Kef 3.2 Where to buy cheap in London?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mark Ward, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm going to London today to see some mates and thought I'd take the opportunity to peruse the Tottneham Court Road hifi stores. Can anyone recommend any particular stores that could do a very special deal on Kef 3.2s?

Cheers,

Mark.

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Did you try Unilet Mark? I picked up a pair of brand new KEF Reference 2-2s from them today for £995 (r.r.p. £1750) and a 100C for £269 (r.r.p. £369). They were excellent to deal with.

By the way, even though the 2-2s apparently take 120 hours to run in, they sound magnificent already - everything I was looking for. My wife, however, just thinks they are "blo*dy big"!

Matt.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I did go to Unilet just yesterday and got an amazing deal on 1.2s in Cherry, funny thing is I got them home and found them a little SMALL! They're only slighty bigger than Kef Q55s.

They do sounds amazing though, I've been thinking I may go back for some 2.2s and Ebay the 1.2s. I bet I'd get back the little money I paid for them (it was their last pair of 1.2s BTW).

Tell ya what.... Wanna swap? :D

Mark.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Uh, no thanks. I went for the 2-2s for the extra bass extension - down to 45Hz at -3dB, 39Hz at -6dB - possibly lower in my room - they certainly sound more like mid 30s Hz to me. Put it this way - there is no way I am tempted to switch on my sub with music and this is exactly what I was after - my sub comes into play with movies, but with the 2-2s set to large so they're doing their bit too.

The 2-2s are also just the right size for me - a fair bit bigger than the 1-2s but nowhere near as big as the 3-2s which would have been way too big for my 16X14ft lounge.

5. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Mark, hope you don't mind me asking but how much did you pay for the 1-2's as I am interested myself. Movies sound great but I want to start getting the music side up to scratch. There is a Unilet Sound & Vision near me in New Malden, are these the same people? Also what equipment are you guys partnering them with.

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Tim

Mine was an exceptionally good deal because they are "b" grade stock. That is they have some cosmetic defect but are perfect in performance.

Mine has the tiniest little mark on the veneer at the very bottom right of the right speaker. It really is nothing, it is the same colour as the veneer and can't really be seen unless you are about 6 inches from it.

For this reason they were only an amazing £649! I don't think they have any more though, and I'd only part with mine if I could be sure of getting the 2.2s I now think I'd have preferred.

Quite honestly I think I'd make money on these if I ebayed them.

Unilet is in New Maldon by the way.

MattF.. I can't say I blame you....What colour did you go for?

Mark.

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I actually went for black ash (real ash veneer painted black mind you, not the crappy vinly black ash print). I do love the cherry and rosenut finishes but I've already got loads of real wood in the room - bookcases, table, trunk, hifi cabinet, tv unit, so any more would be a bit much. It did also cross my mind that if any marks/scratches appear (first born is only 2 months old at the moment but give him time) then black ash would probably not be too difficult to cover up.

As for equipment Tim, I've got a Rotel RDV985 DVD player going into a Tag AV32R then the power comes from a Rotel RB985MKII. I think that's the key with the KEF References - they need a lot of power (100 watts minumum) to sound their best and my 985 does the business - although it's rated at 5X100 watts on paper, when HIFi Choice put it on the test bench they measured 130 watts with all 5 channels driven and, even better, 160 watts in straight stereo. Mind you, should I go to seven channels in the future then it would be very tempting to get a Rotel RB991 (2X200 watts) for the front pair, leaving the 985 to drive the centre and four surround speakers.

As for the 2-2s, I've had a good listen to them today and I love them - best speakers I've ever owned. I'd sum them up by saying they are incredibly smooth but detailed at the same time, great midband for voices, brilliant imaging (thanks to the UniQ drivers) and the bass is deep and incredibly fast. They just seem to have massive headroom i.e. they never sound strained and the response is very flat - no "boom and tiz" - because of this it would be easy to underestimate how good they are on first listen - however, several unfatiguing hours of listening later, you realise exactly what they are all about.

Sorry if I'm gushing - I'm just so impressed!

8. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks gents. I think the 2-2's are too big for my room and funds are limited, but I'm very tempted by the smaller model. I use a Denon A1SE, soon to be replaced by an A1SR. I know its not ideal using an av amp, but it does sound superb in its pure direct mode. Its rated at 7 by 170w (I think reviews said 148w is more realistic with all channels driven). The manual says 200w in 6 ohms, and 2 by 310w into 4 ohms dynamic power. I think the Kefs are rated as 4 ohms, but I don't know the difference between normal ratings and dynamic power. I partner it with Kef reference THX speakers which are excellent for music (for home cinema speakers) but lack detail. When I swap them for my dads Castle Harlechs the Denon outshines his Musical Fidelity X system and sounds clearer than my Kefs, so I know its capable of more. Sorry if I'm going on a bit but I want to make sure I'll hear benefits. I don't want to compromise the home cinema sonics if the music side of things won't improve substantially (which I think it will). Have either of you compared the reference THX with the reference models we're discussing here. What about bi-amping with the Denon POA-T10 power amp (2 times 120watts 8 ohms) I'm using QED Qudos silver speaker cable. Any help and advice is appreciated guys. Thanks

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm using a Bi-Amped Denon AV-A10SE/POA-T10 Combo with the T10 doing the LF and the A10SE the HF. The sound is fabulous, but like MattF I'd like to take advantage of the extra deep bass of the 2.2s and the extra size of the 2.2s isn't a problem for me, so I'm considering selling the 1.2s at the ridiculously cheap price they cost me on Saturday, assuming I can buy some 2.2s today. If I do they'll appear in the classifieds section in the next couple of days.

Mark.

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, that's the $64,000 question and one that I've pondered for ages. My conclusion is that you can't have a set up that is truly brilliant at both movies and music - you can have one that is excellent with movies and good or very good with music or vice-versa but not both - not in my opinion anyway.

Your KEF THX set up is (within reason) about as good as it gets for movies - wide soundstage, front three speakers operating as one wall of sound. However, ask the left and right THX speakers to conjure up a great stereo image and (I think most people would agree) they can't do it very well but they shouldn't be criticised for this because they are not designed to image brilliantly in stereo - they are designed to work as part of a front three and to create a wide listening window in line with THX standards.

Prior to purchasing my KEFs at the weekend, I ran the M&K 750s across the front - excellent with movies and pretty good in stereo (probably better than the KEF THXs due to them being THX Select certified, not Ultra) but still not great at imaging.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that "pretty good in stereo" and "not great at imaging" (my opinions of course) are not good enough for me as I find myself listening to more and more 2 channel music mainly because there is now a baby in my house and music, in my opinion, lends itself more to listening at moderate volume levels than movies do.

I was quite happy to sacrifice a little movie performance in order to regain the great stereo performance that I have enjoyed with previous 2 channel systems. What I don't know yet is how much, if any, of a sacrifice has been made on the movie front as I haven't had an opportunity to crank up the volume with a DVD - however, my wife and baby are away for a few days this weeks so Saving Private Ryan in DTS will be played at a decent volume and I will report back.

On the stereo side, as I've mentioned above, I am now more than happy and believe the KEF Ref 2-2s to be truly great speakers - the key for me was that last night I found myself listening to and enjoying the music itself (Gomez - Bring it on) rather than picking out what the speakers were doing and also playing the whole album which is always a good sign (and something that never really happened with the M&K 750s).

Finally, I wouldn't recommend bi-amping using an AV1SE and the POA-T10 as they have different power outputs - if you are going to bi-amp then the amps should be identical otherwise you'll end up with more volume going to the different drive units.

Matt.

11. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also check out Musical Images in Beckenham, as I've now paid for my purchase I can recommend them again with no worries of 'my' speakers being bought by someone else :D

Picked up 2 x 4.2, 2 x 3.2, 1 x C100, 1 X C200 and a Rel Q400 for £5431 today. Seems to be more or less the same as Unilet and they are all brand new items.