Kef 201

whitewolf

Standard Member
Is 1600 pounds or 2700$ a good price for 201 reference. ?

Secondly if arcam p35 2channel (170-180 watts) amp fine for both of them or will fry them up since 201 rating is 150 max.

S

skinnyfat

Not sure about the price, but you definately wont fry them ewith that amp, the ref's are pretty power hungry and it is better to over power speakers than to underpower

whitewolf

Standard Member
after a lot of discussion with Steve i have finally decided not to go for 206 ds kef surround because i dont have any space on the side walls parallel to me .rather i can place them on the side walls which are ahead 4 feet from my listening postion.

so i have opted out for 201 as my surround speakers to be matched with 205 fronts and 202 center . the price i am getting is 1600 pounds or 2700 $ is that ok ? and are the speakers ok ?

second i will order a amp p35 tomorrow 2 channel for 201 is that ok ?

thirdly i need a woofer . which woofer to go for .Psw5000 is out of my range and i guess not suitable for my room.
now i am looking forward to psw 3000 and psw 4000 . so which one ?

danny daniell

£1600 sounds like a decent deal to me (20% off list) & sub wise,plump for the PSW 4000 which is the starter reference model.

Danny :)

whitewolf

Standard Member
what about the psw 3000?

secondly i will order a amp p35 tomorrow 2 channel for 201 is that ok ? since the 201 have 150 max watts limit

Steve.EX

Have you looked on the Sevenoaks site?
They have several pairs circa £1350.00

Whilst of course they will work with a P35 they follow the long standing Reference tradition of really wanting some grunt. How about a P35 per speaker or something?

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Why would you want a Kef sub? Post this question in the subs forum with a likely budget and some room details.

Russell

S

skinnyfat

russ.will said:
Why would you want a Kef sub? Post this question in the subs forum with a likely budget and some room details.

Russell

I think he already has ?! and I have already guided him towards the likes of BK monolith, SVS, B&W ASW xxx etc. Maybe he didn't like the idea of me slagging the Kef subs:D

whitewolf

Standard Member
i want a Kef sub since my whole system would be kef based so i dont want to lose any kind of color with anther sub.

As for the p35 amp i cant provide 2 for the rears . i already have 3 amps and 1 to go i guess 4 is enough :)

S

skinnyfat

whitewolf said:
i want a Kef sub since my whole system would be kef based so i dont want to lose any kind of color with anther sub.

As for the p35 amp i cant provide 2 for the rears . i already have 3 amps and 1 to go i guess 4 is enough :)
Sorry to be blunt but I cant imagine why you would spend good money on great speakers like the kef refs and then not want to have a capable sub to compliment them. While I can understand your desire to keep everything onr brand but I'm sure you can find a finish that will match from either BK or SVS. The Kef ref subs aren't necessarily poor but you would do much better with the likes of SVS and BK and you'd likely save some cash too. Anyone else agree ??

whitewolf

Standard Member
yes i think you right mate. my vendor just changed his price on the kef rear he now says that he never said that the rears 201 were for 1600 pounds. his price now is 2200 pounds with stands.

now i am running out of budget here. i got 3000 pounds atm. i am thinking of buying either the REl R-305 or 505 as a subwoofer as u guys suggestted that kef subs arent that good. plus i am gonna buy the arcam p35 now i am just stuck with the rears . kef 201 or 206 both are very expensive . i should have bought the 206 but they are not fitting in my room due to lack of sidewall space . so whats the second best rear i should go for now. ? i am confused helpp.

S

skinnyfat

In this case I am going to suggest staying with Kef and point you towards the iQ8ds, which although not part of the ref. range it is one of the better di-poles out there, and it will match well with the rest of your Kef kit

whitewolf

Standard Member
ok so it ends like this. since the 201 were like 2200 pounds with stands so i order a REL 505 subwoofer for 1000 pounds plus a arcam p35 2 channel amp for my rears . as for my rears i have to tell my vendor tomorrow for sure.

so what are my options except the 201 which is out of my range. i looked upon the q series . there are 2 . one is q series and the other is Xq series. i think the x q series is superior i am researching on it now . any other options ?

whitewolf

Standard Member
just came on a thread about the xq 1 and xq 5 . how are they for the rears and whats a reasonable price for them ?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom