1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 200c good/compatible upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RayB, Aug 30, 2005.

1. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have Mission 754 Freedom 5 fronts and 752 rears at the moment, the centre is a 75c.

Got the chance to pick up a new boxed Kef 200c for £350.00

1. Is this a sensible upgrade - tonal match to 754's?
    2. I understand the 4 ohm Kef 200c is hard to drive - will my meaty Karmon Kardon AVR8500 hack it? (The 754's are 6 ohm and the 752's are 8 ohm)
    3. I have an old Arcam 290P power amp in the loft, would using this as a decicated power amp for the centre be a forwards or backwards step from driving all 5 channels from the AVR8500 integrated amps as I do at present?

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    1) Not really.
    2) Depends on how hard you want to drive it.
    3) It will help load wise, you will no doubt have to bi-amp the 200c with both channels of 290p. Performance wise is less IMHO of an issue as the "damage" has already been done with the lack of tonal uniformity in using the (great) Kef center with other L/R's.

3. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair comment, but short of starting again what do i do? The 754's are decent speakers the 75c is not.

Could start again what do you suggest?

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Is there no other Mission alternative?
    Starting again won't be cheap! i am so sure you know that. Not that many options are there?
    If your the type of guy who is not bothered by a shift in tonality across the front three, which may not be that massive, but any change is imho, noticable then you can't go wrong with a 200c for £350 - it's a really good center!
    Another Mission center, in all honesty i have absolutely bare-bones knowledge of Mission kit, is the 75c the best/largest/whatever they "do"? Are different centers matched specifically to a single pair of fronts?
    Start again. Invariably ends up costing more than you had hoped! Takes alot of time if you want to be sure you have made the best VFM for your tastes.

5. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the problem. There was no centre speaker ever released for the 75 Freedom series. The 75c matched the original 75 series (751/2/3) then a mark 2 range called "Freedom" was released (751/2/3/4F) with a significantly revised tweeter (not as bright and harsh) BUT, they never got round to releasing a matched centre for this range.

The 75 series was later superceded by the 77 and 78 series which did have a matched centre (77c and 78c etc).

I don't know how good and matched a 77c or 78c would be with my 754 Freedoms

So Mission cocked it up for us 75 Freedom owners. Like I say the 75c is rubbish with the Freedoms so once again it comes back to a new centre or start again.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Could you not replace/update the 75c drivers? Would not be my first choice but with a little bit of research i am sure you can find parameters on the drivers themselves and see just how alike/compatible the (i.e) 77 drivers are and make an educated guess at whether it is a sensible option (paying particular attention to the driver/enclosure relationship)

7. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Steve.EX, Good plan, I'll look into it.

Has anyone on the forum gone down this route? Indeed if you are using the Mission Freedom Series as fronts what centre are you using and is it any good?

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  9. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    All I can add is that the 200C is one of the best centres ever released (for sensible money) and dialogue and sound effects are crystal clear.

10. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mattmarsden,

What do fronts do you team your 200c with?

12. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Kef ref 4.2s. The best speakers I've ever heard and I'm not gonna replace them ever!! They're powered by a Krell 300cx - they need some meaty amplification.

13. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I looked at going a simiar route would my Harmon Kardon AVR8500 be up to the job of running them?

14. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    No

15. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you come straight to the point and not sit on the fence :rotfl:

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Ray.

Honestly mate - No, or to put it another way No.

Steven

17. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joking apart, is this from a current or sound quality point of view?

18. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You suspect you know the answer already i reckon.
    Very simply, the big Kefs just won't work. They are really really great speakers for not too much money nowadays (I never quite understood why i haven't ever owned a pair).
    I tend to think they will just sound understated and without any real presence really, with quite possibly a sense of poor timing. If i were to be brutally honest i would almost be inclined to say that buying these speakers with the express extent of using them in conjunction with your HK is a bit of a waste of money/speaker. There is nothing wrong, i am sure, with your HK's performance, it's just the wrong tool for the job. Those big old Kefs deserve/require nothing but top flight amplification.
    Just MHO of course.

Steven