Kef 2005.2 or Mordaunt short Genies

strix123

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Denon 1909 on order and am looking for speakers to make up a 7.1

i have £500 to spend on 5.1 and a further 150 to make up to 7.1.

i did want to purchase some quad l-ite's as they have great review in silver but have had a lot of trouble sourcing them as they are discontinued.

so i think it will come down to a choice between Kef kht 2005.2 or Mordaunt Short Genies which are both availble for £399 and can get extra surrounds to make up 7.1

so would appreciate comments between the two or other suggestion

Also how does the Q Acoustic 1010i 5.1 compare with possibly 1020's at the front

my room is 24ft x 12ft and all speakers will be wall mounted

Speakers will be used for:

Sky
Ps3 blue ray/hd gaming
dvd
music

comments/advice greatly appreciated

I have the KEF 2005.3's, they come with the wall mounting brackets built into the base. I have to say that other than the sub having to be replaced (KEF says they have only had 4 back out of all the ones they have sold) the system sounds magnificent. Even listening to music (380kbs mp3) I have been picking up extra instruments that i didnt even realise were in the soundtrack. My Dad was a musician for 20 years, he has prefered tracks that he listens to when buying speakers etc, I played a couple of these on my system and he was well impressed. The Eagles hotel california from the Dvd Audio Disk is very good indeed. Batman Begins in True HD is amazing, the part where the Tumbler is chasing through the streets, the sub is so clear, it feels like the cars are driving right through you when the shot pans!

I have listened to the Q Acoustics 1010i and I thought the Kube 2 sub sounded better. As the speakers are set to small on the amp, it lets them get on with mid and trebble, which the Uni-Q driver in the 2005's really does well.

Hope this helps.

Your only problem is the 2005.2 doesn't have the Kube-2 subwoofer which is definately a major improvement over the old sub in the 2005.2 or the Q Acoustics 1000Si.

Have you considered using Q Acoustics 1030i as fronts. They will give you a more powerful and musical solution.

read the posts re the quality of the KEF sub before you decide anything the quality is VERY woeful

hi

do not want 1030's as they are floor stander's (or should i say she does not want floor standers)

have also found kef 3005(non se) for around £100 more than the kef 2005.2 or the genies would this be a big improvement and worth while spending the extra money

any comments or other speakers you feel i should be considering for this budget

hi

do not want 1030's as they are floor stander's (or should i say she does not want floor standers)

have also found kef 3005(non se) for around £100 more than the kef 2005.2 or the genies would this be a big improvement and worth while spending the extra money

any comments or other speakers you feel i should be considering for this budget
yes, definately

Any opinions on the Genies, as I'm considering them - found em for £379?

hi

where did you see the genies for 379 and did that include postage

haven't heard any comments (good or bad) on the genies but also would appreciate view from the forum.

Hi,
I think i am going to buy the kef 3005 none se but have already chased cabling into the wall for 7.1 system but am strugling to find extra surrounds at a decent price.

if i was to use a pair of 2005.2 for the sides how would this effect the system or is there any other solutions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom