the calibration is complete and ensure that the sub level in the receiver's speaker levels isn't either extremely high or extremely low. If the level is as far at it can go in either direction then you need to rerun the calibration after making adjustments to the sub's own volume in order to compensate for the extreme level in the speaker levels.

After watching the video it would appear that I did the audyssey listening position wrong, this may help, the sub has no volume control just a phase switch 0_180 and another switch that says 0-+6-+12? What should I set that to, there doesn't seem to be much bass adjustment on the amp that I can find. Also speaker frequency seems to differ on different sites some saying 80 then 100 then 120hz, very confusibg

After watching the video it would appear that I did the audyssey listening position wrong, this may help, the sub has no volume control just a phase switch 0_180 and another switch that says 0-+6-+12? What should I set that to, there doesn't seem to be much bass adjustment on the amp that I can find. Also speaker frequency seems to differ on different sites some saying 80 then 100 then 120hz, very confusibg

Set phase to 0 and the other switch to 0.

You shouldn't need bass adjustment.

Look in the speaker's manual at the spec's. Add 10Hz to their lowest rated handling ability to get a viable crossover setting for them.

Last edited:
Pinkinvader i had the 3005se and a marantz nr1501,when i then upgraded the avr to my current yamaha.The difference in sound was incredible,alot deeper,sharper and more enjoyable.The difference realy was night and day.
As was explained to me by a well known forum member at the time,''these speakers sing when driven correctly''...i certainly wasn't disapointed in the upgrade:)
Also how old are your speakers(they do need a little run in time)
If your happy to go second hand then a £1000 avr can be had for a few hundred.

I got the RX A1010,110w per 7channels,the current model is the 1020 i believe.

Ok cheers, so which receiver would people recommend, I don't want to spend too much as I've only recently bought the one I have, what am I looking for just more power per channel,?

It's not just about more power,it's how the speakers are driven...but more power does help:D

Marantz and denon suit kef,as do onkyo and yamaha,there is a wide range to look for inc pioneer,but i was told that a £1000 avr is the way to go for the 3005se,like i said there is a cheaper option,second hand if that suits your budget.
A 110w 7 channel avr is good enough for the speakers you have,any bigger is probably overkill.

By the way i'm not telling you that you have wasted your money on your avr and need to upgrade,just sharing my experiance.:smashin:

Thank you very much for your help, given me some things to think about

You have some cracking speakers mate:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom