KEF 200C or tdm 23c

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by thekingbeyond, Mar 23, 2006.

1. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Has any one owned the kef 200c and the tdm 23c or have compared the 2 and can give me their opinion on them, I have a 23c and I am considering swapping to a 200c because of size constraints:thumbsup:

2. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,390
    Technically the TDM23c is the perfect tonal match for your other gear, but I have tried both and prefer the 200c. I can't pretend there was a discernable difference, It may have been a subconcious decision based on the asthetics of them both, and the fact that I have never seen an adverse review of the 200c. It has a huge fan base. They are also still sought after on the secondhand market.
    shadowritten started a thread in the chat room asking if asthetics are an influence in purchasing descisions. The Kef THX speakers are excellent speakers but do not win any prizes for their looks.

3. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Really its a size issue for me the tdm centre is just to high, I might buy a used 200c to demo and if I dont like it I can sell it on

4. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I have used Kef thx package. I started with kef thx package without 23c instead I was using 200c but wasn't happy as it didn't match the whole package sonicly but replaced it with 23C and never looked back IMHO 23C has got plenty of slam if you ask me I will go for 23C specialy if I got the matching speakers to go with it.

5. andyTT

andyTT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from the smaller 95c to the 200c and never looked back. I paid just over £200 for the 200c (Hyperworld on ebay) and it was probably the best HiFi bargain I have ever bought.
    A few weeks later I reviewed the new 202c and could not hear any benefit over the 200c. I have never heard the TDM 23c so cannot comment, I can however say I seriously doubt you will ever regret buying the 200c esp. if you can get it for just over £200, it really is a stunning piece of kit.

Not the most atractive speaker however, the wife calls it the fallen grave stone!!

6. tommy4455

tommy4455
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i,ve had both and there is no comparison the 23c is awesome with amazing detail and good slam . i have a 23c for front center and rear back and the detail and atmosphere it provides is 1st class for the money , always one for sale on e bay , got my last one for £150 mint condition, the 200c is a little tame in comparison :clap:

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Yep, I had the THX package and the whole is still my favorite ever speaker package... I owned it for 10 years before selling it due to size constraints.

no contest between the 2 speakers you mention. I've had both, and the TDM23 is just in another league. It just has 2 particular draw backs... Size and (deliberate) limited vertical dispersion.

I remain a massive fan of the old TDM speakers if you have room for them.

8. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    This is an old thread, its almost fives year ago I asked the question.
    My 23c has been relegated to back centre duties, being replaced by a kef xq2c. The 23c while a very good speaker is not in the same league as the xq2c and the difference is staggering. I still have the full set of tdms, I use the rears and centre, the front l&r are in the loft along with the sub.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011