1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 200c and Denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RoyBad, Jun 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. RoyBad

RoyBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I hope I'm not asking a stupid question but ....

I just got a Kef 200c .. (btw, it rocks) and am about to buy a Denon 3803 - I am still building the rest of the system around these..
    When hooking it up, I realised that the 200c has 4 ohms impedence and looking at the specs on Denon, the 3803 (and most amps I've seen) present 8ohms.. How do people get around this? Does the 200c trick the amp by looking like two 4 ohm components in series ... (see, my GCSE physics WAS useful!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Also, what would YOU buy for the fronts, sides and rears... I've got the Velux VX-10 as the sub already from the Powerbuy section.

Thanks guys!!
    Roy

(um.. mr.moderator, I hope I've put this in the right forum - I tossed a coin to decide whether to put it here or in the Speaker section)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

What are you currently running the Kef with? The Denon 3803 will drive 4 ohm speakers BUT you really need a beefier amp to get the best out of the Kef. At average levels the 3803 will be ok but if you want to start running at reference levels then it will be straining, especially if you have speakers that match the 200c i.e Kef Reference 1.2, 2.2 etc.

The Kef 200c needs to driven at the very least by a Denon A1SE/SR or seperate power amps if you want it to perform to it's best. :)

3. RoyBad

RoyBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plugged the 200c into a little yamaha amp - and replaced a mission 77c center.

My friends also recommended a "real" amp. The only problem is the cost... everything starts getting expensive really really quickly.

I started off being really displeased with the mission center, and I've ended up re-doing almost everything.

I'll look out in the classified for any "real" amps

:smashin:

Roy

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Keep an eye out for something like a Denon A10SE (no Pro-Logic 2 though), older model but would drive the Kef pretty well and they can be got for around 500 quid. If you're lucky you might find an A11SR, basically the A10SE replacement, again that would work well. Ideally you would be looking at the flagship amps (A1SE/SR) but they are more expensive.

If your Yamaha has Pre-Outs for all it's main channels then you could add a five channel power amp such as the Rotel RMB1075.:)

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Kef 200 as well- very nice!! ::D

I plugged it into the left output (75W) on a Yamaha amp- it sounded awful- it looked like the amp was struggling. I used it for about 5 mins at low volume and that's it. I didn't fancy a toasted £700 speaker.

Replaced with a Arcam Alpha 8P- that was OK. Now with a Audiolab 8000PX (biamping the 200) MUCH better.

I would recommend not even using a AV amp... get a seperate 2 high quality, highish output 2 channel poweramp, 75W + etc.

My biggest sound improvement was defently the Kef 200- previous centre was the B&W CC6 "PA-Boom-box" thing.:laugh:

6. RoyBad

RoyBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see the problem? ...
    I break my bank and get the coolest center I've seen .... ok, there ARE loads better.... but they're soooo expensive.
    Now I've gotto go to a whole new level for the amp..

c'est la vie.... but it sure is fun!:devil:

and I havent even looked at the Kef reference main speakers.....

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    If you want to get better for not too much money (amp wise) try looking for a Rotel RB970 or 971 ... should power the Kef 200 better than your Yamaha - especially if you bi amp it - and should only cost you £70-£100 - even on ebay.

Of course if you're looking to get KEF Refs for the front 3 then might be more economical to look for something like a Rotel RB985 (MkII is slightly better than a MkI) - which sell for around £300 - £400 - as you'll need better than your Yamaha to power those too.

Other options for power amps (for the centre primarily) would be Audiolab as Nathan meantioned, Arcam, Cyrus and then a big step up to stuff like Parasound, then onto Bryston and Krell - but the Rotel option will undoubtedly be the cheepest.

Vikki

8. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another option would be to use something like a NAD C350 to Bi-amp the speaker and run it from the AV amps pre outs as a power amp (main in).
    You could use one of these per speaker.
    Kind of expensive but cheap compared to your other options.
    Nad amps are great at driving low impedance loads.
    KEF use them (amongst others) in thier lab!

9. RoyBad

RoyBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the help guys - I'll investigate all the options :clap:

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a Celestion A4c (which presents a similar load to the Kef 200c) and a 3801.....it is not a happy combination and the Denon's protection circuitry kicks in if you try to drive it at a decent level - amp shuts down.

If you haven't bought a 3803 yet I would look for something better rather than adding another power amp to it - used A1SEs are about a grand and a hell of a lot better.

Anyone want a 3801?!?.......I'll offload it on ebay....

Cheers
    Rob.