1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF 2005.2 Receiver match?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ali K, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy the KEF "eggs", and was wondering what amp in the 300-500 pound price range works well with these. I am currently undecided between Yamaha 640, ONKYO 601 or 701 or a Denon 2803 (or possibly a Harman Kardon in a similar price range), can anyone help? As I am currently in th Middle East, I will not be able to audition the set up, so your opinions will be great;y appreciated!!! The home theater room is about 170 square foot, but I am also looking to use the amp to drive a pair of stereo speakers in the reception room.

2. boibknud

boibknud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ali,

I just got the Denon 2803 together with a KEF KHT 5005 and some extra speakers in a separate room. So far it sounds great and seems good value.

The 2803 may be a slight 'overkill' for the KEF eggs though. If you are looking at the KHT 1005 you could do with a smaller/cheaper amp if you only need small extra speakers in your reception room. For the 2005.2 and 5005 I think the 2803 is a good choice and it gives plenty of power for my 5005 and extra speakers. Setup is not easy though and the manual is not the most informative.

The 2803 also gives you the option of a separate zone in another room. With an extra preamp this gives you the opportunity to play another source in the other room (for example playing a DVD in the living room while playing a cd in the other room).

Hope that helps.

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I use a Denon 1804 with a set of eggs, and it sounds great. Unless you think you're likely to upgrade at some point in the near-ish future, the 1804 will probably fit the bill. I compared it to a Yam 640, and preferred the Denon.

I don't think the 1804 has the 2803's zoning capability though, if that's what you're looking for. But then again, I don't remember seeing it on the Yam 640 either.

Balders.

4. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You All!!!!

I am actually getting the 2005.2s and was planning on a pair of Q3s for the second zone. I think if I can stretch the budget (most of the money has so far been spent on the projector and related paraphelia) I'll get the 2803 if not then I'll settle for the 1804:(

The good bit is that I gather from your comments that Denon is a good match for KEF speakers and that was what I was worried about. It seems from the Denon specs that the 1804 has a/b switching (which is enough for me) but no zone 2 capability

Incidentally, has anyone tried subtituting a Q6C for the front center egg and using the that for center back?

5. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you want to rive two sets of front speakers at once, then make sure that the speakers/ amp are suitable for this. The Denon does state on the back (and in the manual) that if you want to use A and B outputs, then the speakers must be in a specified impedance range. Worth checking before you make your purchases!

There are a couple of other threads to do with replacing the front egg with a Q6C/Q9C, with some positive feedback. I'm quite interested in doing this too - not necessarily because I think the front egg is bad, but because I want an extra egg for 6.1, and it's a toos up between an egg or a Q6C. If you do go down this route, let us know how you get on.

Balders.

6. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I e-mailed KEF and they said that the Yam 640 is very good match and one they used at a recent AV show, it is also cheaper than either Denon. I wasn't planning on using A/B at the same time rather as an either/or option

7. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also sopke to the locaol KEF dealer and he agreed to lend me a Q9C for a day, though I think the Q6C would be a better match as the sensitivity is more similar. I'll keep you posted on how this develops

8. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll buck the trend here and suggest the Harman Kardon AVR230 or higher model.

We always find that HK suits the KHT2005 better due to its slightly smoother and larger soundstage.

I always found the Denon (2803 / 3803) to be a bit too lively for my liking and a bit shouty (apologies to anyone who has this combination and loves it - its a personal taste thing).

Although as mentioned above the KHT5005 and Denon combo works much better.