• Leave with no deal

Votes: 122 74.4%
  • Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese Economy Minister Yasutoshi Nishimura said on Wednesday that he hoped Britain would join the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), an 11-member free trade agreement, after it leaves the European Union.

Nishimura told reporters at the Japan National Press Club that negotiations about Britain’s entry into the free trade bloc can’t really take place as long as it remains an EU member.

Looking forward to the new opportunities.

Let's see what's in the fine print. Joining the TPP might stop us from doing certain things on trade with other countries.

Classic car crash - we will have another referendum but it wont be called a referendum.. :D

Brexit is a pure extreme leftist thing. Period.

Happy to hear the other side, but I perceive Brexit as more clearly in line with right wing ideals.

Principally the idea that government should be small and stay out of people's lives. Leaving the EU reduces the sizes of the overall bureaucratic state.

Second, controlling immigration and nationalism tend to be ideas that resonate more with the right and both of these sit at the heart of Brexit both politically and culturally now.

Happy to hear the other side, but I perceive Brexit as more clearly in line with right wing ideals.

Principally the idea that government should be small and stay out of people's lives. Leaving the EU reduces the sizes of the overall bureaucratic state.

Second, controlling immigration and nationalism tend to be ideas that resonate more with the right and both of these sit at the heart of Brexit both politically and culturally now.

might want to let know 5 million labour voters know they are right wing :rotfl:

Tony Benn and his opposition to the EU means he's right wing now?
He claimed the EEC was "bureaucratic and centralised" and "of course it is really dominated by Germany.

In 1980 he claimed that within weeks of a Labour Government all powers from Brussels would be returned to Westminster.

In September 2007 Benn called for the government to hold a referendum on the EU Reform Treaty.

The European Union is a capitalist club that makes it easy for multi-national companies to exploit workers throughout its member states, while the sovereignty of those states is increasingly meaningless, and we are all at the mercy of a vast, faceless bureaucracy.

Its parliamentary supporters are a mixture of the Labour left, who regard the EU as a capitalist club, and the Labour right, who lament its erosion of national sovereignty. Here's the full list: Ronnie Campbell, Rosie Cooper, John Cryer, Ian Davidson, Jim Dowd, Natascha Engel, Frank Field, Roger Godsiff, Kate Hoey, Kelvin Hopkins, John McDonnell, Austin Mitchell, Grahame Morris, Graham Stringer, Keith Vaz.

Rightly or wrongly it is often portrayed that way (right wing), especially by those on the remain side ;). But I agree with you, this is the first time I have seen it presented as a left wing endeavour.

Rightly or wrongly it is often portrayed that way (right wing), especially by those on the remain side ;). But I agree with you, this is the first time I have seen it presented as a left wing endeavour.

it would appear to be devoid of left or right but an issue with how you see the world beyond left and right and what level of “risk” people perceive. Remainers from what I can tell are cautions individuals on the whole.

Rightly or wrongly it is often portrayed that way (right wing), especially by those on the remain side ;). But I agree with you, this is the first time I have seen it presented as a left wing endeavor.

There is only one major Party who have ever advocated leaving the EU and that was Labour when they were going through their extreme left-wing phase in the 80's

What about the Conservatives and the Labour Party in 2017? IIRC they both did.

Aren't the Conservatives advocating leaving right now?

Pacifico is in the States ( :rotfl:) perhaps he's having problems with keeping up with UK politics :devil:

Pacifico is in the States ( :rotfl:) perhaps he's having problems with keeping up with UK politics :devil:

Ah right - to be fair is probably hard to summon the motivation to keep up if you aren't affected by the outcome.

Too much Trump stress I think, not able to think straight :)

Aren't the Conservatives advocating leaving right now?

Correct - but there is a difference between agreeing to uphold the result of a referendum and having that as a party policy because you are ideologically opposed to membership.

Correct - but there is a difference between agreeing to uphold the result of a referendum and having that as a party policy because you are ideologically opposed to membership.

So you are saying the current Conservative party aren't idealogically opposed to membership and the leadership haven't for example formerly campaigned to leave?

So you are saying the current Conservative party aren't idealogically opposed to membership and the leadership haven't for example formerly campaigned to leave?

I have already said that the party has changed its position to comply with the wishes of electorate. As for being ideologically opposed I doubt that has changed much as the Party membership hasn't changed a lot.

I would point out that only 138 Tory MP's supported leave in the Referendum out of a total of 330.

I have already said that the party has changed its position to comply with the wishes of electorate. As for being ideologically opposed I doubt that has changed much as the Party membership hasn't changed a lot.

I would point out that only 138 Tory MP's supported leave in the Referendum out of a total of 330.

I would point out that their leader was the figurehead of the leave campaign.

Yet the current PM, and the majority of his Cabinet and SPADs ran the official Leave Campaign, before the public voted either way.

edit - as above!

Yet the current PM, and the majority of his Cabinet and SPADs ran the official Leave Campaign, before the public voted either way.

edit - as above!

Simply swapping leaders is not going to change the ideology of the party as a whole - thats like claiming that as soon as May became Leader the Party was in favor of a Dementia Tax

And Cameron was leading the Remain campaign - or was he not in the Tory party?

And Johnson, a Brexit fantic, is leading the Tory party now and the Tory party re-election manifesto is for Brexit 'without dither or delay' (again) and anyone not in Brexit mode gets fired.

I think we can agree only two major parties have had a pro-brexit stance - Labour and the Torrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom