Keeping video date when converting format

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Rob92, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Rob92

Rob92
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of trying to organise all my photos and video from the past decade+ as it's got too much. It's built up quickly over the last few years due to having young kids, and the advent of decent cameras on phones has meant I've built up lots of video and photos that I want to keep.

Now, my videos come to something like 80gig and I'm looking to convert them (currently using Handbrake) so they take up less space. I know 80gig doesn't sound a huge amount, when considering hard disk sizes, but I have photos too and ideally I'll backup to cloud storage.

My problem is that whenever I convert the video then the dates associated with it are set to the time of the conversion - so if I had a video that had a datestamp of 1st Jan 2005 and I convert it then it sets the date to today, which isn't something I want!

You'd think it'd be easy, e.g. if Handbrake (or other video converters) kept the original date, but rather annoyingly they don't!

I have done a lot of searching around and not found any answer to this, other than getting into the habit of naming files with the date - but that doesn't help with previously saved files.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
  3. Rob92

Rob92
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - that's an interesting way of doing it and would certainly keep the date no matter what way I converted it. I'm not sure that I'd want the date stamped on the video, though, so I'll have more of a look into it.

What I did find, though, was something called Advanced Renamer that would let me automatically rename my video files with the date they were taken, as it would extract it from the exif information. Having the date in the filename is probably the best way I can find, but it's still a bit of a pain!