1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF 200c - Fast help needed!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by General Skanky, Jul 1, 2001.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Further to my questions in KEF topics below, I've been scouring all the dealers and adverts for KEF Model 100 bargains.
    I've stumbled across the 200 at £349 ex-dem.
    The question is as it'll be a 'fast buy' if it's still available, without ever having heard it, at £349, should I snap it up???????????????
    I won't be devastated if I miss it, however, I know a good deal when I see one, and this has got to be one!

[ 01-07-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    General

I use a 200c and think it one of the best purchases I made. You will not be disappointed and you know my current KEF feelings. :D

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Evening Nic.

Yes, I'd agree.
    I want to act, but caution is always a good thing.
    I know its reputation, no knocking that.
    I measured my 'under TV gap', and it should fit with about 1cm to spare!!!!! :eek:
    I'm only considering it as at £349 it'd be cheaper than a new model 100!
    Why pass it up?
    I know it'd be better than my Q15's, but so what? It should be a steal.
    And before anyone says anything, the wife has already said, 'No way I can use it as an excuse to upgrade the rest!' :(.
    A few new clothes her way may well change that. :D

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I also have the 200c and have to say the dialog comes across with absolute transparency, it sounds better than the local cinema. You'll never regret buying it especialy at that price, go for it. :D

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    General

I have some Q15s around at home that I have been experimenting with. The 200c works well with them. The match isn't terrible but not as good as another Ref KEF (treble). It will be very much better than a speaker from any other manufacturer however. There is a small change in 'character' bewteen Q, Ref and THX ranges whilst retain much family simularity.

Don't forget that the centre is the most important channel in Home Cinema and most people make do with second best. I think more money should be spent on C than is currently the norm.

On a real long term thing, hopefully the wife will forget her comments and the Q15 can be 'retired' to rear duties for an upgrade

:D :D

Buy and enjoy. The hardest bit is usually fitting the 200c somewhere and you have that one cracked with a 1cm to spare!

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot comment on the tonal matching issues but a while back i too was in the market for a new center, at this point i would like to add that at no time was the cost an issue in my decision. My local Panasonic!!! center had both the Kef TDM 23c THX and the 200c in auditioning both on the shop's Yammy A1 !! i thought the 200 was a great center,i think that the bass response was good but not really any better than the TDM (they use more or less the same size l.f drivers) and both only respond sensibly to 70-80(ish) hz anyway (small). Also the the mid was delightful but in all honesty i thought (and bought, call me a philistine) the TDM was simple a better vocal orientated "center" speaker, the main attribute i felt it had over the 200c was that (a thx design) no matter how loud you play it - it's tonal signature simply doesn't change one jot - Fantastic. I thought that the 200c (and the 100c) changed it's sound quite dramatically as the volume got "loud" this may have been the amp but was not so with the TDM. I have the thing on the end of a 250watt Denon monoblock and i am still simply thrilled with it (that is saying something as i thought i was becoming a bit jaded after so many years of listening and buying!)
    Absolutely worth at the very least a serious demo.

SteveEX

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    SteveEX

I wouldn't disagree with anything you have written. The THX speaker range is stunning, allbeit slow in coming. :D

Not everyone buys into THX especially with new digital formats but I for one, am a fan. Remember that THX is allot more than just certification and although it is additive you may not see all the benefits without matching THX electronics.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for all the replies. Exactly what I was after.
    I know the limitations of my 80c. A budget model that has done well. However, it's time to put something in there that'll be up to the DD job!

I know just how important the centre is, I'd rate it at no.1 with the sub.

I have been quoted the 100c at £250 new. Good price.
    I would go for the 200, but £350 ex-dem or £550 new, is a bit into the realms of non-happy-wife! :(
    So, in line with what I have, I think(!) that the 100 would be more suitable.
    I'd love the 200, but I'll save that one for the big all-in-one upgrade to something like the THX set up or whatever. I'm just trying not to overdo it at the moment.
    I's easy to buy high quality speakers for a small room, but for now, a decent centre for my room will suffice.

It's an intriguing topic really.
    I blame the Q95c thread, it's got me all in a tiz! :)

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic
    I wholeheartedly agree and can only assume that those who would say a THX product is a needless "badge" simply haven't the experience of just how good home THX can sound. It may well be pricey but for all you none believers just check out reviews of THX spec kit, speakers et all, very rarely do they recieve anything but good reviews, i believe much thought and experience has gone into the THX programme. Another favourite "lnie of twaddle" i often hear is the damning of THX di-poles for rear duties on DD/DTS tracks, many would say - "oh they suck the life out of the surround info", - i again can only assume that either they haven't heard them set up correctly or they simply haven't heard them at all! I use 2 pairs of Kef TDM 34s and they are fabulous in fact i believe that Lucasfilm sound enginner supremo gary Rydstrom (?) has these in his own HC. If they are good enough for him then it's a reasonable bet that he knows a lot more about it than us so in my books thats a "safe" bet.

Just MHO of course

SteveEX

I honestly think that cost issues aside THX only strives to bring us quality HC.

10. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm glad the TDM 23c is rated over the 200c as I've just bought one. Slowly trying to put the package together a bit at a time. Now I just need the L,R and rears! Still have yet to find them at a good price though :(

Cheers Rob.