Kef 3005 / B&W MT 25 / Tannoy HTS 5.0 with BK Gemini2 Sub

newcomers

Hi guys,

Out of the above 3 setups, how would the Tannoy 5.0 with the BK Gemini2 sub compare against the Kef and B&W setup?

Ideally Id go for the B&W, but im put off by the sub and also a bit too much money. Same story with the Kef package really.

Ive read some good things about the Tannoys, and would be interested to hear how people think they compare with the other 2 packages, when paired with the Gemini.

Thanks

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The B&W M1 speakers that come with the 25 package can be bought separately. This means you can buy the satelite speakers and get a BK sub instead of the B&W one. This will drop the price of the total package without really compromising sound quality (the B&W subs are not the best considering their high price).

newcomers

I thought of that, but at £140 each, thats still about £700 just for the speakers.

How do the tannoys compare to the M1's?

spaceman763

If you shop around the B&W M1's can be bought for less. I remember being quoted around £105 for each speaker from a shop on Tottenham Court Road last Christmas.

newcomers

I take it I should notice a massive difference between the M1's with a Gemini2 compared to what I already have?

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Shop around, you'd be surprised what you can get some of the speaker packages for. Just bear in mind that the 3005 package can't be mail ordered....

mikelj

Out of interest, have you heard any of the speakers you mentioned. I've not heard the Tannoys, but imo the sound produced by the MT's and the Kefs is quite different.

newcomers

My current speaker package is Jamo A102HCS5.

So MT1's paired with Gemini2 would be ok, and a definite upgrade on what I have?

Trying to shop around for the MT1's, but cant seem to find that many below £120!!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The M1s will be a significant upgrade over your current speakers so no need to worry there.

newcomers

And the Gemini Sub would be better than the B&W sub? (obviously not as good as the PV1!)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Gemini II will be better than your current Jamo sub. It may not be quite as good as the B&W PV1 but considering the price difference the performance difference will not be that great. If you want to match if not beat the performance of the PV1 then get the BK Monolith of XLS400 which are half the price of the PV1 but better. The PV1 is not that good considering the price and is more style over substance.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom