1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF 2005.2 - Where is the detailed, open and rich sound? (please read)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by arnthelene, Jul 1, 2004.

1. arnthelene

arnthelene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this set of speakers a few weeks ago. I owned a set og Mourdant Short (floorstanders front + satelittes + sub) which I had to sell because of my wifes new furniture. :) I bought the KEF's because I liked the sound from them and because of the looks.

BUT; I do not get any good sound out of them... The sound does not come out alive, but stayes inside the satelittes - sort of.... I had to go up to -15db to get any desent sound out of them with my Marantz SR7200. Still I miss the details and rich sound I heard when I demoed them. I use good cables - SUPRA - beetween the receiver and the speakers and a SUPRA digital coax beetween the DVD player and receiver. The sound was much better with my old set up. I have only changed the speakers - the other components are the same as befor. -20db was more than enough with my Mourdant Short's. As a DVD-player I use an old LG who was very good in its time. I am waiting on a Pioneer DV-575 which I hope shall do wonders......

Is there anybody who have a clue to what I shall do to improve the sound? Is the new speakers damaged or is there anyting I can do with the set up?

Pardon my english - I'm an norwegian :)

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It's quite likely that you will need a higher volume level for an equivalent volume - no two speakers have the same efficiency, and small cabinets are often less efficient than large ones. You may need to make adjustments to the amplifier setup to re-equalise the relative volumes of the front L & R to restore your overall balance.

As for the rest of your subjective evaluation - difficult to know. They may need to be "run in" i.e. used for a time, before they will give of their best. The shop demo set had probably seen some use.

Room acoustics also play a major part in the sound experience, and you may find you can improve things by repositioning them.

3. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good Sub,would be a help.

4. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mark 2 Eggs certainly sound better after a good run in (the sub especially) - they can sound rather 'closed in' when first being used but I noticed the sound opens far more after some time.

5. arnthelene

arnthelene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very pleased with the sub in this set....

6. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Presumably you changed the settings on your amp from 'Large speakers' to 'Small/sattelite speakers'?

Gary A

7. Arnt Andersrod

Arnt Andersrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course :) All the satelittes are set to small.

8. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Funnily enough, I just got around to merging my hi fi and home cinema systems which meant replacing an old pair of Mordaunt Shorts with MkI Eggs. I immediately found I needed LESS power to get the same level of sound from the Eggs and they certainly sound open, detailed, etc. The key, I would guess, is that my Eggs are 18 months old and have had lots of use. I reckon yours will start to live up to their reputation after a couple of weeks of regular use. Let us know!