• Leave with no deal

Votes: 122 74.4%
  • Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I will celebrate, its not a failure of the UK state.
Of course Scotland leaving would be a failure of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. At the very least there would be some renaming to be done by rUK and a division of assets.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why Scotland wants independence especially given this Brexit saga, but I don't think it would a matter for rUK to celebrate.

Last edited:
Of course Scotland leaving would be a failure of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. At the very least there would be some renaming to be done by rUK and a division of assets.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why Scotland wants independence especially given this Brexit saga, but I don't think it would a matter for rUK to celebrate.

It would not be a failure at all. Division of assets? Scotland run a massive deficit, how about they take their share of the deficit.

As for Scotland joining the EU, their deficit is 3 times higher than that allowed though knowing the EU they will cook the books like they did with Greece.

The rUK would move all jobs out of Scotland etc, lets see them prosper when when they have to raise taxes etc and scrap everything they currently get for free.

It would not be a failure at all. Division of assets? Scotland run a massive deficit, how about they take their share of the deficit.

As for Scotland joining the EU, their deficit is 3 times higher than that allowed though knowing the EU they will cook the books like they did with Greece.

The rUK would move all jobs out of Scotland etc, lets see them prosper when when they have to raise taxes etc and scrap everything they currently get for free.

Hi mate

Where do you live?

Scotland would have to adopt the Euro without doubt, they will not keep the Scottish pound. They will be another bail out country added to the chain around France and Germany's neck. Without the rest of the union propping the EU up, I cant see them being overjoyed at the prospect from a financial point of view.
At the end of the day they need more coming in than going out. Albania and other East Euro Country's are yet a further financial burden too.

England. Why?

I am curious why you have a big bee in your bonnet about the Scots running a deficit, unless you live in the south east or London then the region you live in probably runs at a deficit. Does that mean that these regions provide no use and we are best just cutting lose? Just trying to understand your angle

I am curious why you have a big bee in your bonnet about the Scots running a deficit, unless you live in the south east or London then the region you live in probably runs at a deficit. Does that mean that these regions provide no use and we are best just cutting lose? Just trying to understand your angle

TBF regions of a Country are hardly comparable to a Country as a whole.

In the case of Scotland I think it is comparable. By way of example, if Scotland was independent there are parts of Government that would be based in Edinburgh rather than London, so that distorts the picture.

Hi Mate

My thinking was that all parts of the UK offer something of value regardless of whether they run at a deficit or not so I don't really understand people having a go on this point when the majority of the UK is ran the same way

I'm not aware of any political party in say the North East of England standing on a platform for that region to become independent.

If they do, then fair play to them if they can convince enough people there to support the idea.

If that happens, then you can be sure people like me will be pointing out the economic problems they are likely to have. But they have the absolute right to self determination if they voted for independence regardless.

Running a deficit? Its a massive deficit and its the English that's paying for free university places, free prescriptions etc. I lived in London for a number of years.

I'm sick of the SNP banging the independence drum. If Scotland want independence let them have it. They will realise that things will have to change

Running a deficit? Its a massive deficit and its the English that's paying for free university places, free prescriptions etc. I lived in London for a number of years.

I'm sick of the SNP banging the independence drum. If Scotland want independence let them have it. They will realise that things will have to change

Every region of the UK apart from London and the South East are net beneficiaries.

How Scotland and Wales spend their devolved budgets for health and education are irrelevant.

I was about to say the same. It's funny how quickly people are ready to shout, when maybe their area is one that most benefited from the very thing they are against. ( see Devon and the brexit vote. hilarious!). But to see now people so against Scotland and Ireland, it just shows the division brexit has created. Or was it always there? You always hated each other?

Last edited:
Who knew you'd have your say. The SNP want another referendum and want to leave the UK, they're voting on matters which may not concerned Scotland in a few years so they should keep their nose out.

When Scotland pay their way then maybe people will start to listen.
Your flawed argument is that all people of Scotland want to be independant. Just because the SNP never shut up about it doesn't mean the majority want it.

Similar situation as Remainers here. Just because they are the most vocal on-line and street protests doesn't mean the majority want to Remain.

Every region of the UK apart from London and the South East are net beneficiaries.

How Scotland and Wales spend their devolved budgets for health and education are irrelevant.

Irrelevant? Of course its not irrelevant. Its the English thats paying for it, reduce their budgets and spend the money in the poorer parts of England.

Irrelevant? Of course its not irrelevant. Its the English thats paying for it, reduce their budgets and spend the money in the poorer parts of England.

I think you’re missing the point - the way that devolved areas of the UK spend the money they receive is up to them. Even if you ‘reduced their budget’ they may still decide to pay tuition fees and pick up prescription costs because those things are important to them.

I think you’re missing the point - the way that devolved areas of the UK spend the money they receive is up to them. Even if you ‘reduced their budget’ they may still decide to pay tuition fees and pick up prescription costs because those things are important to them.

I'm not missing the point at all. Reduce their budgets and they have to reducing their spending. If they keep free university places and prescriptions they would have to cut other services etc.

I'm not missing the point at all. Reduce their budgets and they have to reducing their spending. If they keep free university places and prescriptions they would have to cut other services etc.

So in Wales they discovered that it cost more to administrate means testing for prescriptions than they received in prescription fees. So that makes sense to give them for free, right?

Regarding education, maybe Wales (and Scotland) see higher education as an investment in their future, and want to ensure there is fair access to it?

So how do you feel about the welfare state generally?

I wonder what would happen if the UK leaves the EU, then Scotland leaves the UK, and then the EU say no to Scotland joining.

Lots of ifs I admit, but a possible scenario all the same and the SNP needs to be very careful what they wish for.

I wonder what would happen if the UK leaves the EU, then Scotland leaves the UK, and then the EU say no to Scotland joining.

Lots of ifs I admit, but a possible scenario all the same and the SNP needs to be very careful what they wish for.

It would be very brave to issue another ref without some agreement in place with the EU if they win.

So in Wales they discovered that it cost more to administrate means testing for prescriptions than they received in prescription fees. So that makes sense to give them for free, right?

Regarding education, maybe Wales (and Scotland) see higher education as an investment in their future, and want to ensure there is fair access to it?

So how do you feel about the welfare state generally?

Its up to the Weish, they will have to make cuts in other places.

As for Scotland and their free university places, its the English paying for it due to the unfair Barnett Formula.

Why should I be bothered about the welfare state? Its there to help people who need help and I glady pay my taxes to support those who need help.

It would be very brave to issue another ref without some agreement in place with the EU if they win.
But would the EU want to take on another country with a deficit, another troublesome border with a non-member state and their debt (a share of UK debt for a start)? Is Scotland's leaving the UK based on the uncertain assumption that they could join the EU?

But would the EU want to take on another country with a deficit, another troublesome border with a non-member state and their debt (a share of UK debt for a start)? Is Scotland's leaving the UK based on the uncertain assumption that they could join the EU?

Which is why it would be prudent to meet the EU criteria before committing to a ref. I suspect that the EU would accept them. Strengthening the EU, weakening the UK.

Not sure what border troubles there would be between England and Scotland, tbh.

Not sure why they couldn't join the EU as they are already in it. With regards to the EU taking on another State that they have to bail out I think it would be the opposite - Scotland would be expected to chip in and fill the £10Bn hole left by the UK's exit. Remember the GDP per head of Scotland is higher than the average for the UK (if you include the oil and gas output), so assuming that the oil price doesn't collapse again then you would expect Scotlands contribution to the EU budget to be higher than it is now.

The larger deficit spending by Scotland can be easily overcome by cutting spending or raising taxes to meet the EU target.

So the benefits that Scotland currently enjoy by being part of the U.K. while still in the EU would not necessarily be replicated if they left the U.K. and then joined the EU independently. It could make them worse off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom