1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 2005.2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pete Delaney, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got the mk2 kef eggs? The reviews on the package I have read sound good, just wondering if anyone has the 2005.2 as I am tempted to go for this space saving setup. However, don't want to buy the speakers if they can't produce an all round 'audiophile' performance.

Thanks for any input,
    Pete.:smashin:

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I have them and they sound fantastic, I would heartily recommend them to anyone.
    Where have you read the reviews?

3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a review written on the,www.creative-audio.co.uk. website. I realise that this is a HiFi shop so they may write them up well in-order to create sales, but it seems a pretty honest account. I also read a review of the old mk1 eggs on HCCO review page, just to give me a flavour of how good they were prior to the mk2s coming out. Finally I visited the Kef website, more for the pics and technical data as I knew their review would obviously be biased.
    You say they sound great, can you expand a little more? ie, how do you think they stand up against floorstanders etc, do you think that their size leads to a performance (audiophile) compromise?
    I expect there are lots of people waitng for the more 'independant', HiFi mag reviews but any other tidbits would keep our interest until then!:D

Thanks in anticipation
    Pete:smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

PS Anyone found them for under£649 yet:rolleyes:

4. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I actually bought them from creative audio.
    As to how they sound, well I only have a small room and could not compare how they sound against floorstanders as I've never had any. I have had other sub sat packages and they wiped the floor with them.
    I use them with an rel quake sub and they amount of sound that the set up shifts is quite impressive.
    The best way to describe it is a very natural and unforced sound.
    I find I can listen to my set up at much higher levels now than before and the sound is much cleaner.
    Sorry if I'm not very clear!

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply:smashin:
    But why did you change the sub? I thought the new Kef sub was much improved? Or did you just buy the pod speakers?:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Pete..

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I just bought the pods, I love my sub and have no intention of changing it.

7. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gingerone, i'll stop the interogation now...you're free to go, but i'll hang on to your passport and I will need to know if you want to leave town!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Ok officer!!

9. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had mine for 2 weeks now and love them. I used to have large Monitor Audio floorstanders along with Mission centre and rears. We have totally re-decorated and the lure of small modern speakers was too much to ignore. Sure the Monitor Audio's have a purer sound in a direct comparison, but the "eggs" are sill very hi-fi in their rendition of music and superior in my opinion as a home cinema set-up (probably due to their better match tonally). The bass from the sub-woofer is also phenomenal for its size and the whole kit looks great in the room (=happy wife!)

10. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Thanks Phil, I'm converted!!! It's the Kefs for me too!!:D :D
    Let's face it Monitor Audios or Audio Monitors (which ever) are fine speakers by anyones standard (I have 2 studio 5 bookshelfs as rears). So for the Kefs to stand up so well to them as movie speakers is OUTSTANDING!:eek: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PS I LOVE these smiley icons!!!!: :)

11. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar debate recently and demo'd the following:

Kef MK1 &2
    B&W VM1's.

The Kef MK2's were a big improvement over the MK1 in almost every area. Much clearer and way better base.

I ended up going for the VM1's with a ASW675 sub which did sound way better but it was twice the price??

TBH I got a big bonus from work and had I not gotten that I would definately have gone for the MK2's!!

12. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was aware of the superiority of the VM1s' over the version 1 eggs but their size (especially on the dedicated stands) made them a definite no- no. There are many conventional box designs not much bigger than the VM1's that would give them a run for their money IMO. The "eggs" just blend into the room so much better. Regards Phil.

13. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was not putting the eggs down at all, in fact if you read my post I said 'TBH I got a big bonus from work and had I not gotten that I would definately have gone for the MK2's!!' I had made my decision to go for the eggs until I got my payslip and there was an unexpected bonus.

It is the law of dinishing returns and the VM1 package I got is not twice as good as the eggs but you would expect it to be better at twice the price.

14. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VM1s I have seen are advertised at around £850 ish, the cheapest Kef 2005.2 are at the £650 mark. That's not twice the price, hope you didn't pay over the odds for the B&Ws...:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
    Pete:smashin:

Just realised I had not taken the price of your sub into account, that probably makes up the difference?

15. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I can see why you went for the VM1s and don't blame you for it. A few years ago I would have done the same! However priorities are slightly different now and the small size of the eggs won the day. It wasn't a money issue for me, simply that we needed something to look good in the new room without dominating it. I wish the VM1's were smaller but I suppose that is why they sound better. Also I do think the Kef sub looks great and the glass top has its' uses also!

16. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does.

17. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its always a money issue for me!!

For me its a matter of just weighing up the different factors i.e. is it worth spending the extra and if I am spending way more then am I getting sufficient returns etc.

The speakers are wall mounted and once they are up on the wall they look great (even my wife loves them!!). They may not be everyone's cup of tea but for me they sounded great and looked the part. TBH the sub really helped swing things, bloody fantastic bit of kit!!

The thing was it took me months of really painful deciding and every time I thought I knew which way I was going I ended up going another (not bloody easy all this AV purchasing!!). I think you just need to follow you heart!! :blush:

18. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget and choice, reviews, what's coming out next, what it looks like, the ENDLESS research, on the web and through magazines. At the end of it what are you rewarded with..... a headache. I too can talk myself in circles. I am looking for a complete home cinema upgrade, it will have to be done a bit at a time for finance reasons and in the end will I be truly content with my choices? It's a minefield as there is so much kit to choose from and at the end of the day are the performance differences really so great? The human ear can only discern so much I expect it's like researching the perfect red wine to go with your lamb or beef roast. In the end it's down to personal taste, we all have our opinions, just because joe bloggs writes a rave review in a magazine does not necessarily mean his choice will automatically suit everyone.:zonked: :zonked:

Mr profound...signing off!:suicide:

.....now I wonder if I should stick to floorstanders after all, er, um, err.......aaaaaaarrrgghhhhhhhh:zonked:

19. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoken like a man who knows the pain of the upgrade!!:clap: :clap:

I am almost at the end of my journey!!

GL!!