• Leave with no deal

Votes: 122 74.4%
  • Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So your telling me that the country is still tolerant to immigrants from other countries.

amazingly so, as long as you are coming here for the right reasons, have a legit reason and are willing to become a part of society.

if you have no intention of the above, then I would ask why would people be welcoming?

As mentioned in the GE thread race ethnicity where people are from it's all the same.

So your telling me that the country is still tolerant to immigrants from other countries.
Problem is it's now politicised with farage brexit the Tories as normal.
Sorry foreigners coming in here stealing all the benefits and council houses.
And not working lazy sods.

We needed 6 Software Engineers recently and UK ones either not available or not good enough. We now have 2 chaps from Africa, 2 chaps & one lady from China and this week a young lady from Pakistan started.

No Racism here. You just try to use racism as an excuse to stay in EU. Pathetic really.

After Brexit, someone from Europe with the needed skills will have the same chance to work/live here as other nationalities. If they are needed.

I understand full well about immigration from outside the EU have friends who pay thousands in visa fees to live and work over here.
Stop shoehorning people into your own bubble.

Shoe horning? Absolutley clueless. The majority of migrants from outside the EU are students. Those that are here for work are better qualified, have more skills and are better paid compared to EU citizens.

So no you don't know what you're talking about.

Michel Barnier has told EU politicians that he will prioritise nailing down the fundamentals of a new trade deal with Britain after Brexit and warned of the squeezed timetable to sort out the two sides’ broader future relationship. The EU’s chief negotiator said that the 11 months from Britain’s planned EU exit on January 31 until the end of its transition period would normally be far too short to negotiate a trade agreement, but that Brussels would strive to have a deal in place for the end of 2020, according to people briefed on the closed-door meeting with MEPs in Strasbourg on Tuesday. But he also said that the future-relationship talks would have to focus initially on core trading arrangements, such as plans for duty-free, quota-free trade in goods, that could be put in place without needing to wait for ratification by national parliaments throughout the EU. He also told MEPs that ensuring continued strong co-operation with the UK on security and defence was another top priority for Brussels in the negotiations. Other issues beyond the scope of the free trade agreement, such as concluding an agreement on road haulage and on aircraft take-off and landing rights, could take longer, Mr Barnier said, with the option for Brussels to take contingency measures to prevent economic disruption if talks were to continue past the end of 2020.

I understand full well about immigration from outside the EU have friends who pay thousands in visa fees to live and work over here.
Some of your best friends are migrants? Interesting variation.

Do we think they need us more than we need them? I'm quite happy to leave on WTO rules and always have been.

As expected many remainers don't understand we want out.

We? Not all Brexiteers want to leave on WTO terms only. Some sectors would be fine trading on WTO, but not all. Also, it will take even longer to negotiate a trade deal with the EU if we crash out. Better to have some continuity whilst the future relationship is worked out.

That makes no sense. If immigration from outside of the EU (where you are more likely to be a different race) has gone up then where is the evidence of an increase in racism?
I was talking about society as a whole immigration brexit prime minister increasing hatred of other people.
Think the pm over saw a 300% rise in racial hat crime on his comments alone.

We? Not all Brexiteers want to leave on WTO terms only. Some sectors would be fine trading on WTO, but not all. Also, it will take even longer to negotiate a trade deal with the EU if we crash out. Better to have some continuity whilst the future relationship is worked out.

This unfortunately seems lost on hard Brexiter's. Just going to WTO doesn't mean everything is going to be straight forward beyond that. And that's not just Remainer's talking either.

I was talking about society as a whole immigration brexit prime minister increasing hatred of other people.

Well we have seen a rise in antisemitism from the Labour Party as well but I'm not sure you can pin that on Brexit.

This keeps coming up. Reporting went up, convictions fell.

Think the PM oversaw a 300% rise in racial hate crime on his comments alone.
Quoting such an enormous rise, surely requires some sort of back up?

I note percentages were used as they sound bigger. Doesn't sound a lot considering the entire population of the UK.

1574973583574.png

I call sunspot activity...

I note percentages were used as they sound bigger. Doesn't sound a lot considering the entire population of the UK.

View attachment 1225690
stop using crap and meaningless statistic to justify your position!
It is safe to assume that you are neither Muslims nor women.

Johnson wrote the article to defend the right of women to wear whatever they wanted. However, he used extremely poor language, especially for a man of his position and education. This was not something that he said without thinking. It was something he wrote at leisure, re-read and still thought that it would be fine to use that poor selection of words.

Statistics have been used and abused in that manner for everybody but that it is not the point. It might seem insignificant an increase of 30 reports only if you are not one of the persons receiving the attacks. Needless to say that the statistics mention only the reported attacks not the actual attacks which more likely than not were far greater.

I personally believe that women should not cover their faces. Even when this is their choice, it is based on a patriarchal religion. Why men do not need to cover their faces? Saying that, I would not go writing that sort of phrases comparing women with letter boxes and bank robbers. I neither feel the need to confront these women to convince them otherwise let along shouting insults or telling them to go back to their country, especially when they already are.

It is safe to assume that you are neither Muslims nor women.
In this thread there's a lot of people who are trying to downplay Labour and its antisemitism.

By people who aren't Jewish.
Saying that, I would not go writing that sort of phrases comparing women with letter boxes and bank robbers.
And the comments have been done by many.

But oddly it's only Boris who keeps coming up.

I guess the left can always get away with it. Or people have short memories.

Polly Toynbee:

The top-to-toe burka, with its sinister, airless little grille, is more than an instrument of persecution, it is a public tarring and feathering of female sexuality. It transforms any woman into an object of defilement too untouchably disgusting to be seen. It is a garment of lurid sexual suggestiveness: what rampant desire and desirability lurks and leers beneath its dark mysteries? In its objectifying of women, it turns them into cowering creatures demanding and expecting violence and victimisation. Forget cultural sensibilities.

7. Relaunch the postbox

Since the burqa eye-opening has been called a letterbox slit, and with the privatisation of the Royal Mail, seize the moment to set up an independent mobile mail service, AKA The Burqa Post

You don’t hear the outraged of Twitter going on about the BBC and the Guardian mocking the burka. Stephen Fry made the same joke as Boris on Have I Got News For You, before Ian Hislop and Paul Merton joined in:

Stephen Fry: “I just posted something in that.”
Ian Hislop: “We must stop meeting like this, Camilla.”
Paul Merton: “Prince Charles is surprised when a pint of Guinness looks at him in a funny way.”

Jack Straw:

'I felt uneasy talking to someone I couldn't see'

Blair:

Tony Blair has said the wearing of full face veils by Muslim women is a "mark of separation" and made some "outside the community feel uncomfortable".

Gordon Brown:

Gordon Brown threw his weight behind Jack Straw last night and declared that it would be better for Britain if fewer Muslim women wore veils.

The Chancellor broke ranks to become the first Cabinet minister publicly to endorse Mr Straw's call for women to discard the veil, which he described as a symbol of separation.

The Government was plunged into disarray as a senior Minister accused Muslim women of being 'selfish' by refusing to stop wearing veils.

Amid growing signs that the controversy is causing civil disorder, Commons Leader Jack Straw's deputy Nigel Griffiths claimed that women who cover their faces in public are ignoring the feelings of others.

Labour yet again:

MUSLIM women who cover their faces with veils can be "frightening and intimidating", says Britain's Race Minister Phil Woolas.

And Labour's Emily Thornberry:

Jeremy Corbyn’s Shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry has been dragged into the row over Boris Johnson’s controversial comments about Muslim women, after it emerged she told a television audience: “I wouldn’t want my four year old looked after by somebody wearing a burka – I wouldn’t want my elderly mum looked after by somebody wearing a burka."

See Boris has been talking about the new points based immigration system coming into place on 1st Jan 2021. Assuming everything else goes to plan.

Long long overdue sensible policy should really be getting cross party support.

Chance of that happening lol....

Typical example above of how you can twist statistics to suit your argument by selecting the most sensational figures.

If 10 instances happened, then the next week there was 20, that's not really of any concern.
But say instances increased by 100%, then it gets everyone triggered.

In fact, you could actually say that in a four week period BoJo saw a 25% decrease in anti-muslim attacks.

Both are correct. Both are meaningless.

Last edited:
In this thread there's a lot of people who are trying to downplay Labour and its antisemitism.

By people who aren't Jewish.
And the comments have been done by many.

But oddly it's only Boris who keeps coming up.

I guess the left can always get away with it. Or people have short memories.
Antisemitism, Islamophobia or whichever form of discrimination should be criticised in very strong term.

All those examples that your posted and good examples of what NOT to do.

Labour has the antisemitic problem and the Tories the islamobia but both are a collective. When we use the term Labour or Tories, we cannot single out a particular person.

In the cases where you put examples of individuals, we could single out a person, but the reason Johnson keeps coming back is because he is the PM and potentially a next PM. Please do not misunderstand me, I am NOT justifying them. I will condemn them. I am just trying to explain why people keeps coming back to Johnson’s article.

If any leader of a party would have written something similar most likely they will be getting the same kind of fire because they are potentially PMs. Although, even the chances for Corbin are very slim.

It is not a matter of left or right. It is matter of using language that it is inflammatory and could cause serious harm.

In the cases where you put examples of individuals, we could single out a person, but the reason Johnson keeps coming back is because he is the PM and potentially a next PM. Please do not misunderstand me, I am NOT justifying them. I will condemn them. I am just trying to explain why people keeps coming back to Johnson’s article.
A lot of what is quoted regarding Boris has been said a long time ago.

As to his comments about burqas which was more recent not only have others said the same but a, he didn't call for a ban, b, a lot of people do have issues with it.

I don't see any men wearing a burqa.

A lot of what is quoted regarding Boris has been said a long time ago.

As to his comments about burqas which was more recent not only have others said the same but a, he didn't call for a ban, b, a lot of people do have issues with it.

I don't see any men wearing a burqa.

the burqa also has nothing to do with the religion.

Majid Nawaz has some good thoughts on many of these issues. Although even he isn’t safe from being called Islamophobic and Uncle Tom etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom