Keeping XTZ Cinema 1x12 or go for Arendal 1723 1s or 2xArendal 1961 1s or Arendal 1961 1v?

Patrik72

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum so this question might have been up several times before. As we just have built a weekend home we will have a second smaller surround sound setup there. I have decided to go for the XTZ Spirit 2 and 6 as we have limited space and they have to be wall mounted. My issues are what way to go for the subwoofer. At home we have a single XTZ Cinema 1x12 that have served us well over the last 5 years, I do not lack much in the low end but there could always be a bit more. So it got me think if I should bring the XTZ 1x12 to the weekend home and upgrade at home, the other option would probably be to get an XTZ 12:17 edge or similar for the weekend home.

As I am in Sweden I have seen a lot of advertisement for the Arendal subs. So this got me thinking if a move to one or two of these would be an upgrade worth the cost. My budget for the sub/subs are max 1600 € but it is ok if it would be less. So within this budget I can fit the following options

• 2x Arendal 1961 1S (1600€)
  • Arendal 1961 1V (1000€)
  • Arendal 1723 1S (1300€)
  • Arendal 1723 1V (1600€)
My problem with number 4 on this list is that I see problems to get acceptance to bring such a beast in to the living room so for the moment it is less realistic. Some information about the room that the sub is placed in. The room is difficult as it is L shaped but opens up to the hallway and the kitchen, i.e. the room is actually F shaped and total floor space is estimated to 45 m2 and we have about 2,5 m to the sealing. So this gives there is a rather large volume of air to pressurise but the existing XTZ Cinema 1x12 manage to do this in a rather good way. We use the system 80% movie/tv and 20 % music. The rest of the system consist of PMC FB1+ (L R), PMC DB1 (C), JM Lab Focal Bird as surround and surround back. This is all connected to an old ONKYO TX-NR 3009. So as you see there are several more possible upgrades in the coming years where a change to Arendal speakers is a possibility.

So first of all I would like to get an opinion from someone that might have experience from both the XTZ Cinema 1x12 and either of the Arendal subs if they see that going for the Arendal solutions would be an upgrade or not? I am also very interested if any one of you think that the 2x Arendal 1961 1S is better than one single 1723 1S now (and might in the future add a second 1723 1S)?

The CEA 2010 data for the 1723 1S looks rather similar to the data of the XTZ Cinema so in my mind I guess that I would not lack much in output going for that one will I at the same time get more possibilities to use the Peq to address possible nodes and nuls in the room that I today have to rely on the Onkyo receiver to solve.

I hope that my questions are not too difficult to answer.
/Patrik

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
We have member who swapped one 1x12 Cinema to 2x 1961 1S, and liked the Arendals more, but it was in small room and two subs vs. one so not fair fight. Clearly the situation is very different as you have room many times larger to him where there is less support from room.

2x1961 1S better than 1723 1S? For the time being it can be as you get smoother response when placed optimally. But as you can add another 1723 1S later then that would make more sense in long run. The 1723 is still their top range and they have said sound quality wise it`s still ahead of 1961 products and of course the larger cab and driver with extra power guarantees better performance.

You have not watched correctly the data cause there is clear difference, 3-5db more headroom from 16-63hz for the 1x12 Cinema, that is for 2M RMS both. And of course it´s going to sound different vented vs. sealed so for some it could be underwhelming who has got used to strong low end with rumble (vented model).

XTZ 1x12 Cinema (THX Ultra rated) is still good compact sized sub. They could have got more out from it with larger cabinet, but lot of people looking sub for lounge doesn´t want washing machine so there needs to be balance. XTZ is going to introduce new version with Edge amp (700w/1045w) for it, but i would have wished also "XL" version for it for more dramatic change in performance. The IcePower amp is high quality with PEQ feature and comes with 5year warranty!

FYI XTZ also has dual driver and dual opposite sealed 2x12 models which are built from order i think.

If you are looking more low end with deeper extension (down to 10hz) then the 1723 1V (x2) would be the way to go. But it´s going to be tricky to get them placed optimally if wife thinks they are too large. SVS PB3000 would be great option too, but it´s not small either and the finish is straight from 90s. The 1961 1V looks to be slight downgrade if judging measured performance so it wouldn´t make any sense to get larger box with less/similar performance.

Adding 2nd XTZ 1x12 Cinema isn´t necessarily bad idea if you get one for good price or perhaps if you get the new Edge version and it seems you can swap the Edge amp to your old 1x12 too with adapter plate!

Last edited:

Patrik72

Standard Member
We have member who swapped one 1x12 Cinema to 2x 1961 1S, and liked the Arendals more, but it was in small room and two subs vs. one so not fair fight. Clearly the situation is very different as you have room many times larger to him where there is less support from room.

2x1961 1S better than 1723 1S? For the time being it can be as you get smoother response when placed optimally. But as you can add another 1723 1S later then that would make more sense in long run. The 1723 is still their top range and they have said sound quality wise it`s still ahead of 1961 products and of course the larger cab and driver with extra power guarantees better performance.

You have not watched correctly the data cause there is clear difference, 3-5db more headroom from 16-63hz for the 1x12 Cinema, that is for 2M RMS both. And of course it´s going to sound different vented vs. sealed so for some it could be underwhelming who has got used to strong low end with rumble (vented model).

XTZ 1x12 Cinema (THX Ultra rated) is still good compact sized sub. They could have got more out from it with larger cabinet, but lot of people looking sub for lounge doesn´t want washing machine so there needs to be balance. XTZ is going to introduce new version with Edge amp (700w/1045w) for it, but i would have wished also "XL" version for it for more dramatic change in performance. The IcePower amp is high quality with PEQ feature and comes with 5year warranty!

FYI XTZ also has dual driver and dual opposite sealed 2x12 models which are built from order i think.

If you are looking more low end with deeper extension (down to 10hz) then the 1723 1V (x2) would be the way to go. But it´s going to be tricky to get them placed optimally if wife thinks they are too large. SVS PB3000 would be great option too, but it´s not small either and the finish is straight from 90s. The 1961 1V looks to be slight downgrade if judging measured performance so it wouldn´t make any sense to get larger box with less/similar performance.

Adding 2nd XTZ 1x12 Cinema isn´t necessarily bad idea if you get one for good price or perhaps if you get the new Edge version and it seems you can swap the Edge amp to your old 1x12 too with adapter plate!
Thanks a lot for all your good input. I have posted a question to XTZ what the benefits would be from swapping the existing amp to the Edge amp on my 1x12. I guess than that the only way not to downgrade at home would be to go for 2x 1723 1S or one 1723 1V. I will try to make a cardboard mockup of the 1723 1V and see if it would be possible to fit it in or not. As you mentioned it might be vise (and a lot cheaper ;-) to find a second 1x12 to complement the existing one with.
/Patrik

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom