KEF 1000.2 Subwoofer grinding/buzzing, not outputting audio

netgem21

Hey!

While sleeping, I was woken up to my subwoofer making a loud buzzing/grinding noise. I've tried turning it off and on again but now it's mostly silent and not outputting anything at all.

What can I do? I think it's about 5 years old, is that a pretty average lifespan for subs?

Thanks in advance! :)

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Sounds a bit broken - if it's not an actual speaker noise but a real grinding noise, then it could be that something's gone badly wrong with its coil etc. If that's the case then it would explain why it's now not outputting anything, and the driver (speaker) itself is probably gone.

5 years isn't neither here nor there, it's all down to how you treat a sub and how well built it was in the first place.

netgem21

Sounds a bit broken - if it's not an actual speaker noise but a real grinding noise, then it could be that something's gone badly wrong with its coil etc. If that's the case then it would explain why it's now not outputting anything, and the driver (speaker) itself is probably gone.

5 years isn't neither here nor there, it's all down to how you treat a sub and how well built it was in the first place.

Thanks for your reply! I've spoken to Kef and we've determined it's probably an issue with the amp on the rear of the sub. Repair is underway! :)

Frank1471

Hey!

While sleeping, I was woken up to my subwoofer making a loud buzzing/grinding noise. I've tried turning it off and on again but now it's mostly silent and not outputting anything at all.

What can I do? I think it's about 5 years old, is that a pretty average lifespan for subs?

Thanks in advance! :)
You probably have the common "Buzzing relay fault" that ALL the PSW models suffer from.
Its a very cheap repair unless you go to Kef.
Frank

sergiup

Distinguished Member
You probably have the common "Buzzing relay fault" that ALL the PSW models suffer from.
Its a very cheap repair unless you go to Kef.
Frank

Should've remembered that, whoops! You're a star as usual with the KEF faults, thanks Frank!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom