1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef 2005 vs. wallmounts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sapkan, Sep 13, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am moving into a new flat and have a chance to plan a home cinema system in advance. Dont want big boxes but want decent stereo + excellent home cinema sound. Have been considering the KEF 2005 system in 7.1 form as it seems to be the best in its class. People have suggested though that they might not be able to fill the room with sound as it is quite big -40sqm and have pointed me to wallmount speakers, something I never considered before.

I have been searching on the topic for a few days and have discovered that B&W (quite a range) also Monitor Audio and JMLabs all do them. In all cases this option will work out dearer than the Kefs but to me the sonic performance is more important.

If anyone has any experience with wall mounts and knows of their sonic abilities compared to quality sub/sats like the kefs, sib/cub etc. please advice me.

2. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I would go for the Monitor Audio Radius range, they are simply stunning!! :thumbsup:

I recently replaced my kef 2005.2 egg package with some R270 fronts and a R225 center and the difference is amazing. Don't get me wrong i was reasonably happy with the performance of the egg package for movies but for two channel music they are not great.
    I am still using my eggs for rear usage and still have the sub but the difference in the front soundstage and quality is amazing. If you want to wallmount i would go for either three R180's or three R225's but if you can get away with some floorstanders give the R270's a listen you won't be disappointed.

:smashin:

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Any idea if you can stand mount the R225's??

4. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    fuzzybee,

sorry my English failed me I meant in-wall speakers. Any experience with such?

Now that I have checked out the monitor audio items anyway I quite like them. The sub spec seems a bit weedy though 100 watts? How does it compare to the kef 2005 sub? think the latter was twice as powerful at 200w

5. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Sapkan, You should have a listen and a look at the Canton CD Series. Good looking,all mountable, which they come with the accessaries, and they sound better than the Kefs and can fill a room much bigger than yours. Aswell as the packages - CD1, 2.22 and the 2.45 you can mix and match them. you can have three CD50's up front and a pair of CD10's at the rear. Or you can go bigger with the 300 range which are awsome.

Have a look on our site.

regards

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Not to sure on that one, i know they are releasing some stands for the R90's maybe they will also be able to take a R225 ??

Sapkan

I am still using my kef sub from the 2005.2 package and it works very well indeed with the R270's and R225 which i am running aswell as three eggs for rear usage.
    When i demoed the Monitor Audio speakers in Sevenoakes they were running the R360 sub and it sounded great alongside the other Radius speakers so from the demo the sub was fine.As for inwall speakers sorry mate i have no idea or experience of that one :lesson: