Kef 2005.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwhitworth

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Interested in the following kit including the subwoofer and the extra 6th speaker.
We currently have the Bose Acoustimass 15 system and wondered if there would really be much difference for the money.

Also, are these speakers both a bit underpowered for the amp being used... (Denon AVC11SR)

Thanks in advance.:clap: :smashin:

The KEF Eggs seem to be very popular both with magazine reviewers and with forum members whiclst anything with that four letter word beginning with the letter B is the exact opposite.

Most speakers will sound better if they are connected to a better amplifier and whilst your proposed speakers and your amp are an unusual combination in terms of imbalance of budget they should work well together.

There is no doubt though that your Denon amp was designed and sold with much more expensive speakers in mind.

adwhitworth

The kef eggs will be a huge difference to the bose system. Well worth every penny unlike the Bose.

As for the rating they should be fine but what is the spec for your amp ?

Thanks for the advice. Sadly we haven't got the amount of money we spent on the Amp to spend on Speakers.

Out of interest, I've been told by one person on another forum that the sub is lacking and another person said they weren't great for music either.

I've also had a look around the FS forum and there seems to be a lot for sale which is slightly worrying. Is this just because they aren't that great or do people just sell stuff very quickly.

Does anyone else have any suggestions.:smashin:

Originally posted by adwhitworth
Out of interest, I've been told by one person on another forum that the sub is lacking and another person said they weren't great for music either.

No small satellites are really good with music but the eggs are no worse than most others. You will find that for everyone that says they aren't very good with music another two say that they are happy with the Eggs performance.

There is nothing wrong with the subwoofer either. There were some complaints about the sub with the original eggs being a little weedy but the performance on this one has been ramped up.

I ssume that it is your intention to listen to them anyway before parting with your cash.

Definately...There is no way we are spending £800 on speakers we haven't listened to.:rotfl:

What would be an alternative just out of interest for comparison in a similar budget. Could be slightly more but not much.

demo, demo, demo!:lesson:

I chose Bose despite reading up on the bad reviews, after an a/b comparison with the Kef eggs over a year ago.

My ears prefered the Bose speakers and I have been very happy with them since.

Ask yourself why you want to change (Bose bashers please don't jump at this!:smashin: )

Is it higher quality, have you listened to something that is closer to what you want.

No satelite will sound better than good quality conventional speakers, so have have you considered them too! However no floorstander will compare with my wife's need for space in the living room!

What would be an alternative just out of interest for comparison in a similar budget.

JM Labs Sib & Cub setup can be bought for £649 here whilst Infinity Oreus and the B&W VM series are worth a listen as is the Monitor Audio radius system which will cost a little more.

also in a different league but a little more is kef 5005 for around £1100.

As for Bose sorry alancolledge i'm allowed to bose bash being a x owner. I had the AM10 I brought without even demoing and was happy unill I heard other speakers that just blew my bose away and the worst thing was they equal\lower priced. I just had to get rid of the bose and upgrade....

I have just done the same.
I have upgraded from my BOSE AM15 system this weekend, the change in sound is amazing, even my wife could tell :eek:
You will not regret changing; BOSE is really just expensive marketing, but a poor product. Take a look at http://www.intellexual.net/bose.htm
Upgrade now:clap:
BTW People who cannot tell the difference must be deaf
:rotfl:

Well we've decided to go and look at the Kef's from

www.creative-audio.co.uk

We'll need some new cable anyway. Plus they do part exchanges:D which will help. Saves selling them.

Has anyone brought from these as they sound as though they know they're stuff.:lesson: :laugh:

If you own Bose, you will go and see other speakers and listen to them

And at the end of the day you will keep your Bose system because the other speaker packages either sound the same or sound worse

I've been through this and I still have my Bose

I go to all the shows and listen to all the new speakers coming out and I am still happy with the Bose AM15

Has anyone brought from these as they sound as though they know they're stuff.

A large number of forum members have made the trek to darkest Shropshire to buy from them. Whilst you are there try and listen to the JM Labs Sib & Cub package as an alternative.

Thanks Ian:)

Going to give them a ring in a min to see if they have any black ones in stock since Silver really won't go with the living room.:)

YAY. They have some black ones in stock and have them on Demo.:D

Definately...There is no way we are spending £800 on speakers we haven't listened to.:rotfl:

What would be an alternative just out of interest for comparison in a similar budget. Could be slightly more but not much.

£800.... and to think I paid little over £600 for mine before Kef forced retailers to ramp the price up

i had a demo on the eggs....to be honest i didn't think much of them.

Me too I wanted a set to replace my am15's in the bedroom and didn't think they sounded very good, but yet again I am irrelevant.:D

I went for the Eggs after having listened to a number of Sub/Sat systems at the Bristol show and also comparing them with the MA Radius at 7oaks.

They are absolutely fantastic for my needs particularly as I only need them for movies because I have a separate HiFi system

seeing as you didn't shoot down the idea of full size speakers, (as far as i noticed) Acoustic energy evo 3, 1, centre and sub is less than £700 for the pack at some shops!!

Wahoo. Back from Creative Audio with a Black 6.1 Kef Setup, a stand and all the lovely speaker cabling. :D

Install day is either tomorrow or monday. We've got to get the floor up. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom