1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 2005.2 review

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pete Delaney, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "It's one of those sounds that raises eyebrows simply because it's so convincing, refined and composed: your ears believe that you're listening to large speakers, even if your eyes tell you quite the opposite. And that means good news with music as well as movies. Thorough revisions to an already effective system mean that the new KHT 2005.2 is even more of a bargain. A must hear!"
    WHAT HI-FI AUGUST 2003 ISSUE

These are selling at £650 from http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/ looks like these may take the crown back from B&W VM1s in this category! I am tempted to go for it, the sub is completely revamped and much better than the old Kef set-up...here's the spec:

The sub-woofer is now a sealed box enclosure - the large port system used on the Mk1 has completely disappeared. Radical and a huge improvment if you like really tight bass!

The sub-woofer's driver has been upgraded to an all-new, long throw, 10 inch unit in favour of the old 8 inch cone. Gives much better bass weight and dynamic 'slam'!

The 250W amp has 10dB more output at 30Hz compared to the MK1. Doesn't sound much, but any technical boffin will tell you it's a huge increase over the Mk1's performance.

There is a switch on the back of the sub, which allows the customer to optimise bass output for either 'music' or 'cinema' applications. (Tighter bass for music, full-blooded bass for Cinema).

The sub has a 'ground lift' switch to get rid of the annoying hums that plague some Home Cinema systems. (If you have a Mk1 KHT and are experiencing bad hum, give us a ring and we'll tell you about our recommended 'fix' {it's free!}).

The sub also has a 'variable slope' switch to aid sub/sat integration in a variety of domestic situations.

The sub is now colour co-ordinated to match the satellites - very smart!

The satellites themselves have a completely new tweeter, which has been 'borrowed' from KEF's luxury Q Range speakers. This is a 19mm metal dome unit, with a frequency response right up to 27kHz - should keep the neighbourhood bats happy!

The satellites now boast a new stream-lined twin neodymium magnet system. This is far less bulky than the magnet used on the old Mk1s, which increases the usable internal volume of the satellite, giving it more bass extension.

The design of the port system on the satellite has been revised to give a less turbulent air flow and an increase in bass output.

The satellites' crossover has been completely re-worked, utilising low loss capacitors and air-cored inductors to give improved power handling and reduced distortion. The new 19mm tweeter is also Ferrofluid cooled to make the eggs even more 'bullet proof'!

The foot of the 'eggs' has been improved. It now has a cable management slot - much neater!

And……….(just so that your friends know you've got the new improved version) KEF have subtlely changed the MK2's colour to a very smart new 'white silver' finish, which really does look stunning. A perfect match for modern TVs. What's more, the eggs can be bought as separate pairs for stereo applications around the house - they look really good in kitchens that have stainless steel appliances!

:D :D

V tempted,
    Posted for general info..:smashin:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm sure that they are very nice although not in the same league as Celestion A series that you have been deliberating over

3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know...i'm one confused puppy. To make it worse, the wife has started to get involved!:zonked:

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ****?

:)

5. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm delighted with mine. Sure they are not in the same league as some of their much larger bretherin but they have all the elements required for musicality and cinema oomph, provided you have good sources. I have just started using them in stereo as well with my Linn/Naim system and find nothing lacking in overall enjoyment factor. They look so damn good our newly decorated room too!

6. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know... I guess enjoyment factor is the crunch for me. Ian is obviously correct about the quality of the Celestions, but, if you don't get the kit to go with them, you will not get the sound. It must be like trying to run a Rolls Royce on vegetable oil! Next year I shall enter the world of plasma and will get a suitable reciever and dvd player to ensure I get a good piccy and no lip synch probs. That means the only thing I can upgrade right now are my speakers which are showing their age. My AE120 fronts are a bit boomy on low bass when listening to music. My home pc has a audigy souncard and cheap Cambridge soundworks speakers, but the sound is very enjoyable. So from fifty quid to five thousand you can get something that's pleasing. The Kefs, unlike my audio monitors and AE speakers are perfectly tonally matched and now come with a good sub (I don't have a sub). Plus at £650 they are in my budget (guess i'm talking myself into these Ian). Plus I do think my sound set-up will be noticeably improved, so for me they are a winner... plus these space savers look the biz!:D :D

7. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    demo'd these about 2 months ago and I must say they were a vast improvement over the MK1's.

Caused me massive problems as I had decided on the MK2's before hearing the B&W VM1's partnered with the ASW675 and eneded up spending the extra.

Bloody close thing though!!

8. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    VM1's may have the edge but don't forget they are quite a bit bigger than the eggs.

9. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have found out that you can't mail order Kef equipment! Is someone trying to tell me something? I know what i'll do i'll get those new 'Audio-MorandissionestionA12005.2Vms', i've been hearing so much about!:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It's KEF's attempt to control the prices of their products. It's a shame that everyone that intended to buy this product but wasn't happy with these tactics didn't buy something else and contact KEF to tell them the reason that they didn't buy KEF eggs.

I wouldn't buy any product where the manufacturer placed artificial barriers to sale as it's a throwback to less enlightened days that we are supposed to have left behind.

11. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's put me right off Ian...I live a good 3 hrs from Creative Audio, the shop that has the offer on, so for the time being these speakers are off the menu. It's a shame as I had the blessing of her indoors and was looking forwards to the retail therapy!

I know I keep doing right turns on what I am going to plump for but I've heard good things about the aegis 3b package, which is also in my price range. I may go for those, I know they are a lot tighter on bass control and should not start booming on low bass music like my AE120s do (it's 'orrid when they do that, I feel like putting them on the skip).:mad:

Plus the light maple colour of the aegis set-up looks wife friendly.:)

12. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I emailed Kef Support and asked about the relative merits of the new 2005.2 Sub (which What Hi-fi raved about) compared to the PSW3000 I've got. This was the reply:

Dear Sir,

The PSW3000 is far superior to the PSW2010.
    It uses a 300wrms class D amplifier and long throw unit with cast basket in
    a large reflex enclosure.
    This equals big air movement, lower frequencies and high SPL.

In comparison, the PSW2010 uses a much lighter bass driver (with about half
    the excursion of the PSW3000 unit) in a closed box.
    The Cabinet volume is also less than the PSW3000.
    We used an active eq in the pre amp to increase low frequency output.
    The PSW3000 uses a large port for this.

For out and out performance, the PSW3000 wins easily.
    The PSW2010 was designed to provide clean, deep, trouble free output with
    the satellite speakers, anywhere in the room.

The PSW3000 is a little trickier to set up with the HTS2001 satellites, but
    it is worth the effort!

Best Regards

Ben Pettit

KEF AUDIO (UK)

Now, the PSW3000 is a cracking sub and it is natural that Kef would recommend a bigger Sub from their own range over the stock unit, but I'd read between the lines and say that the PSW2010 can easily be improved upon!

Big A

13. martinmunt

martinmunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Ian,

I would like to respond to your comment regarding the KEF's policy toward internet and mail order.

Contrary to your statement it is not to do with price fixing as you suggest, this can be seen from Creative Audios offer.

What we have found from the majority of our dealers, is a lot of frustration at internet companies springing up and offering product at a price they cannot compete with.

Worse still were people using dealers for demonstrations and then making the purchase elsewhere - a practice that would not benefit anybody long term

KEF dealers are a vital part of our business; they participate in continual training and help ensure that:

Customers are happy with whatever product they buy.
    That the product is set up correctly
    Product is correct for the customers equipment and home environment
    As well as providing a service and support network for customers

In the past we have had many complaints about the conduct of internet companies and it becomes increasingly difficult to support our customers to the level we feel appropriate.

It is important to understand that whilst the majority of people participating on the forum have high level of understanding of A/V equipment, most people do not and need the advice of a dealer.

In order to purchase kit that is going to become the centre piece of your home entertainment a short time going to visit a dealer should ensure many future happy ones!

I hope this gives everyone some understanding to any frustrations they may have.

14. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that choice was the consumers perrogative. This statement is b*****ks.

I had no choice but to use my local dealer even though they wouldn't price match. Why? I already had the mk1's and the holes were drilled to spec.:rolleyes:

15. Sven_DP

Sven_DP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't speak for the UK, but when I see Belgian stores selling KEF equipment at prices almost double to most of the German prices, I would say that these stores have a problem with their business model.

Thanks, but I don't need any setup advice for a bunch of satellites. Whenever I need advice I am willing to pay the appropriate price at that moment.

All I expect is a decent warranty policy which is acceptable within existing EC trade regulations. The KEF Warranty conditions clearly don't fit this category :

- Warranty only applies to the first customer. No court will ever honour a clause like that, so why bother to put it there in the first place?
    - Warranty is only valid in the country of purchase. What is this? Is KEF trying to imitate Vokswagen which has had the pleasure of getting to know better the European Commission (even twice)? This is 2003 and within the EC clauses like this are ridiculous and above all illegal. Again no judge will ever accept this.

The A/V business is clearly not as mature as the ICT business. When I want material, I will buy it, when I want services or consultancy I will pay for it. I hate it when these two things get mixed up in a non-transparent way.

Because English is only my third language, I hope I expressed myself clearly. So, please don't see this as a personal attack of some sort, but I found this little Warranty paper inside the KEF boxes rather shocking.

16. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    still, you can't say its fair though can you? how do you know that the dealer hasn't turned away another customer because you are using the facilities and potentially lost a sale, all the time you have no intention of making buying the speakers!!! a very selfish act in my opinion

17. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear what you are saying but why the hell shouldnt we have access to pricing like the £650 that creative audio are selling at? They have all the usual advice/facilities etc but are £200 cheaper than my local Audio T and Sevenoaks. This £200 is pure extra margin and according to creative they can still sell at £650 and make good margin levels!

Maybe its time to shake things up a bit and stop the consumer getting ripped off!!

I will only buy from one of my local dealers because every time I walk through the door of the other one they try and rip me off and give me crap advice! I get the feeling that rather than being 'your local friendly neighbourhood dealer' these guys sell whatever makes them more margin and will not always do the right thing.

I get advice off forums, listen at dealers and buy where I can get good pricing! If I feel that a dealers is doing the right thing by me then usind them and their fascilities is worth 5-10% extra but not 30% (as in the above example!).

18. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    L I live in West London and drove to Creative Audio on a Saturday morning (2.5 hours) to get the Eggs plus a 2011 Amp and a 656 DVD player. Why? Well:-

1) The price - I asked Sevenoaks to try and price match Creative on the whole caboodle and they not only scoffed, but tried so hard to sell me a Denon 3803 that I wondered if they had excess stock they couldn't shift. I know a bit about audio, so wasn't phased by them but, to a beginner, they could've been bullied into purchases by a sharp-talking, pushy sales guy.

2) Attitude - CA really wanted to help. They responded to e-mails at 10.30 pm, they provided a fantastic quick start guide (which they wrote) to help me set up my system and were willing to spend long periods on the phone with me before I made my purchase decision.

3) CA are a real shop, with real service that competes at internet retailer prices and the combination was too good to miss.

Sure - If something blows up I've got to get it back to them but, and I say this without experience yet, I believe they would do their utmost to look after me.

I don't believe the crap about supporting your local dealer. If your local dealer stinks, as mine did, I chose to go 200 miles to one that built up some trust. To be honest, it wasn't a big deal and I was home setting up the kit at 1pm.

Oh, and it sounds absolutely amazing, even with terretrial TV broadcasts being processed in PL2. It's causing me many late nights as I rediscover the joys of my DVD collection all over again.

BUT - I still think Kefs policy stinks!

19. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Audio T will match this price if you ask them.

20. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried and they wouldnt. They were very vague on the details of their price promise but it came down to the fact that at £650 it wasnt worth them doing.

21. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't this mean that Kef should then make it so that the Dealers can compete as opposed to just cutting internet sales out of the equation?

What a stupid statement! It's benefiting the customer who's saving around 30%, it's also benefiting the company selling it to the customer - again it's Kef's & the 'Dealer's' inadequecies that mean such huge price differences are available in the first place. It may sound stupid, but it's kef's responsiblity to level the playing field in terms of what price these products can actually be had for (IMHO). It's a simple logic, if a customer can get something they want for significantly cheaper than they've found it at their local store then they're going to chose the money-saving route aren't they?

Surely the internet 'non dealer' customer is already going to be aware of this information? You can't really expect them to pay extra to a dealer who (often badly) advises them of what they're already aware.

That's Kef's fault - not the customer's.

If the non-AV-Junkie is looking to buy online - shouldn't Kef's website provide them with much of the information they need?

Isn't that why dealers have appointements for demonstrations?

Agreed - just because a potential customer isn't an A/V Junkie it doesn't mean they have no intuition. They can tell when a Sales Advisor is talking absolute crap & it's often the case that they won't buy from that same sales rep (or shop).

I can understand why this is a problem for Kef in the real world - if dealers can't sell their products they aren't going to buy them from Kef. But clearly by cutting out mail-order Kef have simply moved the problem from net/phone-purchasing to a slight inconvenience of long distances for customers to travel.

Sort it out Kef!

22. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Funny that, as the local one (Cheltenham) said they'd match any internet deals!! Haven't tried them in anger with hard cash - yet! - but would they say it if they didn't mean it?

Still, there's always Barclaycard's price promise if all else fails!

23. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Audio T in Brentwood, price matched a 2011, kef eggs mk2 and a panny hs2 dvd recorder, they also did the speaker cable foc just like ca :)

24. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,846
    My local Audio-T (Epsom) did a price match on the Kef 2005.2 aswell, including all the extra leads as offered by CA.

Maybe worth trying another branch if it is feasible.

Ricky

Just thought I would add that I am VERY VERY happy with the speakers.:clap:

25. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was going to buy these speakers from CA until I read all this.

Frustration of your dealers at 'internet' companies? First of all, Creative-Audio look like a legit store to me, possibly been around a while WHO just happen to have a website that lets you view products and order over the phone.

Secondly, why the hell should I care about dealers? I'm the customer, it's my job to find the best deal, if the best deal is £200 cheaper from a store 200miles away, then tough crap, I'm ordering from the store 200 miles away.

Thirdly, why do Kef care whether their dealers can't compete? Surely all the retailers pay the same price for Kef's products, if everyone buys Kef products using the cheapest store then what's the problem? Kef still make their money and their product is still selling.

Next off, can't compete? What a load of crap. We're talking about companies in the business of selling high end AV equipment. These products are expensive. You can't compete? How the hell did you get the funding to get in this business?

Kef's policy sucks, 'breach of contract' 'distance selling'? what the fudge is that all about. CA should let it go to court, hopefully the judge would realise that the outcome effects him as a consumer. You can' buy product at price X because Kef say so? Intead you have to pay £200 more at your local dealer? bullcrap.

A message to Kef: you're worried about your dealers? They're crying at you because they can't compete? Do you honestly think that customers will pay the price at the local dealer when the KNOW they can get it £200 cheaper elsewhere? Hell no. If they can't buy your product at the cheaper price then they're likely to get speakers of the same price and quality from another manufacturer. You need to ask yourself, what's more important, dealers or customers? Maybe 90% of your dealers will boycott you, but customers would just go to the other 10% whop are selling your product at the cheaper price. You're still selling products, what's the worry? It's better a few dealers are annoyed at you than losing your customer base.

It sucks, the only AV dealer in Blackpool is Practical HiFi, I checked their website (and I assume it's the same company) and the Kef's are £740. I was going to email them and ask if they'd price match but was a little put off when I saw their email address is gay@practicalhi-fi.co.uk, surely that's a freaking joke?

26. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    and just to summarise....

I imagine CA are happily selling more Kef 2005.2 packages a day as most other retailers sell in a week.

They are happy to make less margin per unit for greater profit overall. And they have an ENORMOUS catchment area with customers willing to travel great distances to make significant savings (I'll be driving over from Peterborough soon)

If there is price fixing between Kef and the main retailers, it seems Kef are shooting themselves and their main clients in the foot.

CA should be applauded for putting the customer first and deserve :clap: not :suicide: from Kef.

Big A

27. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hopefully CA won't get into hot water from KEF, who could refuse to supply them with the Eggs. Lose one dealer, but all the others are still happy and can sell at full price.
    :thumbsdow

28. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well said.

Unfortunately I don't drive and trying to convince someone to do a round trip can be a major pain in the ass. If anyone from the North West shall be making a trip to CA at the end of this month and fancies picking me some eggs up let me know :)

On another note, couldn't CA find a loophole? Say, if they were to set up a sub-company, resell their Kef products to the sub company and then use the sub company (not bound by any contract) for mail and internet orders? Or would Kef just stop supplying CA?

Personally I find this insulting, as someone else said, Kef's products are being sold via the internet all over Europe so why should it be any different here?

Maybe we should complain to Trading Standards and perhaps contact Watchdog?

[Update]

So yeah, I just phone my local dealer and ask him if they sell the eggs. He says yes. I ask if they price match, he says yes, then asks what sort of price. I tell him £650 and I can hear his jaw hit the floor. He stutters a bit then tells me he can do it for £720. I tell him this is still a fair amount more than the other place to which he replies "Yeah, but you can't order them online... so what can you do?"

Sorry Kef, what was it you said? It's not price fixing? ********.

I asked if he'd throw in some speaker cable for the £720 price. He replies with "well, I'm sure we could do you some deal, it'd only be entry level stuff though".

Why should I have to put up with this crap? Why the hell would anyone want to pay £720 for a product they KNOW they can get for £650? I'd rather find a way to CA, it'd still be cheaper than going local.

29. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was looking to buy the eggs, I phoned CA. I asked if I could buy the eggs over the phone. No problem with that. I then asked if I could arrange for them to be picked up from London by a courier service. They phoned KEF to ask if that would be ok and KEF said NO!!!!!

They said it still amounted to mail selling even though I was arranging the delivery myself. It would have been ok however if I got someone I knew to pick them up for me and deliver them to my door.

I have to thank CA because they tried to help me as much as they could but they obviously didn't want to do anything that spoilt there relationship with KEF.

30. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Kef are a bunch of idiots. I don't drive, even if I lived in Shrewsbury, how the hell would I get them home? I'd have to arrange some type of delivery. I just emailed CA asking if someone came into the store and paid over the counter, would they be able to deliver... to...*cough*.. Blackpool.. *cough*