1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF 2005 Centre speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve Amos, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just updated my home cinema system with the following, KEF 2005.2, Pioneer AX3 and a Pioneer 565 DVD. Generally I’m quite impressed but the dialogue from the KEF centre speaker sounds weak and lacks presence.

My previous system used Tannoy M series speakers all round, which I still have. So I’ve replaced the centre with the Tannoy MC centre speaker and things sound a lot better, but I’m now not sure if the Tannoy centre matches that well with the KEF’s.

Is it worth getting a KEF centre to match the 2005 sats? Eg. KEF Coda 80 or should I stick with the Tannoy?

Also, my system is currently using fairly cheap speaker cable (bundled with the amp from creative audio). If I upgrade the cable will I notice any difference?

Thanks

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would consider a Kef Q95 or Model 100, as these will match better than the Tannoy, and sound better (although outlass the Eggs)

I also found a Egg to be below average for centre duties, a bit coloured and lacking in midrange & naturality. IMO Kef Eggs for L/R/Rears are just about OK, but nothing brilliant- ok for a bedroom or a PC system.

But I guess comparing to my Kef Reference system (or 5 x Q15's) I'm not going to think much of the Eggs. Good for price, but if you want a better sounding system- look for a higher end setup.

3. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I would love to go with bigger speakers all round, but the upgrade was based on me selling it to the wife as a more visually appealing system and she hates large speakers. I can get away with a larger centre speaker as the TV unit is a fair size and the speaker can sit on a shelf directly below the TV.

After searching through the forum and Google the Q95 and especially the Model 100 seem to get great reviews, but I'm not too impressed with the looks (only seen pics online).

Can anyone comment on how suitable the Q9c will be with the Eggs, as visually it appears to look great.

4. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    After speaking on the phone today with Ben, you might want to wait for the new KHT5005 speaker or KHT 9000ACE speakers.

Both will offer "more" than the eggs, and can be mix and matched with other KHTs, perhaps with the eggs on rear duties.

Both ranges out end October.

Tom.

5. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice.

I've got a Q9c to try over the weekend and if it sounds good I'll probably buy one. But if I still have problems I might wait and see what the 5005 and 9000ace turn out like.