1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 2005.2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MTJ, Nov 3, 2003.

1. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies up front if this a dumb question!

Have just bought a set of the eggs to go with my soon to arrive plasma (Pioneer 434) and AV amp (Pioneer 501).

Have plugged 2 of the eggs into my existing stereo amp, and to be honest, they do not sound very good at all. In fact so poor I am tempted to box them up and return them. Sound is very 'tinny'. Have also tried adding the sub driven from the tape line out but this produces a headache inducing thump (I know they are a pain to setup so have lots of tweaking to do).

My question is this: Do they need to be driven by a proper AV amp to get the best out of them? Is there something in the output of AV amps that boosts certain frequencies etc?

Have seen so many rave reviews and awards on these speakers that I can't beleive they are as bad as they currently sound!

Thanks.

2. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the eggs with a Denon AVR2803 and they sound excellent.

3. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how the crossover is being handled if you're plugging them directly in to the tape output. Also, isn't the line output of the tape constant, rather than related to the overall volume control?

I would wait until you have an AV amp to compare. I've got the 2002KHTs and they sound great, using a Yammy 5640 and for music input an Arcam Alpha 5.

Mark.

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    The eggs will definitely sound tinny when plugged into a stereo only amp. They are not full range speakers and rely totally on the sub to back them up in the bass department.

Chris

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi mtj
    You also need to be careful as the eggs are only capable down to 80hz and you are sending a full signal to them which could damage them.
    When connected to a av amp and the crossover set to 80hz they will sound much better the amp will send the rest to the sub this is how the egg system is meant to work not what you are doing
    so stop messing with them till you get a propper av amp or you may well end up with a knackered egg system.
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone.

Will wait and see what they are like with the new amp at the weekend.

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

Just in case anyones interested i've seen these little eggs in white. They are the install version aparently and they look very very nice... kinda disappear into the wall.

S.

8. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can run 2 eggs off a stereo amp but you should connect them via the sub. There are connections on the sub especially for this. Have a check of your speaker setup instructions for options, but basically, there is a set of line in line out connections on the back of the sub. Connect line out of amp to line in on sub, then Hi pass line out to each egg. The sub will then handle the crossover. It should sound pretty good. Position the sub in the middle of the eggs and have the eggs mounted normal speaker height.

The eggs do sound a little better slightly away from the wall eg) on dedicated stands (which are available) rather than using integral wall mount. I should say that my walls are only dry lined and are not the most sturdy so this may well have an impact and having said that, out sheer convenience, I have mounted mine on the wall. Only the centre speaker is on the stand which I move out in front of the big screen when I've got the PJ on.

Cheers

Croc