1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 30 B sub ? Peoples thoughts .....

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tibetan_tone, Oct 25, 2005.

1. tibetan_tone

tibetan_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm going to replace my AV speakers ....
    I have 4 60S and an 80C - think I'll go for wharfedale diamond 9.1 / 9.CS

BUT ... what to do with the sub ?

Do people think the 30B Kef is still a good sub or does it need replacing ? if so - what with ?

Cheers

Tony

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    Hi Tony, as I said on your last thread - the 30B is a good sub.

There are better subs out there, but I think you will have to pay a disproportionate amount of money in relation to the rest of your system to improve on the Kef

3. Jiffycom

Jiffycom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Kef is still good. How about buying another Kef 30B and having a pair?

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Just spottesd this thread whilst looking for something else, Just to add a piece of opinion on this veritable old sub.

http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/model_30B.asp

I use my 30B sub in conjunction with a decentish hifi setup, that inlcudes a Primare A30.1 amp, Toshiba SD9500, LP12, Diapason Emera’s, I have connected up from the Primare pre-outs to the the L&R low level connections. I have also tried the high level connections (this makes the sub slightly louder ie more gain which I decreased).

Anyway I would recommend this device to anyone who gets the chance of a cheap one these days (and they come up on Ebay often). It is not at all embarassed in the company of £900 standmounts far from it – I was thinking I would need to possibly replace the sub in that event but have not needed to, I have heard quite a few subs that are above £500 I would need to spend to improve on this device – ie with 12” cones or above 100W of power), I have recently played about with a XLS200 and whilst an excellent sub it did not improve on the KEF 30B. So there you have it, if one comes up cheapish its worth considering.

Note I have used it in a 2.1 stereo setup off pre-amp outputs & high level connection from speaker posts on amp, I have no idea how it would sound say off an AV amps LFE socket, but in stereo mode it’s a very capable design. Anyway hopefully this information may come in handy in future to sub users.

5. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm a big fan of KEF and my whole speaker system is KEF but I have not been impressed but their subs, on the whole I think there is better stuff out there at the same price. If I could get a KEF that would compete for movies with other stuff in the same price bracket then I would but I just haven't found one.

MB