Kef 2005.2 replacements

stuartharrison

Novice Member
Reaction score
Ive been out of the AV world for quite some time but my kids have finally moved out so I have money to spend again :D

My trusty (i.e. "old") KEF 2005.2 speakers have done me well. Currently matched up to a SONY STR-DN1050 (not quite so old).

Last week the Subwoofer died. Making loud noises with no input (not a constant buzzing or a crackling - more a mixture of the two). Not sure if its worth fixing or not but ive obviously started looking at possible replacements.

The criteria ? Wifey says they have to look "nice" - the KEF "eggs" have been popular in the living room whereas black oblongs would be banned. Floor standing speakers are a definite no. The room is about 20 foot by 10 foot so not huge.

Ive been looking at some of the following:
  • Focal Dome (Flax or Dome sub)
  • B&W MT-50 and MT-60D
  • Monitor Audio Mass
  • Dali Fazon 3
  • KEF 305 (at a push as these look big:p)

my question is this - are any of the above likely to be a big improvement over my existing KEFs ? Ive always been impressed by the sound and volume they provided and the 10" KEF sub worked well until recently.

If none will be noticeably better i may well just try and repair/replace my existing sub. if i'm likely to be blown away by newer speakers then take my money now !

Or does anyone have any other options to throw into the mix maybe ? (not just standard box speakers though)

Expensive sideway move to buy those new. Shame you can´t consider "normal" sized speakers like Kef Q150 and Q250c.

If you can find the Kef E301 l/r as used then you could try those as few members have swapped from the older Eggs to latest and they were reported as decent step up. But they shouldn`t cost much. The white E301 center channel is still available. You could just swap the LCR (front three) if you find matching finish to your 2005.2..

If you are happy with the speakers you could just buy new subwoofer. There is no requirement for it to match to your speakers. Kef woofers has lot of amp faults, i would steer away from them. Best to look manufacturers who specialize in woofers. For a local UK company BK Electronics is most popular and has woofers to suit your room/decor without breaking bank:

Expensive sideway move to buy those new. Shame you can´t consider "normal" sized speakers like Kef Q150 and Q250c.

If you can find the Kef E301 l/r as used then you could try those as few members have swapped from the older Eggs to latest and they were reported as decent step up. But they shouldn`t cost much. The white E301 center channel is still available. You could just swap the LCR (front three) if you find matching finish to your 2005.2..

If you are happy with the speakers you could just buy new subwoofer. There is no requirement for it to match to your speakers. Kef woofers has lot of amp faults, i would steer away from them. Best to look manufacturers who specialize in woofers. For a local UK company BK Electronics is most popular and has woofers to suit your room/decor without breaking bank:

Cheers - to be honest I hadnt even considered going elsewhere for the subwoofer. back in the day i think everyone went matching. Thanks for the BK link. The wooden casings might keep my wife happier :D

The "sideways move" comment is what worried me. I wasnt sure if i would really see benefits for the (up to) £1500 spend. Seems like a £300 to £500 subwoofer spend might be the best route.

Cheers - to be honest I hadnt even considered going elsewhere for the subwoofer. back in the day i think everyone went matching. Thanks for the BK link. The wooden casings might keep my wife happier :D

The "sideways move" comment is what worried me. I wasnt sure if i would really see benefits for the (up to) £1500 spend. Seems like a £300 to £500 subwoofer spend might be the best route.

I think @dollag swapped from 2000 serie eggs to newer ones, maybe he can comment.

But yeah 300-500£ sub, something like P12-300SB, XXLS400, Double Gem would be great! BK has new grade-b products here if you find some finish that ticks the boxes. They are in mint condition with full warranty. Sold often fast so don´t think too long if you find good one.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The 3000 eggs are a nice improvement over the 2000's, especially the centre speaker. much cleaner dialogue. i wouldnt say its a massive upgrade but it's an upgrade for sure.

A bk p12 df would be a very nice addition to the 3000's eggs.

If this is the size you can get away with, i'd snatch a s/h set of 3000's on ebay. They arent much larger and imo look a lot more modern than the 2000's.

I am still using a set for rears

Also @Gasp3621 recommendation for the e301's is a good one as they are the same size as the 2000's from memory

thanks both. BK have recommended the XLS200-DF as the closest match to the Kef PSW 2010. That doesnt have auto on/off so I'm tempted to go for the P12-300SB-DF instead as that has the feature. Not sure whether that would be way too overpowered ? I dont really want to change the other speakers unless i have to - im going to run a few tests to check they are still functioning correctly.

thanks both. BK have recommended the XLS200-DF as the closest match to the Kef PSW 2010. That doesnt have auto on/off so I'm tempted to go for the P12-300SB-DF instead as that has the feature. Not sure whether that would be way too overpowered ? I dont really want to change the other speakers unless i have to - im going to run a few tests to check they are still functioning correctly.

No it won´t overpower. You are in control how loud it plays. Quite the opposite i think your system would sound even better with P12! In US people have partnered the Eggs with 12" Rythmik, SVS SB2000 subs without issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom