1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef 2005.2 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jason44mag, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi all

I need help in setting up the kef subwoofer and speaker settings through my yamaha amp.

the switches on the sub have got me totally confused crossover etc?

also on the amp when setting up the speakers you can put the marker in the middle on the speaker set option but where do you put the subwoofer, at the minuete of got three quaters along, hope this makes sense.

my apologise for the learners question but any help would be grateful.

cheers Jason

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Jason,

I know just how you feel - I went through the same process with my eggs and a Denon amp! Setting up the 2005.2 package is pretty much like any speaker setup, so you should be able to find several helpful topics on the forums (take a look in the subwoofer forum for more info on sub positioning and setup).

I'll try to summarise the basics:

1 - Speakers

Your amp will have a test tone function, so set this to play, nd then adjust all the speaker levels until all speakers sound the same, volume-wise. If possible, borrow (or buy) and sound meter to do this as it's more accurate. Your manual should tell you what volume the test tone should be at (eg 75db). If you haven't got a sound meter, then I'd leave the fronts at 0 and adjust the others to be audibly the same.

You'll also need to set the distance for each speaker - just measure it with a tape measure and set it in the amp.

All speakers should be set to Small an the amp

Amp Crossover - generally 100 - 120 Mhz works best with the eggs.

2 - Subwoofer

Crossover Dial -
    It's generally best to let the amp take care of the crossover, so just set this to the max (ie turn fully to the right).

Phase Dial
    Start at 0. You'll need to adjust this if your sub is on a different axis to the speakers (as far as I understand it). Basically, you need to sit in your listening position, and have someone gradually turn the phase dial until the bass sounds loudest to you. Then leave the phase dial on this loudest position.

Volume Dial
    Start at roughly 1/3 -1/2. After setting up the speaker levels, you'll need to put on something bassy and adjust the volume until you're comfortable with it. Once you're happy with it, leave the volume at this level, and adjust the sub woofer levels on the amp for different source types if necessary (eg you may want to increase the sub volume when listening to music)

Slope Switch
    Controls how sharp the crossover is. I have mine set to 24 Db, as this is supposed to be a gentler crossover (although I haven't studied it too much)

Cinema/ Music Switch
    Controls whether the sub emphasises the lower frequencies to give you the "slam" effect (cinema), or is more evenly distributed (music). I find that I prefer Music as it's less boomy.

If you've got a THX disc (eg Monsters Inc, Star Wars, Terminator etc), you can use the THX optimiser on it to check your setup (wires the right way round, crossover sounds correct, etc).

Hope this helps, and shout if you've got any other questions.

Balders.

3. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks Balders ill give this a try your help is very much appreciated.