1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 2005.2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr- Alive, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Mr- Alive

Mr- Alive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, need some advice im going to buy a Denon avr3805; the speakers I was looking at to go with it would be the KEF 2005.2! But I have herd that the speakers are good but the sub is a let down! Quite a few people have had trouble with the sub dieing, so I am kind of hesitating whether or not to get the speaker package or to buy a different speaker package? The KEFS are in my price range so they are ideal, but if the sub is going to die on me then that going to be a pain up the arse! As I have seen a package deal for £1440 for the denon 3805 + Kef 2005.2 + 35m 79 strand speaker cable + 5m Subwoofer cable + 1m Digital coaxial lead + 1.5m 2 phono - 2 phono lead + 10 x 4mm plugs + On-Screen menu lead. But this is an online deal so if I had to send it back cause of fault it going to cost £££ in postage.

Should I get the KEFS and try me luck?
    Get Different speakers?
    Or get KEF speakers + Denon 3805 from Sevenoaks hifi at £60 more with out extras for easy return if needs be?

Any suggestions would be grateful

Cheers Andy
    :lease:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    You won't be able to buy these online, at least not from authorised dealers. Kef's dealer contarcts means that you will have to go to the shop in person and pay for them, at which time you can then get them delivered.

It sounds like the deal is from Creative Audio in Shrewsbury - I can confirm that they will ask you to come to their store to order.

3. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    As i understand it the sub on the 2005.2 set up is a big improvement over the original 2005s. The 2005.2 is a sealed sub whereas the 2005s had a ported sub. I used to own the 2005 set up but haven't heard the 2005.2s.

4. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Presumably you are looking at Creative Audio's website?

I don't know about reliability issues, but may I suggest that the Denon AVR3805 is a bit overkill for the Kef 2005s. Unless the 3805 has something you specifically need I'd consider downgrading the receiver (to something like the Denon AVR2105 or Yamaha RX-V650), or upgrading the speakers (Kef 5005 or the 9000ACE).

It might also be worth considering paying extra for quality speaker cable like the QED pack that Creative Audio do.

Regards
    James

-----------------------------------
    edited because i can't spell

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I agree with James, the Denon 3805 is definitely overkill for the Kef eggs. You don't really need anything better than the Denon 2805, better amps than the 2805 will only offer a marginal improvement.

Also, it is worth noting that the eggs are not very good for stereo use - worth considering if music is important to you.

6. Mr- Alive

Mr- Alive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Lads, Yeh it was creative audio never mind!! Sevenoaks it is then. What if I forget about the KEFS, what other makes of speakers would be good?

7. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have KEF eggs,I think they are poor speakers TBH,kept them for rear,they look good,beautifully made,but sonically are not worth it really IMHO.

8. Mr- Alive

Mr- Alive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kinda thinking of giving the kefs a miss now well at least the 2005.2. Has any one tried the Mordaunt Short Genie for interest?

9. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I ask if your looking for out and out sound or lifestyle needs?

10. Mr- Alive

Mr- Alive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well what im looking for is speakers which will give me good sound for everyday watching of TV and listening to the radio, and for movies which include alot of action movies.

I wanted speakers which are small and hang on wall, as my setup at the mo takes up a fair bit of room considering its my bedroom which consists of bed + sofa + computer + 3 Door Wardrobe +big IKEA TV Hifi unit thing. :confused:

11. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bonus with the Kef's is they tonally match the Q-series so you can improve the fronts for music with Qcompacts or Q4s, and maybe the centre for a Q6c.

12. anticlaus105

anticlaus105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am also intersted in the Mordaunt Short Genie's. Would a 3805 be overkill for those also?

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    At one stage, when I was thinking about satellite speakers I was thinking about the Genie's. Great speakers, better than the eggs imo.

I do think the Denon 3805 is overkill, I would have gone for the Denon 2805 if I were buying these. It has slightly less power, no Denon link or funky remote but apart from that it's virtually the same machine. I'd save the £200 if I were you.

14. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

You might consider the Canton CD range, either the Movie CD1 package or even better would be the 2.22 pack, and the 3805 isn't over kill as I have run the CD10 satalites off a Myryad power amp, 150 watts RMS into each, and they loved it. With the 2.22 package, the Denon Canton combo is awsome.

Just a thought

Regards

15. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Forget about the 2005.2 egg package, the eggs make good surround speakers but thats it, however the sub is very good and integrates with my MA Radius speakers very well.

Have a demo of the Monitor Audio radius speakers especially the R270's i challenge anyone to show me a floor standing speaker that looks better in either the black or white finishes, they also sound stunning.
    Matched with a R225 center they offer superb results which i am very happy with, if your after small speakers the R90's are perfect with a R180 center to match them.

I disagree about the Denon 3805 surely the better the amp the more it will get out of any speaker you connect up to it within reason so go for the best amp you can afford, it's the heart of your AV setup so you should go for the best you can.
    Thats my take on it anyway, good luck with what you decide but i urge you or anyone who is in the market for a speaker package to give the MA Radius speakers a demo :thumbsup: (especially the R270's mouthwateringly good)