1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF 2005.2 - Sub Connection Question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by petertully, Sep 11, 2003.

1. petertully

petertully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got hold of some of these beauties and am trying to figure out what's the best way to connect to my amp - via a y-connector or just a single co-axial.

Anyone KEF owners out there offer any advice as to the best interconnect method/brand?

Cheers in advance

2. blast

blast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your amp has twin phonos for the subwoofer output so the simplest way would be to use a standard 2-2 phono to feed both inputs on the sub.

You could use a 1-1 phono with a Y splitter as a more discrete alternative with much the same performance.

Ixos and QED make a variety of cables depending on budget etc..

Using a 1-1 phono into the sub will also work fine, though output from the sub would be about 6db less than using the methods above.

3. petertully

petertully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that 'blast'. I've actually just changed amps and I'm awaiting delivery of a spanking new Pioneer VSX-AX3. I think this will also be OK for the twin RCA setup you mention.

Thanks a lot for your post!

All the best

4. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I see you have the Sony DB940 amp, if it's anything like the Sony STRDB925 amp i used to have it also had two phono sockets for subwoofer connection.
    However it was for connection of two different subs to the amp and i suspect your amp is the same.
    I am also in the process of installing this stunning speaker package, if you read the manual it states what you need to do, my amp(Yamaha RXV730) has a single sub connection which needs to be connected to the Line In Left on the back of the kEF PSW2010.
    The reason the kEF sub has Line in L/R and High pass Output L/R is for connection to a PreAmplifier and Power Amplifier.
    From your AV list this doesn't apply to you so all you need to do is connect the sub to your amp the same way i have with a single phono to phono cable.
    I am using a IXOS 5m sub cable bought about two years ago for £25 fron Superfi, the extra length gives you options where to position the sub.
    Are you wallmounting your speakers ?? i have wallmounted my rears but cannot decide whether to do the same with the fronts or buy the loverly looking stands.
    They are going to partner a wallmounted Hitachi plasma so wallmounting my fronts may be my best option, however the eggs on the stands look fantastic and it would be far easier to hide the speaker cable.

Decisions Decisions !!